Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,958 times

Advertisements

Watch out for Kirby Vacuum cleaners sales reps visiting your neighborhood- especially in the Plano area.

They send a girl knocking on doors offering to steam clean a room in your house for free. The girl looks harmless and says that they are doing it so that you would be kind enough to refer them business.

Note: It is illeagle to solicit in most neighborhoods without a permit and so you should not even be letting them in the house.

One of my neighbors actually let them into their house, and they would not leave until you buy their $3000 vacuum cleaners. They stayed almost two hours, and eventually got very nasty and verbally abusive. The neighbor had two small children at home and these thugs seemed like they were going to cause trouble. Thus the neighbor called the police and these "salespeople" ran out the door and sped away.

The police came and said that they received numerous reports about them, and have been looking for them all evening.

So please be aware of these individuals. They have been known to be very abusive and possibly dangerous.
So if someone rings your doorbell offering this type of service, call the police right away.Do not let them into your house.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 AM

170 posts, read 533,262 times
I sold kirbys when i went to college.

Its a good company with a great product.

I wouldnt blame one bad salesman on kirby.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 AM

108 posts, read 286,948 times
I don't know what I would do if someone like this would not leave my house after I have asked them to??
Is it legal to use force?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 AM

170 posts, read 533,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilde101 View Post
I don't know what I would do if someone like this would not leave my house after I have asked them to??
Is it legal to use force?
Not unless your life was in danger.

You let them in, they didnt break in.

You cant just kill someone you let in your house unless your in real danger, than you would have to prove it.

You would probably end up in prison

Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM

108 posts, read 286,948 times
I would not kill, just wondering how much "force" I could use, but thankfully from the original post, I won't let anyone selling Kirbys into my home.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 PM

308 posts, read 600,464 times
about 7-years ago I had this happen. Of course when the reps from kirby came over, they used the same tactics as mentioned by the OP here.

The guys that came and demonstrated were very polite and was really proud if there product.

At 1st they were trying to sell it to me for over $3K, then it went to $2K and then I pulled one of the 2 reps away from the other (which he was the cooler guy) and asked him no BS and how much are these units worth. He told me and I got it for $1200.00.
To this day, seven plus years later I still use my Kirby and never once has this unit broke down. Most of my house now is tile and wooden floors, but it still cleans those products with the accessories that was provided with my Kirby.

Sorry that your neighbor had that issue and was escalated into trouble. This is where my glock comes out if I was in that type of situation.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,958 times
My neighbor did say that the Kirby cleaner is excellent and perhaps worth the $900 they were asking for it. Its just that their entire demonstration seemed staged. He felt like a victim in his own house especially when the final guy came in to "help pack up" the unites and stated to verbally abuse him.

There actually seems to be a lot of complaints about the marketing company that Kirby uses to sell their cleaners (Consumer complaints about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners In-Home Demonstration )

In any case, its best to be safe and not let anyone that you dont know in your house these days.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I had a Kirby it was a good machine but not worth anywhere near $1200 or $900 imho. Consumer reports happens to agree with me and shows one rated which is priced at $1350.

OP thanks for the heads up, I do not let cold call sales people in my house or on my property and some are very agressive but in the end finally understand a no... when I want a vacuum cleaner is when I will buy one not when some sales team shows up at random in my neighborhood. I am not very helpful to any cold call sales person for the same reason.... prefer not to buy from a stranger no matter the product

Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Kirby has a notorious history with it's marketing strategy. I think they were one of the companies that gave door to door salesmen a bad name. Too bad, since it's a well made product.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
This happened to us in McKinney about a week ago. A fairly large black guy came to the door and rang the bell. I was up in my office, my wife went to answer the door. Started doing his routine, my wife said no, she's happy with her Dyson, etc. At that point, he got pushier and I could hear the entire conversation. So I got up and started walking towards the balcony to where I could see the front door.

Before I got there, Cody (our 90lb Golden Retriever) starts barking loud. By the time I got to the balcony, the guy had backed off and my wife was closing the door. Apparently he had tried to push his way in, Cody saw it, and when the door opened enough so that he could see it was a black man, started growling and barking his head off. Salesman turned tail and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas