Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 47,313 times

Advertisements

We're buying a home in Heights of Westridge in McKinney and have noticed that the grass around Mooneyham Elementary is covered with brown patches and really tall weeds. It doesn't seem like the other schools in the area have this problem ... does anyone have any clue why it looks so bad, and if there are any plans to do something about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
OMG, I need to get my mind out of the gutter ... was thinking an elementary school with a pot problem!

I still have some dormant areas that are starting to fill in in my yard, I have St Augustine grass. But the really tall weeds tell me that they aren't maintaining the grass at the school or maybe they had a grub problem, maybe they aren't watering? Budget cuts? Not sure? St Augustine can get a disease called brown patch in the late summer.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
hahaha I was thinking pot, too.

Part of our yard got root rot, too, this year. The good grass will take over the dead eventually though, and then in August it will all be brown again due to heat and lack of rain.

It seems like weeds get a bit wild in the spring. Some govt entities don't mow as often as they should - or water either. Our elementary school finally had the PTA take over the grassy area - the PTA paid to intall a sprinkler system because in the summer there were too many holes due to lack of rain and kids were twisting their ankles. They fields were unplayable. PTA also plants the seasonal flowers in front of the school. The districts do the bare minimum.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Best bet would be to contact either the ISD or the city. Not sure who exactly maintains the grounds since the school is in Frisco ISD but within the Mckinney city limit. I'd start with Frisco ISD first, and see what they say.
Our elem is on the other side of Custer from you (but in MISD) and the grass looks fine, and been trimmed recently. So maybe MISD and FISD are just on different mowing/lawn maintenance schedules?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I would just say that it might not be the school's property--
if the ground between the sidewalks is cut and maintained and this area is outside what looks to be a physical boundary -- like a sidewalk or parking lot--then it might be vacant lot--not school property

Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 9,722 times
Default Mooneyham?

I'd like some feedback on Mooneyham...our realtors keep showing us housing that is in their area, but I have read some disappointing reviews of the principal, etc. on other websites. Does anyone have children who go to this school? Who likes it? Who doesn't? Why?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but you really need a better description for this thread, my self along with just about everyone else on this thread all thought you were referring to the kiddos lighting up at recess. I can only imagine the heart attack a homeowner with kids in the area would have had after seeing this.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 9,722 times
LOL! That didn't even occur to me, but I see what you mean - someone might take it the wrong way.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
the OP can ask the Mods to change the title--
don't think they can after certain time line or someone else has posted response
but yes--that title is not good one for posterity

Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 AM

14 posts, read 47,313 times
Sorry for freaking everybody out with the title about a "weed problem" (LOL) ... I promise it was unintentional. And it looks like they mowed about a week ago so the eyesore is lessened. Echoing Lady Jamie, does anyone have experience with the school itself, as our little baby will probably be going there some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas