Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

This is going to be somewhat lengthy. Sorry for that but I'm trying to paint a picture, not well I'm sure.

An 18yo male nephew called a few minutes ago, he lives a state away. He asked, "what sort-of career should I get into because I'm not going to college, at least not yet".

Notes:
1. This young man's father died several years ago.
2. He's a good kid but a below average student. His HS GPA will be 2.45/4.00. My wife and I have long thought he has significant traditional learning issues.

Bad stuff:
1. He's very weak verbally around people he does not know well. But about average around those known to him.
2. His writing is abysmal.
3. He has a very hard time looking adults in the eye. He usually looks at my feet when we speak for example. Even after I tell him to look me in the eye he can only do so for a few seconds.
4. He's way too passive and soft socially.

Good stuff:
1. He wants to do well.
2. He is a very hard worker.
3. He is excellent with his hands vis a vis tools and intricate work.
4. He has a nice innate sense about how things work. A couple of years ago he helped me replace the serpentine "fan" belt on my Mercedes. It took him about 30 seconds to accurately figure out the belt's required path. It'd take most folks here an hour - trust me.

Things he likes or is fascinated with:
1. Astronomy - he can forget this as profession. He struggles with simple arithmetic. Calculus based physics is wholly out of the question for him.
2. Cars - he's a male duh.
3. Fitness - neck down he looks like a Greek-God. He lifts weights and runs.
4. Aviation - no degree can't really fly in any serious way professionally. His dad was a jet engine mechanic.
5. Firefighting - his dad was a volunteer firefighter.

Three of his uncles by marriage, including me, have tried to act as mentors to this kid after is dad's death. I speak to him by phone at least a couple of times per month and we email a bunch. So I feel invested and I want him to succeed. As he has never lived with me it's not like I was able to sit with him over homework and decipher precisely what his issues with school are/were and enforce a corrective action plan. School performance like his would be 100% unacceptable around here and solutions would have been required.

Back on track.

Action plan:
I told him to, before noon, contact his local Army, Navy Air Force and Marine recruiters and schedule interviews asking specifically about firefighting, MP, HVAC, plumbing etc. He is not to visit or sign anything under any circumstances until later. The military will be there.
He is to before this afternoon call the local Votech school and speak to someone about welding, electrical, electronic, HVAC, plumbing programs etc.
He is to call a school close to him that apparently issues some sort of forklift drivers license. He town sports a few very large refrigerated warehouses.
By Friday he is to prepare a resume for my review - much worse for my wife's review as well. This will be a struggle for him big time.

What I will do:
I promised to visit military recruiters with him if his mom finks out which is likely.
I will make myself available for phone time etc.
I haven't told him this yet but if it comes to it I will pay for a votech type program that makes sense. His mom cannot help much financially.

Looking forward, I think these careers will remain strong and make some sense for him:
1. HVAC
2. Plumbing
3. Electrical work, residential, utility lineman etc.
4. Certain printing press operation jobs
5. Military - he is such a task focused kid certain military vocations might make perfect sense for him.

Thoughtful input appreciated. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Just a thought, are you sure he's not mildly autistic? He seems to have a few of the signs...

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
The military is a good idea. I was going thru similar problems when I was younger and enlisted in the Navy. It was a great experience and I learned a trade(machinist). Did a lot of growing up, got to meet a bunch of folks from around the U.S., and sailed to many different lands, all the while learning a skill. There's also JobCorps if the military doesn't sound good to him. Hope everything works out for him.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Just a thought, are you sure he's not mildly autistic? He seems to have a few of the signs...
Actually, I THINK he may well be. I am almost sure he has some dyslexia issue too.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
The military is a good idea. I was going thru similar problems when I was younger and enlisted in the Navy. It was a great experience and I learned a trade(machinist). Did a lot of growing up, got to meet a bunch of folks from around the U.S., and sailed to many different lands, all the while learning a skill. There's also JobCorps if the military doesn't sound good to him. Hope everything works out for him.
Thanks for the input. I know several folks who flourished in the military learning various skills. Congratulations to you for making the most of it-.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
I'm retired Navy, and your Nephew sounds like a great candidate for the military. He can get a skill and blossom as a person. He'll make lifelong friendships ; IMHO, it could be a good thing for him. I had so many young people like your nephew that were under my leadership and it was so rewarding to see how they matured and became quite self confident.
My cousin whom we all thought was mildly Autistic did marvelously in the military, surprised all of us. He got out used his GI bill went to USC and is now a successful Photographer/Cameraman in Hollywood.
Good luck to him and you in whatever his decision my be.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
First off, I wish your nephew well. I hope he is able to find his "fit" in the world.

That said, as a licensed plumber myself, I have to say now is not a good time to get into the trades. A lot of folks (myself included) believed that being a plumber, electrician, or HVAC tech is to be employed in a recession proof industry. Sadly, during this economic down turn, this has proven to not be the case.

While the demand for skilled services remains, there is a significant number of people who were employed in the trades engaged in new construction who are now out of work thus flooding the market with more qualified people than can be kept employed. This phenomenon has also depressed wages to a large degree. Not to turn this into a political discussion, but the presence of large numbers of illegals in the trades in places where licensing requirements are not tightly enforced has also significantly depressed wages.

This might vary somewhat from region to region, but it will be tough for him if he chooses this path. As a potential upside, if he were to start a vocational program, by the time he finishes school, the situation might have improved.

My advice would be for him to explore the military. I've known a lot of guys who were like him without much focus or direction and the military can teach them that. He can also learn a trade there too. In my experience, the military has trained some excellent plumbers, particularly the Navy.

Hope this helps, and good luck to your nephew!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Construction as a trade. Wood working as a hobby. HVAC for dependable income.

At least, that's what I'd have done with useful guidance.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I'm retired Navy, and your Nephew sounds like a great candidate for the military. He can get a skill and blossom as a person. He'll make lifelong friendships ; IMHO, it could be a good thing for him. I had so many young people like your nephew that were under my leadership and it was so rewarding to see how they matured and became quite self confident.
My cousin whom we all thought was mildly Autistic did marvelously in the military, surprised all of us. He got out used his GI bill went to USC and is now a successful Photographer/Cameraman in Hollywood.
Good luck to him and you in whatever his decision my be.
Thank you for your service.

With your permission I'll pass on your sentiments to the boy.

Relatedly, the son of a good friend was a bit of a slouchy, lazy, slightly fat, very out of shape, kid who was rudderless. On a whim he visited a Marine recruiter in OKC. Low and behold about a year went by and his mom brought the same kid over to see us. Let's just say that the Marines fixed all of this kid's problems but good. He's made a career of it, every now and again he send a card or post-card from some interesting place.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
First off, I wish your nephew well. I hope he is able to find his "fit" in the world.

That said, as a licensed plumber myself, I have to say now is not a good time to get into the trades. A lot of folks (myself included) believed that being a plumber, electrician, or HVAC tech is to be employed in a recession proof industry. Sadly, during this economic down turn, this has proven to not be the case.

While the demand for skilled services remains, there is a significant number of people who were employed in the trades engaged in new construction who are now out of work thus flooding the market with more qualified people than can be kept employed. This phenomenon has also depressed wages to a large degree. Not to turn this into a political discussion, but the presence of large numbers of illegals in the trades in places where licensing requirements are not tightly enforced has also significantly depressed wages.

This might vary somewhat from region to region, but it will be tough for him if he chooses this path. As a potential upside, if he were to start a vocational program, by the time he finishes school, the situation might have improved.

My advice would be for him to explore the military. I've known a lot of guys who were like him without much focus or direction and the military can teach them that. He can also learn a trade there too. In my experience, the military has trained some excellent plumbers, particularly the Navy.

Hope this helps, and good luck to your nephew!
Thank you very much. We should have a discussion about illegals at another time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas