Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,420,419 times

Advertisements

As a former employee of NTTA...

TxTag is issued by Texas Tollways. Texas Tollways manages primarily the tollways in the Austin area, but originally had management of 121 (and back then some Dallasites bought their pass).
The Tolltag is issued by NTTA who manages the tollways 'round here. Since they are a local authority they also have a private agreement enabling the Tag to be used to pay for parking at DFW and DAL (though you can opt out of that if you wish to)
HCTRA who manages the Houston area tollways also issued their own version of this kind of tag, but you don't see many in Dallas as they never had the management of any toll roads in this neck of the woods.
The agencies all have agreements with each other to allow their tags to work on each other's roads (Finally. It took some doing as HCTRA held out on that for years), so in the final analysis - other than at DFW and DAL - it doesn't matter a lot, except that if you have a problem with your Tolltag you can go discuss it with someone face to face in Dallas or Plano.

There ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM

1,976 posts, read 3,470,983 times
I live in Houston now and I still use my NTTA tag, it's nice not having to switch to a different system.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 12,883 times
So can NTTA be used anywhere in Texas? (Houston and Austin)

Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 PM

675 posts, read 920,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitMart21 View Post
So can NTTA be used anywhere in Texas? (Houston and Austin)
Yes. Same for HCTRA EZ-TAG and TxTag. I lived in DFW for 4 years and still visit frequently and my EZ-TAG works everywhere up there but the airport. Toll Tags and TxTags will work anywhere in Houston and Austin.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 PM

7 posts, read 20,436 times
I also heard you can use toll tag in Oklahoma turnpikes

Old 09-09-2014, 11:21 PM

390 posts, read 711,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach4theStars View Post
I also heard you can use toll tag in Oklahoma turnpikes
Just the newer 'sticker' version. The older hard case transponder boxes do not work on the OK turnpikes.
https://www.ntta.org/custinfo/tollta...-Oklahoma.aspx

Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 PM

42 posts, read 65,457 times
TxTag has a lower initial limit and ongoing replenishment of $20 - TollTag (NTTS) is $40. TxTag doesn't ask for a driver's license, only your plates. TollTag requires both. And, as mentioned, TxTag isn't valid at DFW or other airports that I can see.

I am new to the area and have never seen a cashless toll system. I got my plates but had to delay getting my Texas license a few weeks. When I went through the toll booths I didn't understand they were reading tags until just the other day. Honestly, I thought perhaps they were new, and still under construction. I ordered a TxTag immediately but what happens and how do they detect people who aren't enrolled?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 AM

446 posts, read 837,978 times
They'll mail you a bill for the tolls based on your plate registration. If you get your txtag account activated in time, they'll actually just deduct your tolls direct from your account if they plates match what you register in the txtag acct.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 PM

59 posts, read 126,078 times
They *MAY* bill you for the tolls by sending you a bill via the US Mail. That's what they are supposed to do, but they don't always do it. But that doesn't mean they didn't notice you on their toll road. If they don't send you a bill within a month, they'll likely send it a few months later with one or two hundred dollars in "administrative" fees tacked onto your $5 worth of tolls. NTTA is such a fine organization to work with.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:39 PM

42 posts, read 65,457 times
Thanks - I'll wait a little longer to get a bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas