Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 20,972 times

Advertisements

I want to volunteer at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, or women's shelter in the Dallas or Plano area and am in the process of trying to find the best fit for me...ideally, I want to find a place suitable for a long-term volunteering opportunity. Any suggestions or experiences you can share? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,095,141 times
There is a homeless shelter in Collin County- think it's in McKinney- called the Samaritan Inn that gets regular volunteers from my company.

There is a wonderful "transitional housing" place for kids who are fleeing bad home situations in Collin County (Plano) called My Friend's Place.

If you want to get a good list of agencies, I highly recommend checking the Junior League of Plano and the Junior League of Dallas websites for the agencies they volunteer/ support. Junior League has pretty stingent requirements - agencies must have a clear need for volunteers and specific work for the volunteers to do (no wasted time which is frustrating for volunteers when agencies are unorganized), agencies must serve the Dallas area to promote health, education, economic welfare, family, and the arts, agencies must be well-run (ie, no crooked leaders squandering money or embezzling, etc).

Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM

3,808 posts, read 8,693,488 times
Hope's Door is the only domestic violence agency serving Collin County. They are always looking for volunteers. They are located in Plano near Collin Creek mall.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,599,223 times
Have you tried googling for the volunteer resource and referral service of your county?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM

43 posts, read 112,450 times
Check into Genesis Women's Shelter in Dallas area near Love Field area and Hope's Door in Plano.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,095,141 times
Guys- please remember with domestic shelters NOT to give addresses or locations. You could put the ladies fleeing bad situation in harm's way.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM

3,808 posts, read 8,693,488 times
Actually all of the domestic violence agencies in this area have offices separate from their emergency shelters and those addresses are public. And where donations and volunteers are processed.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,599,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Guys- please remember with domestic shelters NOT to give addresses or locations. You could put the ladies fleeing bad situation in harm's way.
I facilitated a 12-step (out of codependency towards self esteem) program at a women's shelter for a couple of years. Every volunteer is thoroughly coached on maintaining victims' whereabouts private and every volunteer group will train volunteers on their policies to keep everyone safe. So, you will learn all that when you volunteer and until you are fully screened you won't have access to info that can harm women or children at the shelter.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 23,922 times
Looks like no one has yet mentioned The Stewpot in downtown Dallas. You can learn about volunteer opportunities here: http://www.thestewpot.org/volunteer.asp.

There's also a great need at The Bridge in Dallas. More info here: : Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance :: Volunteer Opportunities : (http://www.mdhadallas.org/volunteer_opportunities.aspx - broken link)

The Volunteer Center can help you find the best match for you in terms of location, skills you want to use, etc. More info about them here: Volunteer Center of North Texas

Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 20,972 times
Thank you all so much. This info has been very helpful and I've found the right place for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas