Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehighlands10 View Post
Lake Highlands is much better, in a much better school district.Lakewood has nice homes ill admit,but the school are filled with undesirables(not including Lakewood Elem(White rock Elem in RISD is much better)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4moving2dallas View Post
i'll have only one weekend to browse and i do not want to waste it on 'ghetto' palace ... you forgot that debate?
Here. One of my neighbor's houses is for sale...and the price is low low low considering it's a hard to move 'modern' style home. Pool, plenty of yard, big lot...I think these moderns are ugly as heck and I wouldn't touch 'em, but it gets you into a great neighborhood for a great price. I think the outside looks stucco-ish.

Moderator cut: only realtor.com can be posted

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-19-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 AM

64 posts, read 130,468 times
its not for every one but great buy for sure. good area, good schools, 5000 sq ft living space , almost 1/2 acre lot in 75093, pool, creek, house is in good shape. just change carpet, paint, do some cosmetic modifications and one can easily put it in competition with area homes.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Lake Highlands is much better, in a much better school district.Lakewood has nice homes ill admit,but the school are filled with undesirables(not including Lakewood Elem(White rock Elem in RISD is much better)
What ,pray tell, is your definition of "undesirables" and which schools would be "filled with them."

Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
What kind of "undesirables" are at Woodrow vs LHHS? Please do tell!!

Because on paper the schools look pretty damn similar:
LHHS-
65% minority (40% black, 22% Hispanic, 3% Asian) and 35% white
45% low income

Woodrow HS- 82% minority (72% Hispanic, 10% black) and 18% white
55% low income

Both schools have some wealthy neighborhoods feeding into them and both have some low income neighborhoods feeding into them.

Both have storied musical programs and athletics. Both are "Wildcats"...with Woodrow being significantly older than LHHS, it's easy to see that LHHS copied the WW "model" successfully....much the same way that Highland Park's single high school "model" was copied by Coppell and later Southlake Carroll.

Woodrow has the IB program, a huge coup with recognized academic rigor.
Lake Highland has more of a traditional college prep program with Honors & AP courses.

Remind me again what these "undesirables" you referenced are??

Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Both schools have some wealthy neighborhoods feeding into them and both have some low income neighborhoods feeding into them.

Both have storied musical programs and athletics. Both are "Wildcats"...with Woodrow being significantly older than LHHS, it's easy to see that LHHS copied the WW "model" successfully....much the same way that Highland Park's single high school "model" was copied by Coppell and later Southlake Carroll.

Woodrow has the IB program, a huge coup with recognized academic rigor.
Lake Highland has more of a traditional college prep program with Honors & AP courses.

Remind me again what these "undesirables" you referenced are??
I would expect the percentage of lower income students at WW to decline over the next few years as well. The huge "Choose Woodrow" movement is continuing to gain strength. The year my son started at Lipscomb - he is in second grade now -was in a class full of Kindergarteners where the parents had made a choice to use public school all the way through High School. The years since him have followed, and the IB program can only increase this. Not that low income is inherently a problem, a diverse school can be a strength.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

264 posts, read 624,852 times
Quote:
I'm sorry...but I wouldn't say that the RISD schools that serve Lake Highlands are any better than the schools that serve Lakewood.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
that poster has only three posts--consider the source of info that seems to be really scued one way or the other....would not put much faith in it to be accurate appraisal

Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Well I know two of the posts were attacking Lakewood schools!

MR./MRS. COPYCAT10: Could you answer a question for me? Is it true that a couple of years ago the LHHS principal called the original Wildcat school and asked how to get the IB program? In any case, he left LHHS after that...

Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood have the same demographics. Lake Highlands is a nice area. The single-family homes are great. If they could get rid of the exceptionally ratty apartments, that area would be really wonderful. But there is no reason to put Lakewood down in the meantime. That's a very un-neighborly thing to do, neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas