U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM

117 posts, read 199,432 times

Advertisements

We live in socal (beautiful area) and my husband may be getting promoted and working in Lewisville. We only want his commute about 20 minutes. There are some clear cut things we want in a neighborhood. Beautiful area, trees, flowers, parks, close to stores. I don't want to drive 10 minutes to the grocery store! We are also in late 30's and want to socialize with neighbors ect. We also have a 1 year old so good schools are top priority. We are used to doing lots of things on the weekend. I don't want to be bored! And we like new homes... Now, I know Southlake would probably be perfect, but the commute would be 30+ min. Our price limit to buy is $600,000. Any help would be appreciated!!! thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:45 PM

10,951 posts, read 23,715,605 times
You are correct on the commute from Southlake to Lewisville. Once the highway construction is completed, it will be a lot shorter, but that won't be done until 2014.

Look in Grapevine. City of Grapevine, Texas > Home Grapevine has what you're looking for, along with some of the lowest property taxes in Tarrant County. Grapevine has over 200 restaurants, excellent shopping, and very highly regarded schools. Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District The commute to Lewisville from Grapevine will be cut in half from Southlake. The area close to the lake has some beautiful homes, and you won't have to go to the top of your price range. Another nice part of Grapevine is the SW part near Parr Park. The only thing Grapevine doesn't have is many new homes. There are a few, but you will ave to have a good Realtor who knows the area, and you will have to move quickly since they are snatched up very fast!

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:51 PM

thank you! another question. I'm reading a lot about airport noise...I would think this is a real issue...what are the areas of Addison and Carrollton like. Are they pretty areas? Older? spread out?...thanks a bunch

Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,149,537 times
Check the Bridlewood area of Flower Mound.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM

12,737 posts, read 25,310,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutmad View Post
thank you! another question. I'm reading a lot about airport noise...I would think this is a real issue...what are the areas of Addison and Carrollton like. Are they pretty areas? Older? spread out?...thanks a bunch
Addison & Carrollton are not known for their schools. Carrollton is an aging inner-ring suburb and Addison is more focused on singles than families.

I would check out Colleyville- big lots for the area, pretty terrain, good schools or Castle Hills in Lewisville if you like the master-planned communities. $600k is a very large budget for Grapevine- you'd be buying near the top of the inventory there which isn't the best idea financially.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM

6,952 posts, read 21,396,303 times
Coppell has the highest rated schools of the communities within proximity to Lewisville and is a very nice community. Homes are somewhat more expensive there. It is extremely well located for Lewisville. Flower Mound is also very close and many homes have larger lots. It has subdivisions with active HOAs and good schools, well located to Lewisville and the schools are part of the Lewisville school system - it would be a good matches to your desires. Also check out Highland Village. It is part of Lewisville but sits on the edge of Lake Lewisville, has good schools, a community feeling and beautiful views of the lake from many homes also nice walking trails through the area. I do know that the far west section of Coppell has some airport noise, but have not heard of issues with Flower Mound or Highland Village.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 PM

10,951 posts, read 23,715,605 times
Keep in mind that Coppell has some of the highest property taxes in Dallas County, and the homes also are higher-priced, so you would be paying a LOT of property taxes!

Quote:
thank you! another question. I'm reading a lot about airport noise...I would think this is a real issue...
It depends. The nice thing abou Grapevine is that the planes usually take off to the south and land from the north, so airport noise is minimal. When the planes are landing, they fly only over highways, commercial areas and airport land, not homes. If you are in Wal-Mart or at Grapevine Mills Mall, you will hear them. I live very close to the airport, and I very rarely have flyover noise at my house.

Quote:
what are the areas of Addison and Carrollton like. Are they pretty areas? Older? spread out?...thanks a bunch
Addison is full of apartments and is served by DISD schools. Plus, the drive from there to Lewisville would be horrible. It is a great place for singles who work in the North Dallas area.

Carrollton has nice homes in the northern part (by Plano) but as others have said, the schools are iffy at best.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 PM

155 posts, read 471,487 times
I would also recommend Coppell. The schools are great and there is a good sense of community. It's also very well located and actually borders Lewisville on the north side town. The city is pretty much built out which makes the new home requirement a challenge. There is one neighborhood called Arbor Manors that is new construction with homes that I believe are in the $600s. If you were flexible on home age I think you would have a lot of good options. There is a really great neighborhood called Northlake Woodlands that has very nice older custom homes (many have been redone and there are even some tear downs) on huge lots with large trees and I think you might be able to find something in your range.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,926,056 times
Frisco is a lot like Orange County.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Thank you. This is helpful. I've heard Frisco is nice, but again, we want to keep his commute to under 20 minutes. That limits us somewhat. Also, We really like new homes...again, we are used to Orange County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas