Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,260 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I know there has been a lot of good information and I have searched all other threads on the topic of best schools for autistic children. The slight difference in our case is my son has PDD-NOS and is extremely high functioning mentally, verbally and emotionally. His problems are primarily regarding physical development - hard time with running, jumping, balance, writing, drawing. '

He's been in a regular class for kindergarten this year, but has an IEP and goes to a life skills class for a lot of extra one-on-one help, and is seen by a social worker, physical therapist and occupational therapist. He also gets swimming class through the school, during regular school hours. Were we to stay in Maine where we currently reside, we were told he would be out of life skills next year and move on to a regular class with some supplemental resource time, and still get pulled out for the PT and OT.

We are going to be relocating to the North Dallas area for my husband's work, and will be renting for awhile. What I'm trying to find out is, which schools or districts would be the best for us to target. Plano and Lewisville seem to come up a lot. Any other people in a similar situation as us with great things to say about their district or particular school?

Maine is so low in population, we had no trouble at all getting him all of these great services. I'm just concerned that because of his higher functioning, and because Texas has a lot more people, he'll get lost in the shuffle and end up struggling terribly. Trying to be proactive early on. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:13 PM

15 posts, read 75,717 times
I sort of already asked this question and got a great response!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-programs.html

Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 30,583 times
Check out St. Timothy Christian Academy in Plano! Our 9 yr old son is in 3rd grade there and has been since Kindergarten. They have been great for us and him!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: