Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM

173 posts, read 402,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
?

He said he was born and raised in Hawaii. Does he need to provide his birth certificate like Obama to prove he's American as well? j/k of course
In the original post, he did not mention he was from Hawaii and later I saw him say he was Vietnamese, not that he was American, I guess I missed in the subsequent post where he mentioned Hawaii, big deal. I was answering the question about scientist jobs in chemistry, which was what he was asking.

Come back when you have actual knowledge to contribute, rather than attacking other posters for no reason and picking apart posts.

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
In the original post, he did not mention he was from Hawaii and later I saw him say he was Vietnamese, not that he was American, I guess I missed in the subsequent post where he mentioned Hawaii, big deal. I was answering the question about scientist jobs in chemistry, which was what he was asking.

Come back when you have actual knowledge to contribute, rather than attacking other posters for no reason and picking apart posts.

Have a nice day.
lol, Bitter much? Also, you do realize that j/k means just kidding, right?

The part in bold is hilarious. You didn't see him say he was Vietnamese because he's not his girlfriend is... he's Filipino. The bit about him being born and raised in Hawaii was in the very same post you're butchering. There's no need to get nasty with me because you fail miserably at reading comprehension. I was trying to make light of the fact that you obviously didn't bother really reading his post before responding to it. You really showed me, well played sir.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 AM

5 posts, read 4,657 times
Quote:
I have a sibling in the scientific community in Dallas. For chemistry, especially the kind you describe, there is nothing, zilch. A few start ups with a small staff. Pharmaceuticals is more concentrated in NJ, NY, CA, etc.
If I may ask, what is the type of work your brother do if there are limit opportunities for chemistry professionals?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Well if I can answer without people with no knowledge about the topic interrupting and criticizing my posts........

Brother????? My sibling is female.

SHE works pharma, her spouse is analytical and unemployed.

The spouse is unemployed because she is employed and he doesn't want to move out of state. But if you have mobility I would say just pick the best school with the best program that suits your needs.

Good luck

Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Well if I can answer without people with no knowledge about the topic interrupting and criticizing my posts........

Brother????? My sibling is female.

SHE works pharma, her spouse is analytical and unemployed.

The spouse is unemployed because she is employed and he doesn't want to move out of state. But if you have mobility I would say just pick the best school with the best program that suits your needs.

Good luck
Oops, sorry about that assumption. So your sister works in pharmaceuticals or as a pharmacist? I was actually leaning heavily towards analytical chemistry, so the news about your sis' spouse is unnerving. But I actually wanted to open up an independent analytical lab, possibly connected to a hospital or some kind of forensics office.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I know one person who worked in chemistry - an entry level just graduated from college gig - and she worked at UT Southwestern Medical Center. I know another person who wanted to work in chemistry and never found a job. Both have moved away.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbatoon View Post
Oops, sorry about that assumption. So your sister works in pharmaceuticals or as a pharmacist? I was actually leaning heavily towards analytical chemistry, so the news about your sis' spouse is unnerving. But I actually wanted to open up an independent analytical lab, possibly connected to a hospital or some kind of forensics office.
Pharma means pharmaceutical.

Pharmacy/Pharmacist means pharmacist, which is not a scientist or chemist
This discussion is about chemistry, right?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM

124 posts, read 259,289 times
Quote:

...I also appreciate the mentioning that the cost of living is much more desirable than Northern California. It definitely eases the mind to know that if I even decide to become a HS or CC chemistry teacher I'll be able to live comfortably.

As far as standard of living goes, how is the culture compared to many "fast paced" states? I always hear about how friendly and welcoming people are in Texas compared to the average Californian. That is definitely comforting to me as I was born and raise in Hawaii where we also have a very open and welcoming culture. I find that many Californians are much too impatient and less likely to just enjoy their "free time" (which includes doing absolutely nothing except relaxing in good company).
I'm not sure I take your meaning by "fast paced states"? This is Texas 2nd most populous state in the union and this is DFW 4th largest market in the country. The only state that has a shot at being faster paced is Cali and the only cities that have a shot are NYC, LA and Chicago. This isn't Mississippi or some other deep south back water, you have options; want to go fast paced? Live in Uptown or Downtown Dallas. Like rubbing elbows with the LGBT community? Live along Cedar Springs Road in Dallas. Want to live in the Andy Griffith Show? Live in Waxahachie. Want to live in a city that's an eclectic blend of College Students, aging Hippies and paleoconservatives? Move up to Denton where I reside. The point is if you can imagine a lifestyle you can probably do it in DFW. No you aren't going to see pristine beaches (we go to Padre for that) and you won't see Majestic Mountains (we go to Fort Davis or Big Bend for that), but there are plenty of other diversions to be found in DFW.

Quote:
While this may seem a bit off , I also want to ask about the Filipino and Vietnamese community. I'm Filipino and my girlfriend is Vietnamese so I'd like to know the general outlook on those communities by the collective general public. Are they looked down upon, respected, annoying? etc...To me race isnt much of an issue (especially since I'm from Hawaii) but I know interracial dynamics are going to be a bit different than I would expect in the islands.
Well I was raised in Dallas and Carrollton (northern suburb) and growing up I played GI Joe and what not with a Filipino and had at least a dozen SE Asian neighbors. These were typical lower-middle class neighborhoods I lived in and the area has become much more diverse since then. I mean I'm white and I know both how to pronounce Nguyen and that it is the "Smith" of Vietnam. The Dallas Suburb of Garland has a massive Asian community concentrated on the west end of the city. Last I checked they had over 6,000 Vietnamese citizens living in just that one area and that does not count the other Asian groups living in that area. Of course people of all races and elasticities are welcomed in DFW (Black Entrepreneur Magazine regularly ranks Dallas as one of the top 5 cities in America for African Americans and of course we have a huge Tejano population plus we are taught to revere men like Antonio Navarro and Juan Seguin in the same way we honor Davy Crockett and Sam Houston) so long as you don't constantly talk about how Texas sucks compared to Hawaii you should be fine. We Native Texans hold a bias towards people that bag on our home, but anything else is good to go.

In the area of Chemistry I can't say much since I'm an IT guy with a Military background, but I do know that Abbott Labs has a facility at 8901 Forney Road in Dallas. My wife's Aunt works for them.

Abbott

Last edited by fistofsouth; 05-12-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Pharma means pharmaceutical.

Pharmacy/Pharmacist means pharmacist, which is not a scientist or chemist
This discussion is about chemistry, right?
Well, doesn't hurt to make sure*shrugs*. A lot of people don't know the difference between a pharmaceutical chemist and a pharmacist.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:55 PM

160 posts, read 198,215 times
Do people really move to Texas and complain about it nonstop?

I'm willing to take that on faith. Just seems like peculiar behavior to me.

Unless they moved there under some sort of duress.

I myself am apprehensive of the summer heat, but once I get there I plan to soldier stolidly (if stickily) on through it, perhaps expire of heatstroke, or if I live but really can't take it, move back out of the kitchen. Complaining about someplace to the natives is, well, just rude, anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas