Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmochick View Post
I moved here last year because of Real Estate. I lived in So. Cali and 3 years in NYC prior.

I regret moving here. There's just no culture in this city.
The DFW area has a dozen art museums, several symphony orchestras, one of the best art/foreign/specialty film scenes in the United States, over 100 theatre companies...

Quote:
I guess it would be a good move for people coming from smaller states. Dallas is not cosmopolitan, it's still far from being a first rate state.
First of all, Dallas is not a state. Do you know how to speak English?

About 40% of the DFW population is foreign born or the children of foreign born. This includes dozens of nationalities.

Quote:
Downtown area is dead at night except for a few pockets of night life here and there.
Downtown Manhattan is dead at night. Downtown San Francisco i dead at night, so is dowtown Washington DC, downtown LA, etc. A downtown is a bunch of office buildings. Uptown Dallas, Deep Ellum, McKinney Ave, West End/Victory, West Village, Cedars, etc., are full of night life.

Quote:
Let's talk about real estate. I thought since it's very affordable it was a good idea to invest in a house here. Well, if I had 10 years to wither some more in this state, I should see good appreciation--maybe.
Housing is not supposed to be a get-rich-quick investment, it's a provision of a necessity of life. The ideal situation is for a house to be low in cost and appreciate slowly, in order to afford peoiple high quality shelter.

Quote:
Don't forget about the ridiculous school taxes. If you don't have kids and you own property, you still have to pay for school taxes. No exceptions!
You're out of your mind, or completely unreasonable. Is there a taxing jurisdiction in the USA where people without children are exempt from school taxes? If so, it's not a general rule to which Dallas is an exception.

Quote:
Scenery-- well they have no beaches, mountains--just a lot of traffic and still lot of undeveloped land and tons of hay.
The vast majority of cities in the United States and Europe, for one are lacking tall mountains in the city limits. Major European cities are not on the seacoast. Actually, Dallas has dozens of beaches on the lakes, all of them very wet.

Quote:
This state is good for families, especially for transplants who can't afford houses in the nicer states.
Are you floating in outer space somewhere? EVERY one of the 50 states in the USA is good for families.

Quote:
All in all, I am very disappointed that this city does not have a lot to offer for singles. I can't wait to move.
DFW has a huge population of singles who are very happy here. Whether you move away today or tomorrow will have no effect on the monumental population growth of the DFW area. Your opinions, incoherent as they are expressed, are of no particular consequence.

Why are your opinions inconsequential? Because you do not state any basis for them, you do not explain them. We have no idea how sane or deranged you may be, whether your experience of life is wise or immature, or if your whims and wants are well-balanced or neurotic. In my personal experience, people who talk like you are disturbed and eccentric. Of course, I have also met people who had good and valid reasons for migrating away from the DFW area... but they don't share your obvious anger and hostility.

Last edited by aceplace; 08-02-2007 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 AM

Basically, people like Cosmochick are abberations... people suffering from problems of adjustment of one kind or another. Her continual reference to Dallas as a "state" is a clue to her disconnection to the reality of where she is.

Since DFW has over 6 million people, and has a critical mass of people to support just about every interest and outlook on life, it is clear that rants and criticisms such as we see above are excuses and self-justifications for some deeper problem... alienated and unhappy people are like that... they come up with any and every excuse they can to avoid confronting some real problem with their lives.

Does this mean that Dallas has night life equal to that of New York and Los Angeles? No, not by a long shot. But why move from NYC to Dallas and then complain about the obvious differences? Does Cosmogirl really know what she is doing? Is Cosmogirl ready to take responsibility for her actions?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The DFW area has a dozen art museums, several symphony orchestras, one of the best art/foreign/specialty film scenes in the United States, over 100 theatre companies...
But this isn't obvious to a passive person in contrast to cities like NYC (e.g."Broadway"). You have to make an effort to discover the culture and Dallas in general.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Cosmochick -

Obviously TX isn't for you - that's cool. I hope you can make a successful move to a more urban-dense city - it sounds like that's what you enjoy. I have a question though:

Quote:
If you don't have kids and you own property, you still have to pay for school taxes. No exceptions!
Are you saying that in SoCal or NYC, you only pay school taxes if you have kids? I find that very hard to believe.

Brian

Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 AM

lh_newbie, the poster was rambling on with whatever insults she could think of, without even bothering to try to be credible. She did not state the real problem she had with the city because it would disgrace her, be a discredit to her... that's usually why people lie, or spout a list of phony excuses.

I've run into her kind before... harboring some personal grudge or smarting from some injustice, and wanting to retaliate by lashing out at the reputation of the city.

Last edited by aceplace; 08-02-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
But this isn't obvious to a passive person in contrast to cities like NYC (e.g."Broadway"). You have to make an effort to discover the culture and Dallas in general.
You have to make an effort to discover the culture in San Francisco, Washington DC, Los Angeles, and every other city.

Visitors to Washington don't automatically know how to get to the Kennedy Center, they have to look it up in a map. Visitors to San Francisco won't find the Palace of Fine Arts or the Davies Symphony Hall by riding a cable car or walking up Powell street. When I last went to Los Angeles, it was a grueling chore to find the location of the LA County museum complex on Wilshire Boulevard, and then to get there on the #720 express bus.

Visitors to Dallas may see the Meyerson Symphony Hall when they fly over the city, or it may stand out when they drive down Woodall Rogers, but its schedule for the week doesn't pop into their heads via telepathy.

The daily entertainment section of the Dallas Morning News, and other publications, have plenty of information about Dallas' arts scene. And so do the newspapers and city publications of every other major city. People read them to decide which playhouse to go to, which performer is playing in which nightclub, what new art films are in town, and which theater shows them.

Last edited by aceplace; 08-02-2007 at 08:06 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
lh_newbie, the poster was rambling on with whatever insults she could think of, without even bothering to try to be credible. She did not state the real problem she had with the city because it would disgrace her, be a discredit to her... that's usually why people lie, or spout a list of phony excuses.
I know. I was being nice and discrediting her post at the same time. No need to cut down people that are obviously unhappy. What's the gain?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I know. I was being nice and discrediting her post at the same time. No need to cut down people that are obviously unhappy. What's the gain?
She needs to learn not to take her misery out on other people by insulting their city.

This would be a better world if antisocial behavior had immediate and disquieting consequences.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Eh she hates Dallas. I had a friend that hated it too. But she loved it initially. She thinks real estate is overpriced, people are pushy and mean, and the gamat (she's native from Myrtle Beach which I assume has pricey real estate?). BUT she also had a horrible marriage to a Texas guy and I think THAT is the real issue, her experiences with him that made her upset with the whole state. And that's fine. After years of complaining about it, she moved to a better place for her.

Now where are these states people don't pay school taxes? bahaha.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Eh she hates Dallas. I had a friend that hated it too. But she loved it initially. She thinks real estate is overpriced, people are pushy and mean, and the gamat (she's native from Myrtle Beach which I assume has pricey real estate?). BUT she also had a horrible marriage to a Texas guy and I think THAT is the real issue, her experiences with him that made her upset with the whole state. And that's fine. After years of complaining about it, she moved to a better place for her.

Now where are these states people don't pay school taxes? bahaha.
You've hit it on the head... people can't confront their personal failures, so they blame others, or the city they're in, or the country they live in.

When she claims that Dallas people are pushy and mean, does that include you? What about me, am I pushy and mean? Well, maybe I am sometimes, but only to people who insult my family, my city, my state, my country... When they insult me personally, though, I somehow laugh it off most of the time.

Your friend needs to take responsibility for her own failures, and discover what it was about herself that caused them. Living in Dallas didn't cause her to get intimate with Mr Wrong, and moving away from Dallas won't cure her lack of judgment.

Actually, I'm glad I'm not married to someone like that. If I were, though, I wouldn't blame it on Myrtle Beach.

Last edited by aceplace; 08-02-2007 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas