U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 PM

16 posts, read 76,765 times

Advertisements

Hello I have a great opportunity to work for Dallas Children medical center as their ER CNS, its a great job, however it would take us Way from our entire family and just be myself, husband, 6&2 yr old kids dogs and horses. We have only known Maryland and to be honest being being in tornado alley scares me to death.. that is the biggest reading why I am hesitant to take the job. I would need to find a safe, family friendly area not too far from the hospital, within $250-300k range with about 5 acres.
1. What areas would u recommend 3-4 bedroom with some land for horses, but want neighbours to be close by.
2. Tornadoes.. how common and deadly r they ?
3. Would boarding my two horses be a better way to go?
4. Schools.. what school districts are explempenary?
5. I would have to drive to many hospitals in the metroplex, how safe is that ?
Thanks so much
Jenny
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 04:24 PM

13,073 posts, read 26,279,319 times
1. Your chances of being killed in a car crash are significantly higher than a tornado. Tornadoes are very rare. One big one in Dallas last spring. The previous one was in the 1950's. Relax.

2. You housing requirements are a tall order. Check south of the metroplex- towns like Waxahachie (30 miles south on I-35, 30-45 minute drive to Childrne's) would be your best bet as there is far less traffic there than the northern suburbs. Also towns to the east like Kaufman or Forney are within a 45 minute drive.

3. Yes, you may want to board horses if you don't want to drive that far. A home in your price range in the city would be a 3-4 bed, 2-3 bath home built in the 1950-1960's. Some in town neighborhoods fit your school requirements and would be 10-15 minute drive.

4. Check the Texas Education website for list of exemplary schools & districts. Remember that some districts aren't exemplary- like Dallas ISD- but dozens of individual schools in the distrct ARE exemplary.

5. Most hospitals are in fairly decent areas of town. Only one I can think of that isn't is the Dallas VA.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:54 PM

11,245 posts, read 24,602,234 times
Don't worry about tornadoes in DFW. If you were moving to Oklahoma City, Wichita Falls, or Lubbock, then you should be worried.

In case you haven't looked at a Google map of Dallas, Children's Hospital is in the middle of town, and the immediate surrounding areas are either industrial, or not good for families.

Finding housing in that price range with space for horses within a 45-minute drive is going to be tough. If it was just your family, I would suggest looking in Grapevine. There are lots of nice homes in that price range that were built in the 1980s, and the schools in Grapevine are excellent. But for horse property, you will have to go MUCH further out. TC's suggestions are very good, and I will add Argyle and Boyd to the nothwest.

Boarding horses in the DFW metro is very difficult. Unless you are willing to drive out to the fringes of the metroplex, you will be paying $500 a month for an in-town stable. Most of these places also have a waiting list, too. Since you're coming from Maryland, I assume you would want to board at a barn with a hunter/jumper focus? Most people down here ride western, but there are some h/j barns in the area.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 PM

6,952 posts, read 21,779,137 times
I had a good laugh when I read about your fears of tornados; but then I remembered that years ago when my parents moved to San Francisco and I was so afraid of earthquakes (which are more common there than tornados are here). But, funny thing, there is a tornado warning outside right now.

You can probably find something in your price range and live with horses , in Roanoke, Double Oak, Midlothian, Red Oak, Desoto. But that's a heck of a long commute. But won't hurt to have a Real estate agent do some looking around for you.

Here's a link to school ratings:

Texas Accountability Rating System

Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM

509 posts, read 1,208,845 times
I can help you with the boarding your horses question because here in Sachse (Northeast Dallas county) I pass by one all the time. I just googled boarding horses in Sachse and found another one that has hunter and jumper horse training, it is called Shady Grove Farm.
I'm with you on being absolutely frightened about tornadoes. I will not lie to you and tell you that I'm not scared even as I see the dark skies around my house and thunder and stuff. But in the almost 10 years that we've lived here, we have been blessed that it has not come to our area. And as I type this I'm hoping I am not jinxing ourselves LOL!
We had an opportunity to move to Maryland and after hearing and reading so many say about how friendly people in Texas are compared to the East, I am soooooo glad we stayed. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 PM

Default thank u

Thanks so much for your advice

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Default tornado warning now.. thats a sign..

Wow, just turned on the weather channel and that's a sign from above. Tornado warning now , 5" hail.. that scares me from md ..

Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM

13,073 posts, read 26,279,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyerin View Post
Wow, just turned on the weather channel and that's a sign from above. Tornado warning now , 5" hail.. that scares me from md ..
Please. Get out the map and look a where these storms actually are. The tornado warnings (meaning a tornado has actually been spotted) are in Comanche (about a 2 hour drive southwest of Dallas) and Hood/Palo Pinto counties, which are west of Fort Worth (Tarrant county). There is NO tornado in Dallas county. Tornados are naturally more occurant in Tarrant County & points west....30-120 miles west of Dallas.

Now hail is another thing that we do tend to get a few times each spring. Usually the big hail is in the northern counties (Collin) where the temps are cooler than in Dallas. Dallas hail is usually pebble sized and every few years bigger. I live in central Dallas and have not gotten any hail this spring, although coworkers who live in Collin County north of here have had 2 hail storms so far. If it does hail, again, not a big deal- keep your car in the garage and stay inside. Usually there is 30 minutes to several hours warning that a hail storm is coming so it's not like you'll be stuck outside, you know?

Again, relax.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 AM

937 posts, read 2,768,590 times
I live in Dallas and just had about 5 mins of hail last night. It was about pea sized and didn't do any damage. But this is the first time in many years that I have actually experienced hail in my many years of living in Dallas.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 AM

509 posts, read 1,208,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyerin View Post
I agree w/Turtlecreek. You'll see Tornado Warning or Tornado Watch BUT (and a BIG, HUGE BUT) you gotta put it in perspective as you look at a map. Most of the time I'm not too worried because the storms start in the West and travel East (I'm in Northeast Dallas county) and by the time they come to my area they have kinda calmed down a bit. By that I mean, we don't really get the hail much less the tornado warning. Last night for example, my kids jump into our bed around 4am because the thunder was right above us and it is always LOUD, but other than that, nothing else. I don't know what kind of thunderstorms you guys have in MD but in Texas the thunderstorms are pretty loud and fast moving (a lot of the times). I guess you can say the thunderstorms are Texas-size I know very well how it can sound extremely scary when you are not here, but pay attention and read what everyone is saying and you'll see that tornadoes are extremely rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas