Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:20 AM

83 posts, read 411,575 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the inputs..Definitely will land a job then relocate and then buy a home. In general, how's the real estate in Dallas doing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 AM

300 posts, read 1,256,011 times
We are relo-ing in May, and we found out where the office was then took everyone's advice from here and read up on cities within a 20-25 mile radius (even that can be considered "far" out to some natives- its cute!).

Have your preferences already listed as far as new home v. old home, tax rates, housing budget, small town feel v. bigger town feel, amenities desired (either in a master planned community or in the city itself- such as a lake or large park, etc.), school rating priorities (although i have found most TX schools to be good- but Im judging by CA standards! haha! anything is better than CA schools!), etc.

Then...cross off or circle the cities that are in that radius according to meeting your preferences. Narrow it down to three cities. Get out here and rent for a bit in one of the cities on your short list. Work with a realtor who can show you around and hold your hand a little bit, educate you, send you listings, etc. Then buy in one of the cities.

Its that easy! (kidding...its very overwhelming! haha!)

Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 AM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techieguy View Post
Thanks for the inputs..Definitely will land a job then relocate and then buy a home. In general, how's the real estate in Dallas doing ?
Our market here is probably the best in the US. Our prices were soft last year but we have jumped off to a very busy spring thanks to the people moving here due to our good economy & jobs.

Home prices vary by neighborhood & city. The farther out you go the better the prices.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,645,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Our market here is probably the best in the US. Our prices were soft last year but we have jumped off to a very busy spring thanks to the people moving here due to our good economy & jobs.

Home prices vary by neighborhood & city. The farther out you go the better the prices.
^^ true that! In one of my target zips (investment properties) Just preparing an offer on a house on the market less than a week..... its gone! So decided to reconsider the other house I've been mulling over for a month (was on the market about 50 days) ....gone too!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,468,453 times
Default Market in Dallas

Just commenting on DFW market as a whole...I would say steady, but there are many micromarkets. Some have seen significant increases, some have seen declines. The declines still aren't as bad as in the hard hit places like PHX, LA, Las Vegas, Florida. Just draw a big circle around DFW and on the outskirts of the circle are probably the cities hardest hit. They may see more challenges with gas prices as well if they continue to go up. Of course these are where you will also find the newest homes and generally lowest prices, so it's just the trade off you want to make. It is a struggle many people go through.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM

83 posts, read 411,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbrg23 View Post
North Dallas Suburbs: Allen, Frisco, Plano, The Colony....
Just to get an idea of the commute , how bad is the commute from these North Dallas burbs (Allen, Frisco etc) to Dallas downtown or Irving ?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 AM

695 posts, read 1,444,610 times
It would be a horrible commute. I knew someone who commuted from Allen to downtown and it was like an hour or so.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM

333 posts, read 637,425 times
Quote:
Just to get an idea of the commute , how bad is the commute from these North Dallas burbs (Allen, Frisco etc) to Dallas downtown or Irving ?
If you're going to work downtown, you might as well live in the inner loop of Dallas.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
Quote:
Allen - 1 hour to downtown Dallas and over 1 hour to Irving
Frisco- 50-60 minutes to downtown and about 45 minutes to Irving

Plano- 30-40 minutes to downtown and about 20-40 minutes to Irving. West Plano (along Tollroad) or Far North Dallas (zoned to Plano ISD) would be the shortest drive and northeast Plano/ Allen border would be the longest.

Assuming you want new construction and have a $300k or so budget. If you're open to older homes (1950's but well-built and recently renovated), I would encourage you to look closer in at Richardson which has an excellent school district, much larger lot sizes than Frisco/Allen/etc and is about 20-30 minutes to downtown Dallas or Irving. Anything zoned to Pearce or Richardson High Schools is where you want to be. Here are some listings:
7652 La Cosa Dr Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11586745 - Realtor.com®
5 bed/ 3 bath/ 2 living area 3,000sf home - COMPLETELY remodeled $299.9k
13635 Far Hills Ln Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11575529 - Realtor.com®
4 bed/ 3 bath/ 2 living areas 2,900sf home- REMODELED & OPEN FLOOR PLAN $279k

If you are dead-set on new construction and have a $300-400k budget, you should look at Sunnyvale, a southeast suburb. 20 minutes to downtown Dallas (not great for Irving though), exellent school district, master-planned communities with fishing ponds, trails, pools, clubhouses, gates, etc. Here are some listings there:
425 Bandera Ln Sunnyvale TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11558813 - Realtor.com®
.31 acre lot with home built in 2004 for $349k and a 20 minute commute to downtown Dallas.....try finding that in Collin County!

513 Fenwick Dr Sunnyvale TX - New Home for Sale - MLS #11540838 - Realtor.com®

Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,593,104 times
Quote:
Hello,
I'm planning on moving to Dallas in the near future, I'm sick of the cold weather in the Northeast, i'm a family of 4 (2 kids ) , I'll appreciate your valuable inputs. My questions:
- Which area to focus in on for buying new home from a family perspective ?. Need safe , good schools etc..
- I'm a computer engineer , which areas are the IT jobs in Dallas area ? How's the job situation nowadays ?
- How's commute situation in Dallas area ?

THanks in advance.
Read this forum well. There are at least five or six hundred threads on just the subjects you mentioned. And the same people, giving the same opinions each and every time. Most posters will promote the area they live in. After a couple of hours of reading, you should have your answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas