Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 29,516 times

Advertisements

So I have been living in downtown Dallas since I moved here and I absolutely hate it! I am working in downtown Dallas and though it is convenient to be so close to work, I simply do not like living here.

I have been reading some of the older posts about the Mckinney/downtown commute and some posters made it seem like it would be the worst commute ever!... Kind of scared me.

I think that the commute would be about 45 min - 1 hour, but what do you guys say? My work hours are Mon-Fri 7:30am to about 4pm-4:30 ish.

I really really liked the Mckinney area. Also for what I pay for a one bedroom now, I could afford a two bedroom. The apartments are really nice for the money.

Also, can someone tell me how the toll way/toll tag works? I am not from DFW and not familiar with it.

Thank you guys in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
You would be commuting on US75, not the Tollroad (which runs to the northwest to Frisco/ Little Elm/ Prosper). There are no tolls on 75.

It would be consistently a 50-70 minute commute, up to 90+ minutes with a wreck. 75 is jammed with 18-wheelers and moves slower than the Tollroad.

If you like quaint/historic, have you ventured over to North Oak Cliff- the neighborhoods are Kessler Park, Stevens Park, Bishop Arts District, etc? Less expensive than downtown and also slower paced & more scenic (rolling hills, parks, etc). It's about 5-10 minute drive west of dowtown.

Another area you may like is in East Dallas- Junius Heights. Walking distance to Lakewood Village and affordable. Check Power Properties website to see beautifully restored apartments & duplexes from the 1910-1950's. Very "small town" feeling area, but only 5-10 minutes from Downtown.

Honestly, if you want to be a bit out from town, it would be easier to look south of Dallas to Waxahachie, which is affordable and has a historic downtown area, too. It's about 30 minutes south of Downtown Dallas via I-35, but is a less-traveled highway than 75 to the northern burbs, so it's more like a 30-40 minute drive each way.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
The commute is as bad as people claim it is. TC is right - it's a Hwy 75 commute, not Dallas North Tollway. I guess you could go DNT to 121 tollway but I don't think you would save any time and it would cost a fortune. I work with several McKinney residents who worked downtown and they said it's 90-120 minutes a day each way. They all underestimated the time and emotional toll that commute would have on them when they bought their houses in McKinney. Course, none are natives to Dallas. All later found jobs in Collin County (which is where I met them) and I don't think any amount of $$$ would convince them to take another job in downtown Dallas.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
That's an hour drive EASY in NON rush hour traffic. A good friend lives in Allen, which is South of McKinney and works downtown and she says her commute is on average 1 1/2 hour each way. Wreck and forget it.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:15 PM

509 posts, read 1,261,989 times
I asked someone who lives in Mckinney where he works and he said downtown Dallas and I asked him about his commute and he told me he leaves his house around 5am to avoid the slow traffic.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I asked someone who lives in Mckinney where he works and he said downtown Dallas and I asked him about his commute and he told me he leaves his house around 5am to avoid the slow traffic.
And at that time of day it still takes him how long?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 PM

34 posts, read 171,890 times
A lot of it depends how close you are to 75 or the tollway. If you plan to be in the office at 7 and are very close to the freeway on the south side of McKinney, expect it to take an hour with no accidents. Longer on Fridays.

re: tolltag. Just go stop at a tolltag store. If you put it on a credit card automatically, they will charge you $40. When the balance is at $10 they charge another $30. There is no cost for the tag and it will save you money on each toll. North Texas Tollway Authority: Home

Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM

34 posts, read 171,890 times
Also, what did you like about McKinney? Have you checked over in the M streets area or near Whiterock lake? Perhaps there's another area much closer in that you would enjoy.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:53 PM

509 posts, read 1,261,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And at that time of day it still takes him how long?
I wish I could tell you. I was making chitchat with someone who was visiting with his neighbor. I got in touch w/his neighbor because he was giving away some baby stuff and post it on craigslist. I believe I passed Stonebridge Briar (name?) and took like 10 minutes more and coming from Garland/Sachse, mind you, felt like f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get there going on 75.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse318 View Post
So I have been living in downtown Dallas since I moved here and I absolutely hate it! I am working in downtown Dallas and though it is convenient to be so close to work, I simply do not like living here.

I have been reading some of the older posts about the Mckinney/downtown commute and some posters made it seem like it would be the worst commute ever!... Kind of scared me.

I think that the commute would be about 45 min - 1 hour, but what do you guys say? My work hours are Mon-Fri 7:30am to about 4pm-4:30 ish.

I really really liked the Mckinney area. Also for what I pay for a one bedroom now, I could afford a two bedroom. The apartments are really nice for the money.

Also, can someone tell me how the toll way/toll tag works? I am not from DFW and not familiar with it.

Thank you guys in advance .

On the days that I have to commute to downtown Dallas from McKinney it takes me 66 minutes on avg. to get to Pearl/Woodall Rodgers leaving at 7:15am. I have left as early as 6:45 and make approx on avg. about 50 minutes. I have also left as late as 9:30am and make it in 40-45 minutes. It's a jaunt for sure, and am glad I only have to do it 2-3x/month.

I would think you would have a 65-70 min. commute both ways. Sorry. Toll way is fast, but if there's a wreck...don't even think you'll be anywhere near to on time to work. It's a mess if there's problems. If not, (and this is why it get's messy) the DNT FLIES in the morning. I would say avg. speed is in the 80-85mph range...at 7am.

But I love it in McKinney. I know several people who do it as well. They hate the commute, but love the city much more than any other in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas