Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 13,836 times

Advertisements

I'm crying out for help with my mom who, 3 weeks ago, has been diagnosed with a really rare cancer. It's rapidly growing and she needs to get in for surgery/treatment ASAP!!! (like 3 weeks ago!)

Here's the catch...she and my step-dad are in tough transitional time in their lives...no $$, no jobs, no health insurance, & they're staying with a friend in the meantime. He's a self-employed builder/gen contractor & has been out of work since Oct 2010. They were living in New Mexico, but since he couldn't find any work there they decided to go to the Dallas area (where my mom, dad, and myself lived for most of my life) for him to seek out work there...bigger city, more opportunites, they were hoping.

They've been in the Dallas area since Nov staying with a friend and 3 weeks ago my mom had an emergency and had to see a Dr due to unusual bleeding (long story) and found out after an emergency biopsy surgery that it's cancer. She's been denied any treatment from Baylor Med Center, MD Anderson, and everywhere she's looked in to because of no insurance. Since it's a really rare form of cancer she has to get in to a highly specialized cancer treament center. This is not a case of just walk into Parkland's emergency room type of thing.

Funding for treatment at the Baylor and MD Anderson...DENIED because she hasn't been a TX resident for 6 months. She does have a TX ID but just got it and is being told that doesn't count for 6 mos. And since they went to Dallas in Nov too check out the job market for my step-dad, they weren't sure how long they'd be there, and since they're staying with a friend they don't have any bills to prove residency.

Medicaid...DENIED because she's not a TX resident for 6 months and also because she isn't collecting SS, she isn't disabled, and she doesn't have a child 18 or younger living with her. REALLY PEOPLE?!!! She's freakin sick and needs help!!! She's 61, 1 year away from collecting SS.

She can't get Medicaid in New Mexico either...same reasons!

They literally sold her car so that they could have $$ to live off of right now while her husband is desperately looking for work.

EVERYONE (hospitals, cancer centers, Drs.) is saying they can't help her because she either doesn't have insurance or because she's not a TX resident. For them to leave Dallas, where they have a place to stay, and go back to NM, with no housing option, would only put even more stress on her at this point...& regardless, Medicaid turned her down there too. We've spent the last 3 weeks, every single day, making calls, talking to people for advice, suggestions, etc...and after every single day of disappointing news and answers i thought, why not post something online.

She has literally begged Medicaid, telling them the whole situation, and they say there's nothing they can do to help her. Unbelievable!

She's now applying for some federally funded health insurance plan for pre-existing but has no idea if she'll get approved and even if she does, they have no way to pay for it! It's very expensive!

What does it really means to be an American citizen...if all avenues are turning her down because of 1 reason or another! She needs serious specialized oncology treatment IMMEDIATELY! Her Dr. has referred her to oncologists at Baylor and MD Anderson, but as i mentioned before they denied her based on either residency issues or financial/no insur issues.

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, ANY suggestions on how she can get Medicaid to approve her or how to get accepted for treatment when her TX residency hasn't been 6 mos?

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and for caring!

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
her only choice appears to be Parkland--whether that is top notch care or not
when/if she gets other form of certificantion then maybe she can be transferred

have been w/o medical insurance before and it stinks--
one reason we voted for Obama--and this is perfect example of why a national single payer health care system should be the law of the land

Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I think, also, just show up in Parkland ER as sick or contact one of their social workers.

This is a waaaay long shot but I'll throw it out there. The National Institute of Health conducts clinical trial cancer treatments free if the patient's specific cancer qualifies for one of its studies. Here's a link to see what kinds of trials they are recruiting patients for:

Search for Clinical Trials - National Cancer Institute

Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Remember that Medicaid is a STATE-RUN program even though the money for it comes from the federal government. That is why each state has its residency restrictions.

Go to Parkland ER and see what they will do. You might be surprised.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 PM

159 posts, read 367,328 times
harq, my heart goes out to your mom and you. My mother was 49 when diagonosed with stage 4 uteran cancer. Her insurance ran out real quick after 22 surgeries in the first two years. During this time I tried to get her on Disability with no luck. So I know what you guys are going through.

Most University Medical Hospitals have programs for low or no cost treatment depending on the patient's financial situation. In our case, LA County General was the base for UCLA's Medical Training. My mom was in there for 22 days, had 2 treatments and 1 surgery during that time with a slew of tests. Not a single charge to her, nor did they try to get it from me. Let me tell you, City of Hope (Duarte, CA), great hospital but they took every cent my mom had that wasn't covered by insurance. When my mom was broke, they came looking at me since I had moved her into my home.

I did a quick looksy and Parkland Hospital does have a low/no cost program, so I would take her into the ER (I'm sure she's in pain and stressed). Try to get her admitted. Ask to see a Social Worker and a Hospital Financial Aid Administrator. Your Mom is close to 62, they need to be made aware of this, so that they know that down the line they can get paid. She won't be uninsured forever.

Hope you guys get the help you need.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Try Parkland Hospital or UT Southwestern. UT Southwestern is a teaching hospital that works in conjunction with Parkland. I believe they have an oncology department. Try indigent programs too. If you can't do any of that: make sure your mother has at the least strong palliative care i.e., pain-reducers.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM

81 posts, read 307,304 times
Have you called the American cancer society? They gave me tons of info when my dad was diagnosed!! I will be praying for you!!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Info is not exactly medical assstance--that is what the OP was asking for

Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
AT Parkland and Dallas County they have a Project Access. Free [or low cost ] medical help for folks

Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Another long shot, but contact one of the local news stations & ask them to air this story. Maybe some doctor might see it & agree to operate for next to nothing. I see it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: