Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM

305 posts, read 474,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
When ganongrey buys us lunch at Dallas Country Club I might believe that..
The amount of negativity you spew on this website about any place but Lakewood is astonishing. Lighten up, man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,122,702 times
Quote:
The Dallas Country Club is a PRIVATE entity and has a right to select whomever they wish as members. Just the same as AKA, A Phi A, and all the other historically black fraternities have a right to select whomever they wish as members.

Do I wish they would be more open-minded regarding membership criteria? Yes. But the views of the DCC are not synonomous with the Park Cities as a whole - you will see people of many backgrounds at the churches in the Park Cities, at the public schools, at the public pools & parks, and in the restaurants and shops.

Please go bark up another tree, Lakewooder.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:17 PM

419 posts, read 994,642 times
Quote:
If race is the only thing keeping him out of the DCC, why don't you invite him to lunch there?

By the way, I've been waiting on you at the Capital Grille since noon.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,022,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The Dallas Country Club is a PRIVATE entity and has a right to select whomever they wish as members. Just the same as AKA, A Phi A, and all the other historically black fraternities have a right to select whomever they wish as members.

Do I wish they would be more open-minded regarding membership criteria? Yes. But the views of the DCC are not synonomous with the Park Cities as a whole - you will see people of many backgrounds at the churches in the Park Cities, at the public schools, at the public pools & parks, and in the restaurants and shops.

Please go bark up another tree, Lakewooder.
Spoken like a true Parkie -- I remember when I got turned away from a PRIVATE party on Dartmouth that some other guest tried to bring me into...

You are right that the views are not synonymous with at least some in the Park Cities:

Should Lily-White Dallas Country Club and Brook Hollow Golf Club Get Tax Exemptions? | FrontBurner

Personally I hope ganongrey can change their minds - I think that is being hopeful, not negative.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,254,419 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true Parkie -- I remember when I got turned away from a PRIVATE party on Dartmouth that some other guest tried to bring me into...

You are right that the views are not synonymous with at least some in the Park Cities:

Should Lily-White Dallas Country Club and Brook Hollow Golf Club Get Tax Exemptions? | FrontBurner
Meh. Some Parkies and SMU'ers are elitist. But if you got turned away from a Park Cities party -- and you're a white dude -- doesn't that show that race has nothing to do with it? (Believe me, you probably wouldn't of had any fun anyway). There is no reason to diss TC80 for it. She seems nice enough.

Here is what you missed,
"How much did you lose in the market today, Trevor?"
"Oh well, it looks like I'll only be able to donate one library to SMU for my son's matriculation. Ha Ha."
"Yes. It looks like I will only be able to have a regional airport named after my father instead of the international one."
"Go wash my jet."

Frankly, I didn't befriend many people when I went to Highland Park. In high school, students seemed like they already had their own friends. It was a hard place to meet new people. I learned later on that they were just as scared of me as I was of them. But if people want to live that way, so be it. Living there brings all sorts of different pressures.

I like the Park Cities school district and house values. I don't think anyone could dispute that. But the area is definitely full of sharp elbows. It's how they got there.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 04-04-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a true Parkie -- I remember when I got turned away from a PRIVATE party on Dartmouth that some other guest tried to bring me into....

Did it ever occur to you that your friend (the other guest), may not have rsvp'ed with a +1? Maybe there wasn't enough food, drink, etc for extra guests? Maybe the table was set? Maybe it's EXTREMELY RUDE to bring UNINVITED guests to a party at someone's home?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,022,648 times
OK I was sure this was going to get turned back on me...and what do you know..

This was not a formal party, this was a late night kegger type thing. My friend who 'invited' me went to SMU with me. He was not issued a formal invitation with an RSVP and there was no catering nor sit-down dinner. When we were at the door, he said, this is my friend "Lakewooder" and we were met with an icy stare and a, "this is a PRIVATE party" and "HE can't come in". No, "I'm sorry" or "we don't have enough beer" or anything like that.

My friend was totally embarrassed and so was I as I would have never gone if I had thought it was any other kind of gathering. I think some of the other 'guests' in the back yard were from SMU and they knew me but the "host" did not.

We recently had an SMU reunion and my friend (who now lives in NYC) apologized to me about it again after all these years!

Sorry I just grew up with a more egalitarian mindset. Even if you don't really care for somebody you can put up with them for an hour or two if they aren't causing any trouble. If you don't know them at all, you try to make them feel at home even if they weren't supposed to be there. It's considered rude (maybe EXTREMELY RUDE) to embarrass somebody like that, even if there is a misunderstanding.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Lakewooder,

I find it intersting that you rant and rave against the DCC, yet have posted numerous times on City-Data suggesting people try Candle Room, which is a PRIVATE club in East Dallas that openly discriminates at the door (too fat, too ugly, too flat-chested, wrong race, wrong sexual orientation, too hoochie, not hoochie enough) and is membership only (mostly 20-40-something DB's and high-rollers). How is that any different than the DCC?

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...l#post17591660
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...nightlife.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-downtown.html

Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

This was not a formal party, this was a late night kegger type thing. My friend who 'invited' me went to SMU with me. He was not issued a formal invitation with an RSVP and there was no catering nor sit-down dinner. When we were at the door, he said, this is my friend "Lakewooder" and we were met with an icy stare and a, "this is a PRIVATE party" and "HE can't come in". No, "I'm sorry" or "we don't have enough beer" or anything like that.

My friend was totally embarrassed and so was I as I would have never gone if I had thought it was any other kind of gathering. I think some of the other 'guests' were from SMU and they knew me but the "host" did not.

We recently had an SMU reunion and my friend (who now lives in NYC) apologized to me about it again after all these years!

Sorry I just grew up with a more egalitarian mindset. Even if you don't really care for somebody you can put up with them for an hour or two if they aren't causing any trouble. If you don't know them at all, you try to make them feel at home even if they weren't supposed to be there.
Still, it's someone's home....they have every right to only want people they know there. I don't think it's THAT strange. I don't think you can cast that situation as an exclusively Parkie thing to not want uninvited guests at your home.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,254,419 times
Quote:

My friend was totally embarrassed and so was I as I would have never gone if I had thought it was any other kind of gathering. I think some of the other 'guests' were from SMU and they knew me but the "host" did not.

Sorry I just grew up with a more egalitarian mindset. Even if you don't really care for somebody you can put up with them for an hour or two if they aren't causing any trouble. If you don't know them at all, you try to make them feel at home even if they weren't supposed to be there. It's considered rude (maybe EXTREMELY RUDE) to embarrass somebody like that, even if there is a misunderstanding.
Sounds like a snobby SMU thing. That school is the magnet for all the rich spoiled kids in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas