Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,557,528 times

Advertisements

Orange County is beautiful- I would compare Frisco or Addison to Orange County. Also please keep in mind the property tax here is HUGE compared to Orange County or any other area in Southern California.

Lewisville is nice- however the commute on the 35E is madness. When we moved here we looked at two homes in the area and although the homes were beautiful the drive getting to them turned us off. I worked in Addison at the time and I was no way going to sit in that traffic on 35E....till this day it's like that. (We have family up there in Denton).....

Every places around here has pros and cons- everyone one here gets in moaning matches about whihc places is the best place (minus a few threaders on here )

The goal is to absourb as much info and then check things out for yourself. I know sometimes hard to do when you want the move to go as seemless as possible.

Good luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM

53 posts, read 180,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Orange County is beautiful- I would compare Frisco or Addison to Orange County. Also please keep in mind the property tax here is HUGE compared to Orange County or any other area in Southern California.

Lewisville is nice- however the commute on the 35E is madness. When we moved here we looked at two homes in the area and although the homes were beautiful the drive getting to them turned us off. I worked in Addison at the time and I was no way going to sit in that traffic on 35E....till this day it's like that. (We have family up there in Denton).....

Every places around here has pros and cons- everyone one here gets in moaning matches about whihc places is the best place (minus a few threaders on here )

The goal is to absourb as much info and then check things out for yourself. I know sometimes hard to do when you want the move to go as seemless as possible.

Good luck to you
I am VERY glad we waited a year before purchasing for that reason. It is really hard to know in a few days where you are REALLY going to want to live.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,842,129 times
I've reconsidered my position on the 10 minute radius criteria - but it still depends on whether that is going to be a absolute maximum or more of an average time limit.

For the last 800 miles I drove in my car, according to the electronic log in my car, I have averaged 35 mph (with a 50/50 highway/local split). This works out to .58 miles/minute or 5.8 miles in 10 minutes on average. I bet there are a lot of places you can live in the DFW metroplex where you can comfortably stay within 6 miles of your home half of all the times you would need to travel somewhere local using your car.

If the 6 mile radius is expected to be more like a 90+% do-not-cross boundary, I think this becomes much less realistic.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM

117 posts, read 217,797 times
Thank you. I have been to Dallas about 15 times....and much of texas so I know how spread out it CAN be...I say the "I don't want to drive 10 min. to grocery store" because I know that. There are plenty of things such as Target, Nordstrom etc. that we drive well over 15 minutes to. No big deal. I just want to make sure we find an area that has all of the necessities within close proximity. I REALLY love Castle hills and my husband's potential office is 750 Bypass 121 highway, which is about a 15 minute drive from CH!!! That we love. Also Considering VERY west Plano which is right there too...but god I love CH...my only question is this foundation issue...a little scary.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM

695 posts, read 1,452,944 times
mad, we had an engineer inspect our foundation, as well as our home inspector. Some settling and movement is normal in this part of north Texas. Our inspectors found some deviation and suggested some things we can do to preserve the "health" of our foundation. It so happens one of the residents is giving a lecture on our foundation issues this evening (I am attending).

I've known many, many people with foundation issues in the Dallas area. The issues are not confined to one town either--my lawyer lives in University Park and has had extensive issues and he has a pier and beam foundation. I've known people in Flower Mound with issues, and down the street from my former home in Carrollton a neighbor had extensive issues, but he was the only one on the block.

Proper care and maintenance of your foundation is something every Dallas home owner should learn more about. Just get educated on the issues, get good inspectors, and you should be fine. By the way, our foundation inspection was about $400. The engineer suggested we put in a French drain and cut down a couple of trees that were inexplicably planted right by the foundation.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 AM

64 posts, read 204,705 times
I agree that Castle Hills is beautiful but I feel it's rather far out from everything else. And I dislike the way both Park and Parker become two lane country roads between there and Plano. Odd. Castle Hills would be great if you never had to leave it, which could be tempting, but I think the immediate surrounding area really detracts. I live in West Plano and everything we need is super close by. Still, I spend my life in the car for all my children's activities. Also, know that North-South drives in Plano and all the way into Dallas are MUCH quicker than East-West drives within Plano. Plano will KILL you driving any considerable distances East-West.

Here's the thing. I have lots of family in Irvine. North Dallas is NOTHING like it aside from a few stores. My parents moved from there thirty years ago and they've always regretted it to the point they gave my brother and me a complex and made us feel torn between loving home and loving the place they constantly missed. We were constantly told we weren't from here. Uncool. Don't do that to your children if you do move here; forget Orange County. Don't tell them their home is second best. I love it here, I do. But it's absolutely different and not only in terms of typography and climate. The political attitudes differ greatly from where you live now. But this is a great place for raising a family, particularly if you are conservative. We have the friendliest neighbors and parks you'll find anyplace. We LOVE Plano. Good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:28 AM

695 posts, read 1,452,944 times
I don't know what you mean--Hebron becomes Park in Plano and nowhere between CH and Plano does it become a country road. The west side of Parker is still to be developed but I would not call it a country road either. From my perspective, everything is really close by, with the added bonus of not having to deal with a lot of shopping mall traffic.

I do think you make an excellent point about the "flavor" of Dallas. I am from Chicago and it took me a while after moving here to realize that Dallas is nothing like Chicago and I should appreciate Dallas for what it is. There are things here you don't get elsewhere (where else can you see llamas and cows on your morning commute) and that in itself is a kind of blessing.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM

621 posts, read 1,339,770 times
Frisco, Allen and McKinney would be right up your alley....and 121 wil get you where you want to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas