Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,574,001 times

Advertisements

The entire Dallas area is way overbuilt with retail space and has been for years. The only ones justified are some of the newer centers going up in high growth neighborhoods. The rest will remain underoccupied into the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

Stop the influx already - we have enough of everything IMHO. The only restaurant that I truly miss are the few that are either gone for good or probably will never come back, such as Southern Kitchen (gone many years but never forgotten) and Jucy's, a Tyler based hamburger chain that had some of the best burgers and absolutely the best (free) beans I've ever had. They were open for a couple of years near Town East mall in Mesquite and I would wager that their burgers would beat In N Out hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 03:54 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,522,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
The entire Dallas area is way overbuilt with retail space and has been for years. The only ones justified are some of the newer centers going up in high growth neighborhoods. The rest will remain underoccupied into the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

Stop the influx already - we have enough of everything IMHO. The only restaurant that I truly miss are the few that are either gone for good or probably will never come back, such as Southern Kitchen (gone many years but never forgotten) and Jucy's, a Tyler based hamburger chain that had some of the best burgers and absolutely the best (free) beans I've ever had. They were open for a couple of years near Town East mall in Mesquite and I would wager that their burgers would beat In N Out hands down.
I agree 100%. I tried to sit here and think of a serious answer before I posted mine, but I honestly can't think of much from out of state that I can't live without. I'd be more excited if homegrown Dallas restaurants/retail startups were opening.

Quote:
However, no fog, Santa Anna winds etc.
And Death Valley.

As for the suggestion that Californians bring their mountains with them, that's cool and all but they can leave the earthquake faults at home!
Come on, now, I asked for no such things. Just mountains. And less humidity. I don't feel I'm asking for too much.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM

101 posts, read 225,480 times
Dean & Deluca!
Lavazza coffee shop!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 PM

687 posts, read 1,571,802 times
I agree with those who would like to see a Rubio's here. Their fish tacos are excellent.

I would also love to have some H-E-Bs come into Dallas, although I understand why they are reluctant in this competitive market.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,016,643 times
Yeah my sister loves Rubio's - personally I think it's too tame for Texas.

Dean and DeLuca are supposedly already looking...maybe Zabar's is next!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,806,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'd probably say mountains. Or a drier climate. Please, californians, bring your climate with you.
Yeah, we'll be relocating to Dallas in approximately a month, and I'd love to have Mountains, but there is plenty of everything else to keep my mind off of that particular lack of topography.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,409,990 times
I wouldn't count on a bloomies till valley view is torn down and rehabbed Macy's Inc has kept the land of their old store for a reason I imagine. Macy's owns bloomingdales btw.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:20 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,602,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Bloomingdale's!!!!
Oh how I wish Bloomies would make a return to TX!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,099,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I wouldn't count on a bloomies till valley view is torn down and rehabbed Macy's Inc has kept the land of their old store for a reason I imagine. Macy's owns bloomingdales btw.
Valley View is likely to be torn down in the next few years but I doubt it will be rehabbed to be a high-end or even mid-range shopping center. The Galleria already fits both bills, pretty much. The only store it is missing is a J.C. Penney. I think Penney's and Sears are the only things keeping VV alive.

I predict that if VV is torn down, a "multi-use" development incorporating overpriced apartments/condos/townhomes and foo-foo retail will take its place.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,240,616 times
Bloomindales making a return to Dallas would be great. Love that store.
While we're at it, lets get Prada and Dior back too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas