Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 AM

136 posts, read 843,388 times

Advertisements

My first Spring project is to lay down an edging around my front-yard oak tree. Searched on Youtube & the net but couldn't get good info. Thought I will turn to the forum gurus for help.

Here is what I plan to do: Lay down white stones (the brick shaped ones) in a circle , cover the circle with mulch & then put decorative white pebbles in a design.

Have never done this before & hence asking forum gurus for help.

Questions:
1. Went to HD & Wal-mart in Irving. Saw only 1 foot long white stone bricks. It's pretty difficult to lay foot-long stones in a perfect circle. Is there a place in Dallas where I can get 6-inch long white brick-shaped stones?

2. The foot long white stones cost $3 per brick at Wal-mart . Is there a place in Dallas where I can get cheaper ones without breaking the bank?

3. Do I dig a small trench first before laying down the stones? Any video links which demonstrate the process?

TIA

Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 AM

Also, where can I get white edging like the one in attached photo? Plan to use it for my flower-beds.

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Landscape stones around Tree-edging1.jpg  

Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroldixit View Post
Also, where can I get white edging like the one in attached photo? Plan to use it for my flower-beds.

Carol
I've seen that edging at Lowes, but I can't recall if they had it in white.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Lowe's, Home Depot and basically any home & garden shop. For the white bricks, try a brick yard like Acme.

FYI, while these types of brick borders look good when first installed over time they do not. They move out of place and get all crooked and start to look really bad. I'm talking about both the 6" brick border and the scalloped edging you are looking at doing. It does start to look really cheap after about a year. With the regular bricks if they are not mortared into place they shift and move as well and look bad.

Go to a stone yard and find the white stones that can be used for edging flower beds. They will be a lot lower to the ground and because they are all different shapes like stones are they don't look like they are out of line like the scalloped edging will over time. You have to dig a small trench to put them in as only the top half of them will show from the street level. These look like real stones.

Pavestone also has several stones/bricks that can be used for edging flower beds. These interlock and keep their form over years. FYI, just don't build it up too high as then it takes away from the house and any flowers you put in. This goes for any type of garden edging you use.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 PM

184 posts, read 335,978 times
The Home Depot Garden Center at Skillman and NW Highway in Dallas has a great selection of edging materials. I bought some white brick-shaped stones 6"-8" long from there a few years ago.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the inputs. Will check out these stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas