U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,142,478 times

Advertisements

Hello. Next week I'll be in the DFW area (specifically, Addison) for a week to check out the area. I went down 4 years ago and fell in love and decided that once I graduate from college, I'll move there. Well, graduation is set for May and for spring break, I'll be visiting (I have an uncle there). I threw my resume around to various companies, is there anything I can do during my stay? Any companies still do a paper resume these days or is it mainly online? I found a job fair and plan to attend (of course brining a ton of resumes and dressing to impress).

The trip will of course, be not be all business and no fun--while I am there, any attractions that are "must see"? Big concerts going on? Must-eat places?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 PM

333 posts, read 577,637 times
Addison is full of chains, try to venture into more central dallas!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Right, I am opening to living where ever, but will staying with my uncle in Addison for the week.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:08 PM

What kind of stuff are you into (music, hobbies, etc) and what is your age?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM

I am 24 years old. I am into airplanes (looking to get in with Southwest Airlines or American as they are both based in the area). For music I am into rock and "top 40 hits" I guess you could call it. Also enjoy a good burger and a nice beer. I'll be looking forward to the sunshine as it is currently snowing here!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM

419 posts, read 910,668 times
Hmmm... I wouldn't look in Addison, personally. It's just a suburb on a long, wide road and is only passable by car.

Check out Uptown instead.

Uptown Dallas - Main

Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Ok, cool. There are several places in Addison I go but none of my tops. Sherlocks and Flying Saucer are good places to get cheap drinks. Dukes has A LOT of hot girls but also A LOT of Ed Hardy bros. I'm really bored at work today so I'll break down my favorite areas (I'm 26 so around your age)

Addison/Richardson Area:
Food-12 Burgers and Tacos, Flying Fish, The Londoner, Masala Wok
Drinks- Sherlocks (older crowd but cheap), Flying Saucer (wall of beers on tap), Houlihans (cheap), Black Finn, Dukes (babes!)
Sumas and Veggie Heaven have the best vegetarian food in DFW (some will argue Sprial Diner but their portions are small)
Dallas:

Knox/Henderson is great for people our age. JBlacks plays top 40, Capital Pub, Barcadia (yep they have arcade games and giant jenga and half price food on Monday), Hacienda on Henderson (half price food on Tuesday, get the japaleno mac and chz chimichanga!), Old Monk is a good place to get some beers. There is also Beauty Bar if you are into the hipster thing.

Greenville (it's kinda dying though)

If you like punk, check out Billiards Bar on Wednesday ($1.25 beers and punk rock!), Libertine has half priced food on Tuesday, the Cavern used to play hip hop/dance, etc but I have heard they are restructuring. The Dubliner is a great place to go grab a beer.
Jimmy's Italian Market has the best sandwiches in Dallas although it is not off Greenville. Aligator Cafe has great, affordable cajun food.

Northpark Area/75 area: Great mall, check out Mockingbird station as well. Mockingbird Station also has an independent theatre. Centre and Index are some of the best skate shops I have ever been to and sell extremely limited clothing and they aren't expensive. Centre also carries Kid Robot and other toys like that. Torchy's Tacos is a MUST!

Deep Ellum: It's starting to come back and a cool area to just walk around. Twisted Root Burgers and Cowboy Chow both have amazing food. Elm Street Bar is the first bar anywhere to be dedicated entirely to dubstep (cringe) but if that's your thing, check it out. Lizzard Lounge is also one of the nations biggest dance clubs. Zini's pizza is some of my favorite in Dallas. Bakers Ribs is great BBQ as well. Trees and Prophet Bar host most of the shows down there now. All Good Cafe is great and so is Cafe Brazil. If you like tattoos, Elm St is one of the best shops around.

Downtown: OE Penguin and City Tavern are great places to drink and have good specials. HALL's CHICKEN FREAKING RULES! Fried corn on the cobb and honey fried chicken. I'm also a fan of Dicks Last Resort.

Oak Cliff-Check out Bishop Arts District. The Soda Gallery is awesome (if you like soda) and they carry extremely rare imports. Eno's Pizza Tavern is great, Lockheart BBQ is good.

I'm on a conference call at work so sorry if this is so sloppy. I will also add a little more later.

if you like live music, check out ntxshowlist.com

Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM

12,401 posts, read 23,833,163 times
Sure! For a good burger, check out some of the following burger spots in Dallas:
Maple & Motor
Twisted Root (Deep Ellum)
Village Burger Bar (West Village)

For a casual beer & patio, check out TABC, Black Friar, The Quarter, Primo's, Stoneleigh P, Gingerman- all are in uptown.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks. I also plan on visiting FT Worth and Austin. I've heard lots of nice things about uptown. The gf will be coming with, but I can still look at all those hot girls

Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,212,237 times
There's also a Twisted Root in Richardson at Campbell and 75 if you don't want to go to Ellum but it's a "family friendly" crowd up at that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or