Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:23 PM

59 posts, read 110,187 times

Advertisements

Wanted to know if there are any residents who live in North Oakcliff and commute to Plano? I have been looking at houses in the area and love it. I am a Chicago native who relocated to Dallas nearly a year ago. I started looking at condos in Uptown/Oaklawn, but you don't get much for your money in the price range I was looking in (low 200s.) I work right off of Legacy and the Toll. I have a co-worker who currently lives in the area and he says the commute is not bad. Living in Chicago I had on average 1.5 hour each way commute out to the surburbs from the city everyday. I was hoping not to repeat the same experience living in Dallas. Can I make this commute in 40-45 mins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Definitely can do it in 40-45 minutes. Probably 35 minutes if you hit it right.

I work on Legacy and get on the Tollroad at Oak Lawn. It's 25 minutes door to door in the am. Leaving work in the 5pm hour, it can take 35-40 minutes. Leaving at 6, it's 25-30 minutes.

If you lived in Kessler Park/ Stevens Park and took side streets to 35 (ie, not 30 to 35), I don't think it would add more than 10-12 minutes to my drive. If you are looking at neighborhoods further south like Winnetka Heights, it would probably add 15-20 minutes onto my drive.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
You CAN, but WHY? My goodness that is a long way to drive every day...and in addition to the gas you will be burning, there is also the issue of expensive toll roads.

If you are looking for older homes in that price range, why not look in Richardson?

Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You CAN, but WHY? My goodness that is a long way to drive every day...and in addition to the gas you will be burning, there is also the issue of expensive toll roads.

If you are looking for older homes in that price range, why not look in Richardson?
Nothing against Richardson, but I really cannot imagine someone who fell in love with N. Oak Cliff being happy in Richardson - or Vice Versa. I recommend Richardson a lot for someone who wants a suburb that is what a suburb used to be, and I grew up in that area, but a substitute for North Oak Cliff it isn't.

That said the OP needs to budget the tolls when making the decision. It does add up.

If you do end up in Oak Cliff make sure to get a Croissant - regular, almond, or chocolate at Rush Patisserie one weekend. Trust me.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Your commute time should be in the 35-40 minute range. I drive from Mesquite to the tollway/Parker intersection and it takes me 50-55 minutes. Mind you I add 10 minutes to my commute because I take Central to Parker and cut over instead of hitting the tollway.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:

People choose to buy in Frisco/ Plano/ McKinney and work downtown....at least this commute would be against traffic.

Tolls are $90/mo on DNT from 35 entrance to Legacy.

Older homes in Richardson are ranches from the 1950's-1960's. Lovely, not not the character of the 1910's bungalows & 1920's Tudors and Meds in North Oak Cliff. They aren't exactly interchangeable.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 PM

124 posts, read 259,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
People choose to buy in Frisco/ Plano/ McKinney and work downtown....at least this commute would be against traffic.

Tolls are $90/mo on DNT from 35 entrance to Legacy.

Older homes in Richardson are ranches from the 1950's-1960's. Lovely, not not the character of the 1910's bungalows & 1920's Tudors and Meds in North Oak Cliff. They aren't exactly interchangeable.
Well to be fair there are some High Tudors and Bungalows in Richardson and Plano and McKinney...and...well...essentially any town that was extant when WWI vets came back and demanded homes that looked like the cottages they saw in the English and French Countryside. Plano and McKinney also have 19th Century Queen Annes and turn of the Century Bungalows and Victorians. Having said that I do agree with everyone else that Oak Cliff has an eclectic flavor that none fo those burbs can match. I mean Old Downtown Plano is cool especially since the DART Line arrived, but they have nothing along the lines of the Bishop Arts District and I doubt you will see community gardens popping up in Richardson anytime soon.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
Well to be fair there are some High Tudors and Bungalows in Richardson and Plano and McKinney...and...well...essentially any town that was extant when WWI vets came back and demanded homes that looked like the cottages they saw in the English and French Countryside. Plano and McKinney also have 19th Century Queen Annes and turn of the Century Bungalows and Victorians. Having said that I do agree with everyone else that Oak Cliff has an eclectic flavor that none fo those burbs can match. I mean Old Downtown Plano is cool especially since the DART Line arrived, but they have nothing along the lines of the Bishop Arts District and I doubt you will see community gardens popping up in Richardson anytime soon.
Uh we just built one in the Heights Park neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:

I've considered all these things. Honestly, I don't think I would like living in Richardson. In the past I have foresaken urban living to be closer to work in the burbs and end up regretting it. N Oakcliff reminds me of "urban surburban" communities on the outskirts of Chicago such as Evanston and Oak Park.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 PM

What is considered Richardson Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas