Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,178 times

Advertisements

My wife drives our Camaro SS, and we switched to from premium to regular, and so far no issues.
Stinking car gets about 17 miles to the gallon. We always by low mileage cars at the wrong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 04:10 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
I pay $65 a month for my DART pass and usually around $60-$70 for my tires(New Balances usually) rotating them once every year and fill the tank up at Buster's Sav-Mart(better known as my domicile) for approx.$200 give or take a month. As for the bonds I say YES! These kids need good paying jobs in order to support my ever aging body, as one day, sooner than later, i'll be asking for a little government help(SSS, Medicare) to help this poor boy out...while I wait for "the man upstairs" to call my number.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I work from home 4 days/week. So I fill up about once a month, so I honestly cannot even remember what it costs to fill up. We're hoping in the next 2-3 years, Ford will have it's plug-in hybrid Escape on the market. If it's got a 30-mile all electric range before it switches to regular hybrid mode, my wife will drive that to work the days I am working from home, ditching 80% or more of our gasoline consumption.

Brian
Nice! This is great, my wife and I have 2 days a week each from home and it save us significantly in times like this. If we were to move to Dallas she could be 100% remote, so there is another big incentive for us to get there. Right now we budget $360 a month for gas and use just about every bit of it these days. It's absurd.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I always vote yes. I believe the $1 Billion DISD package raised my annual tax bill by less than $50. I'm not so cheap to refuse nicer / newer/ bigger neighborhood schools over the cost of a tank of gas!!
Then using that logic, you should not be opposed to any new taxes to raise teacher's salaries that would only cost you $50 as well.

If not explain.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Then using that logic, you should not be opposed to any new taxes to raise teacher's salaries that would only cost you $50 as well.

If not explain.
There is a big difference between a district's operating budget and a special bond election. I believe that school districts should be able to operate within their means, just like your family does and my family does. If the budget is cut, the distict needs to operate within its means, even if that is drastically less than last year. If the budget grows due to additional tax revenue and that money can support raises, then yes I would be happy to pay it. Bonds are to pay for larger capital expenses outside the operating budget.

That being said, I have a HUGE issue with how teachers are paid and the manner in which they are laid off- all by seniority. Seniority is complete crap and I think a lot of the teachers who do get larger raises each year don't deserve them because they haven't earned them (other than putting in one more year in the classroom) and some of the younger, dynamic, engaged teachers who are more effective arent getting the raises they deserve because they're so low on the totem pole. Not saying all old teachers are bad and all young teachers are good, just making the point that a seniority system doesn't get the best results out of everyone's potential.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Now I'm not completely sure how the bond system works, but even if the money for the stadium was already approved, isn't discretion the better part of valour here? Is it really a good PR move for Allen ISD to be spending $60 million on a football stadium right now when they might have to lay off teachers this fall? I would just postpone this stadium boondoggle till next year, I know the money cannot be used for anything else so just leave it in the account.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Now I'm not completely sure how the bond system works, but even if the money for the stadium was already approved, isn't discretion the better part of valour here? Is it really a good PR move for Allen ISD to be spending $60 million on a football stadium right now when they might have to lay off teachers this fall? I would just postpone this stadium boondoggle till next year, I know the money cannot be used for anything else so just leave it in the account.
I am certainly not an expert on school district financing, but I believe there are certain laws about when & how bond funds can be spent - definitely about how, but I'm pretty sure about when, too. If you have the patience to read the Texas law codes online, you can answer your own question.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Bond funds are for capital expenditures only--
construction/computer equipment/school buses
not personnel costs which are not capital expenditures

I think most of the people commenting on this football stadium and school financing really don't understand how financing happens in TX--
Because of the Robin Hood plan a district can't raise taxes beyond a certain point and it is possible that IF a district has done that--raised taxes to subsidize growth and improve programs like adding a new foreign language or taking on a program like IB--that part of that money can be sucked away from their students/programs and into the maw of Robin Hood money-- when that happens it goes to the Region for expenditure or to schools that the STATE deems under-funded...
so districts that tax themselves thinking they can keep that money to improve their schools and services often times find they are now a "rich" district--
why raise your taxes only to see it siphoned off by the state to other schools you have no control over

Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
There are many wonderful traditions in Texas, but the high school football thing has blown out or proportion. Football is good for the players to learn sportsmanship and athleticism. It also provides a great way for many young men to go to college, and gives kids something to do on a Friday night.

This is not the first time a staggering amount has been spent on a game to played in a place that is only used a few hours a week.

I would much rather see the money spent to make sure students are actually receiving a proper education. The US is falling behind the rest of the world. That doesn't even touch on social issues like drop out rates and teen pregnancy.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
A 60 million dollar high school stadium is helping to put things in order of priority for the kids: Athletics come first, and academics are a distant second. Usually, that kind of mixed up priority isn't evident to kids until they go off to college.

Note to Texans: Preschools don't require the building of a 60 million dollar stadium, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas