Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,432 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Sorry I am a bit new to all this and seems to be a lot of information to take in.

I have just been offered a postion in Plano, TX. We are from the North West of England. What is the cost of living to rent a apartment? I have seen $1000? Is it expensive to eat, bills, rates etc?

Would I be able to support two of us on $45k?

Also if I get a H-1B visa, I have read my GF wouldnt be able to work even part time? Would we need to apply for a greencard once we come?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,779 times
Your concerns about a visa and greencard are most likely answered on the Department of State website.

I don't think apartments in Plano are $1,000 minimum. They certainly are $1,000 per month farther south in the center of town, however.

It would be difficult to support the two of you on $45,000 per year. Not impossible -- but difficult.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
^^ What he said.

Fortunately, there are many very close areas that are more reasonably priced.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 PM

28 posts, read 106,455 times
Depending on who you talk to, 45K per annum would be just comfortable for 1 adult. You would have to factor in all the various deductions required before your net take home pay (less deductions for a contractor but less benefits), and since you need wheels as well, hamiltonpl is quite right saying that it is pretty difficult for 2. Just need to keep a tight budget and shop wisely for your necessities

You could find apartments for around $800 or less, depending if you like the ambience/surroundings; internet connections vary but I believe broadband connections starts at about $45/mth. Foodwise - as always it would be cheaper to cook rather than eat out, but after you've acclimatised you can find reasonable price for your taste buds. [Subway foot long s/w is ~$5.50, ($360 for lunch n dinner/mth)].
So If that is my income, I'd probably have about 1 - 1.4K/mth (thereabouts) after rent and utilities, to live off for food, gas, etc (bed, couch, chair, table, and of course beer )

H1-B applies to you alone, green card applications only after 4 or 5 yrs of work. GFs are not family, doubt there's any type of visa in the world that would blanket cover for that non-family members for anything.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
You cannot bring a girlfriend with you. H1B is a non-immigrant visa, and it only allows MARRIED people to bring a SPOUSE. A girlfriend is not permitted. So, either get married, or she will have to stay behind.

$45k for 2 people in Plano is going to be pretty lean living. You will have to totally start a new household, including buying a car.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:16 PM

300 posts, read 757,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You cannot bring a girlfriend with you. H1B is a non-immigrant visa, and it only allows MARRIED people to bring a SPOUSE. A girlfriend is not permitted. So, either get married, or she will have to stay behind.

$45k for 2 people in Plano is going to be pretty lean living. You will have to totally start a new household, including buying a car.
She can get a B-1/B-2 and visit for 6 months out of the year, or if a UK citizen come on a visa waiver for up to 90 days.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,728 times
Shop the Rents, but know your price and stick to it.

We pretty much told the landlord what we would pay.

They said they would take it.

We are still in the "Great Recession" as far as Real Estate.

All things considered, I would avoid buying a car, if you can. There is a really good train out of Plano to visit Dallas. If you can get your new "home" to be close enough to walk or bike to work, you will save a ton of money not buying or even leasing a car.

If you want to go on a road trip to visit Austin, San Antonio, or something, just get a couple day rental when you need to.

Overall food is food. Some cheaper, some more. Not a big deal.

by the way, Welcome to Texas.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:49 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
there is no "village" living here

we have friends--one of them native Texan--the other a GB national who lived much of early life here in Houston--went back to England for college--left school before graduation to go to chef's school in France--then came back to states working in restaurant--met our friend whom he married in Houston--they moved to England twice--one before their son was born, once after--
they much prefer living there except for two things--could not afford to buy a house and she could not get decent job w/o her Master's -- she is teacher and to work as one in UK she really needed her MA or administrator's certificate--
she got the MA and is working on the AdMin certification now that they moved back to Houston--
he left restaurant work when they married and went to work for company using his (almost) physics degree--working on oil rigs charting ocean currents--makes decent money doing taht but gone for weeks at time--
they bought house in Houston and have friends/relatives there an here in DFW but they really prefer living in England--after she gets her AdMin certification I think it is very likely they will move back and hope that they can take some equity from their home sale in Houston and get house in England...

why all that info--basically they would tell you to think twice--cost of living here is going to be tight for one person on 45K--my son earns a little more than that at his job and because he has college loans to pay off he is barely making ends meet--
he has car to get back/forth to work because he is not living close to his job--he rents our old house at bargain basement price--he cannot really afford to rent decent apt and pay utilities on what he makes--with his other expenses--

I would say do your budget carefully--Plano has two faces--one is more upscale than the other--but you don't have to live in Plano--
good suggestion to try to live w/o car but that can be very difficult and frankly I would not want to biking to work or walking to DART stop in spring thunderstorms or the high temps of our summers--which last 5 months at least

I think the company hiring you maybe gave you a heightened impression of what your salary might bring
AND I would definitely ask that you make sure who is paying for your insurance--there is no national health service like there is in GB--
IF you have to pay for your own health insurance it is very expensive and diffiucult if you have any pre-existing conditions to cover--

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 PM

22 posts, read 49,178 times
It really depends on your lifestyle: if you eat out 3 times/ day, go to concerts every week, have to have designer clothes, expensive furniture etc., 45k won't do it. But if you're the more frugal type, cook at home, find no problems with cheaper stores, then 45k sounds decent, even for 2 persons. If your GF stays behind (and she will have to, if the two of you do not marry before you come here), then you have to consider how often you can go visit her as airfare to GB can get expensive. As for the green-card, that matter should be handled by your employer's human resources/ legal department. You and your GF should be definitely married before you even apply for a green card (assuming your relationship is very serious, obviously).

Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
I think you have to live in the US for 5-7 years on an H1-B before you even qualify to apply for a green card. I could be wrong about that though. Don't we have an immigration forum here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas