Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
If you use all the perks of a large new complex like the pools, workout areas, secured parking
We had a vehicle stolen out of our supposed secure Uptown garage along with 4 sets of tires. The residents here let strangers in the gates all the time. It's also to uncommon to come hom and find some strang car parked on the street waiting to follow someone through the gates.

Uptown is nice but it isn't perfect. As for the rent, it seems to jump $200 -/+ every year. The avarage renter is probably making $35,000-40,000 a year. So if they budget right, skip the Hipster Audi a buy a Ford instead. It's doable. But how long can someone maintain that rate increase? You're looking at about $600-800 increase in just 3 years and $800-1200 in 5 yrs...which is the average time span for someone living in Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM

294 posts, read 233,112 times
Regarding crime in the Oak Lawn/Uptown area.....the stats are down considerably over the past several years especially considering the large influx of residents. Most are vehicle related and are what I would call crimes of opportunity as in you leave something showing eventually you might have someone wanting it. The area has one of the best in the city crime watch meetings that meets the third Wed of every month at the Oak Lawn Library on Cedar Springs at noon. Police, Code Enforcement and area residents attend for a hour and one can obtain lots of info on the area or talk one on one to someone who will respond to your question or problem.

Regarding rent increases again find an independent owner operator who gives a s _ _ _ about you and their property and one will be miles ahead. Myself and others I know in the area seldom give an increase to a good tenant or in my case if I ever do it is well under what I would re-rent the property for. At large complexes you are a number and if that's what your looking for then that's what you can expect.......200 to 300 a year increases.....move or pay its your choice. Yes during boom times like we are having now its not easy but it can be done.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
Regarding crime in the Oak Lawn/Uptown area.....the stats are down considerably over the past several years especially considering the large influx of residents. Most are vehicle related and are what I would call crimes of opportunity as in you leave something showing eventually you might have someone wanting it. The area has one of the best in the city crime watch meetings that meets the third Wed of every month at the Oak Lawn Library on Cedar Springs at noon. Police, Code Enforcement and area residents attend for a hour and one can obtain lots of info on the area or talk one on one to someone who will respond to your question or problem.

Regarding rent increases again find an independent owner operator who gives a s _ _ _ about you and their property and one will be miles ahead. Myself and others I know in the area seldom give an increase to a good tenant or in my case if I ever do it is well under what I would re-rent the property for. At large complexes you are a number and if that's what your looking for then that's what you can expect.......200 to 300 a year increases.....move or pay its your choice. Yes during boom times like we are having now its not easy but it can be done.
So if you are new to the area, how does one find these types of independent owner operated apartments? Do you go through an apartment finder? Craigslist?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:26 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,637 times
Drive around and look. Look for small buildings with shoddy looking 'for rent' signs and a phone number to call. Be prepared to act fast.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM

294 posts, read 233,112 times
Cutenss ......if you read the entire posts here you will answer most of your questions as to area etc. It is true that most independent owners use only signs. Some will use craigslist or padmapper or hotpads but I have never heard of any using apartment locators. Some owners who "don't have the time" to do it themselves depend on real estate companies and that is fine as long as the owner sets the guidelines such as a credit check, pets, # of people etc or other wise an agent is going to go with the first one who says yes (as in I want my commission) Apartment locators will only take people to the large complexes where there is inventory and big commission....only makes sense ....they don't work for free. Find an area you like and keep an eye on it by driving driving driving..........you will eventually score a nice quiet place at a great price and you too can laugh at all the people trapped in complexes........saying Hey Wait A Minute. This Ain't Fair!!!!!! and yes now that I think about it my "for rent" sign is a little shoddy but hey it works.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:53 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Not in Uptown, Oak Lawn, or Turtle Creek. Not all of us want to live in a tract home in the suburbs.
So you would rather live in apartments that all look the same and then have to deal with people above and below you making noise, walking past your door all the time and a ton of people using your pool? Right, that's so much better than having your own home

Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
So you would rather live in apartments that all look the same and then have to deal with people above and below you making noise, walking past your door all the time and a ton of people using your pool? Right, that's so much better than having your own home
Not everyone is cut out for home ownership. I certainly don't want the hassle, pain and expense. YMMV.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Quote:
I think you missed my point.

The post I responded to said it was crazy to live in an apartment at a certain price, when you can buy a house. The single family houses in my neighborhood would be way out of my monthly budget, and in order to buy a house I'd have to drive way out to afford one. I hate the "drive til you qualify" suburbs here, and dont like the generic looking tract homes all over north Dallas. Obviously if I could afford a house in Oak Lawn I'd buy something, but right now that would be a condo with high fees and that wouldn't really put me ahead financially.

My apartment isn't noisy, I love all my neighbors, and the pool has never been a problem. I like apartment living, and in my situation it is better than owning, that's why I do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Not everyone is cut out for home ownership. I certainly don't want the hassle, pain and expense. YMMV.
Thank you!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:01 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
You dont have to own a house to live in one. I rent. All the benefits of living in a house without the hassle of being a home owner and I dont have to deal with neighbors on top of me and sharing common areas.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Quote:
You dont have to own a house to live in one. I rent. All the benefits of living in a house without the hassle of being a home owner and I dont have to deal with neighbors on top of me and sharing common areas.
Simple answer - get an apartment on the top floor. I have an apartment on top, and the way the building is designed, I only have one wall in common with the next apartment over. I never hear them, so I'm fortunate.

As to "sharing common areas", I'm not sure what you're referring to. I have to check my mail up front at the mail center, but that's the only "common area". Anyhow, I hear the postal "service" will be moving in the future towards instituting more common mail pick-up points even in areas with homes and in subdivisions.

I rented a house for a year, and it seemed like every weekend I was having to go out and deal with the &^$@# yard or bushes or do weeding or edging or whatever. Then I paid for a yard service and that was ridiculously expensive. An apartment is just easier for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: