Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,377,812 times

Advertisements

After being banned from North Park for sagging my pants I decided to chime in.

700k is a ton of money.

It'll buy a very nice home of those specs in Preston Hollow. The local grade schools or Dealey is a very good choice. However, come resale you're selling a home in Dallas and some my feel that private school is a must. So the haircut on that is better spent (23k/kid/year) on a home in HP/UP if you can make the stretch.

I saw a few homes in the high 6's and 7's in UP and HP but they were smaller than 4k sq ft. They also needed a bit of updating. There are some very nice large (almost 4000 sq ft) duplexes which gets you into the neighborhood.

And if you can deal with the size, you can always UPDATE the home slowly. You'll put money in, but you can always sell it back in a jiffy. I've seen some literal *****boxes go over a weekend (one creepy place that cat had to be kept in a Hannibal Lecter mask).

You will have a shorter commute and it's likely a safer investment from the town being completely built-up.

I personally worried about the stability of the other exclusive suburbs (Southlake, Colleysville) and when you're spending at your price point you tend to get real conservative, so UP/HP seemed like the safe bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM

85 posts, read 157,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I dunno, em...that's a bit close to Midway, isn't it? I wouldn't want to live right off a main road. That's probably why the price is so good.

Yes, It is third house from the Midway but surprisingly they don't get noise there other than corner ones that back directly on midway but usually these corner homes have some sound proofing. Being on Midway puts this area near all the amenities of the West Plano and within minutes from the highways, Texas Presbyterian, Arbor Hill and Shops at Willow Bend. These custom houses were selling for much more before market got slow. Local investors predict a quick bounce back for this area at first sign of market recovery.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 15,240 times
[quote=hamiltonpl;18476135]I would open up the search to Richardson. Staying in Dallas County is going to seriously help your commute and quality of life.

Also, the city of Dallas itself is very suburban. There are a couple neighborhoods that would have what you're looking for -- the M-Streets and Lakewood. Those zip codes are 75214, 75206. Both are zoned to the Woodrow Wilson High School, which just recently got a International Baccalaureate program. It's in the DISD, but it is a solid school. The elementary schools are good there too (which helps for resale).

Below are some pictures of the Lakewood neighborhood, as well as other parts of East Dallas and Downtown Dallas.

Don't listen to this guy,Lake Highlands is much better than Lakewood.And their top school LWE is like the worst in the 75238 are.LH has better public schools RISD(all but 3 exemplary elementaries and all recognized HS)

Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM

155 posts, read 501,120 times
I think Coppell could be a good option for you all. I also think that you could find something nice that meets your requirements in the $500s. This one is in one of my favorite subdivisions and backs to a greenbelt with hike/bike trails that connects to Andy Brown Park.

442 Copperstone Trl Coppell TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11553248 - Realtor.com®

There is also one neighborhood with new construction (one of only a handful) called Arbor Manors that may have some options in the $600s.

The commute to downtown also depends on what part of Coppell you live in and where downtown you are going. I'm able to get from my house in Coppell to the 35/mockingbird area in about 25 minutes at 8:15 or 8:30 am, so I think a conservative estimate is about another 10-15 minutes to downtown depending on your office locations.

I know a lot of people are pushing dallas proper, but I think the only way to make this work is to do private schools. My parents live in Preston Hollow and while the area is great, $700k won't go that far and then you have the school costs. If you had a higher budget I'd go for the Park Cities, but under $700k I think Coppell would be a good choice.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 PM

19,536 posts, read 17,795,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
After being banned from North Park for sagging my pants I decided to chime in.

700k is a ton of money.

It'll buy a very nice home of those specs in Preston Hollow. The local grade schools or Dealey is a very good choice. However, come resale you're selling a home in Dallas and some my feel that private school is a must. So the haircut on that is better spent (23k/kid/year) on a home in HP/UP if you can make the stretch.

I saw a few homes in the high 6's and 7's in UP and HP but they were smaller than 4k sq ft. They also needed a bit of updating. There are some very nice large (almost 4000 sq ft) duplexes which gets you into the neighborhood.

And if you can deal with the size, you can always UPDATE the home slowly. You'll put money in, but you can always sell it back in a jiffy. I've seen some literal *****boxes go over a weekend (one creepy place that cat had to be kept in a Hannibal Lecter mask).

You will have a shorter commute and it's likely a safer investment from the town being completely built-up.

I personally worried about the stability of the other exclusive suburbs (Southlake, Colleysville) and when you're spending at your price point you tend to get real conservative, so UP/HP seemed like the safe bet.
Just a quibble or two.

1. The OP is more likely to win the lottery than to find a newish or well updated 4,000sf, 4 bed, 4 bath, 3 car garage with pool in PH for $700K. We looked for months and I'd guess homes in PH with all of the OP's wants are more like $950k minimum. The two v. three car garage premium around here is huge for one. A house just down the street sold a while back for $775k, while beautiful it is 3,500 ft, 4 bed, 3 bath, 2 car garage and no pool. It went for way over appraisal too.

2. I'd say the private school angle in PH is huge advantage, housing wise, for PH not a negative.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 AM

17 posts, read 39,440 times
after doing some research and reading your posts we are considering a visit to explore dfw on a week end. private schools are not an option so preston hollow and dallas proper is out. coppell does not appeal us in theory but we will check it out. mainly, we will concentrate on highland/university park and plano.thank you for your suggestions and time.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,123,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4moving2dallas View Post
after doing some research and reading your posts we are considering a visit to explore dfw on a week end. private schools are not an option so preston hollow and dallas proper is out. coppell does not appeal us in theory but we will check it out. mainly, we will concentrate on highland/university park and plano.thank you for your suggestions and time.
You won't find a house to suit your wishlist for your budget in the Park Cities. If you won't pop for private school then I'd focus just on Plano if I were you.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,377,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You won't find a house to suit your wishlist for your budget in the Park Cities. If you won't pop for private school then I'd focus just on Plano if I were you.
4060 Lovers Lane just sold in the 6's- smaller but fairly updated.
3306 Drexel in HP sold in the low 8's- great location
7609 Lovers in the 6's- smaller but good house all the same.

If you budge, likely on size and rule out a 3 car garage, you CAN find a place in UP/PH. It might not be the easiest search, but it's doable. Also, you'll likely need to do updating on the inside, but that'd be on your own timetable.

There are also some newer, SFA Duplexes that are very nice. There is a stigma however and resale could be an option.

I'd say look all over, scour the new listings on Realtor.com and look at EVERYTHING.

You should be the one to raise the white flag for finding the house you want, not have someone do it for you.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano Guru View Post
Yes, It is third house from the Midway but surprisingly they don't get noise there other than corner ones that back directly on midway but usually these corner homes have some sound proofing. Being on Midway puts this area near all the amenities of the West Plano and within minutes from the highways, Texas Presbyterian, Arbor Hill and Shops at Willow Bend. These custom houses were selling for much more before market got slow. Local investors predict a quick bounce back for this area at first sign of market recovery.
It's not just the noise. It's the traffic and safety.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,147,564 times
Good luck with HP/UP on your budget- either pick an old homethat needs a lot of work or possibly a newer home on a very busy road (ie, the two Lovers lane homes ganon mentioned).

I predict you'll be in Plano.

Why dont you like Coppell? It's probably the best option in DFW for your budget, desired home size/age, and strength of schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas