Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 PM

21 posts, read 45,605 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...Alot of difference of opinion here on price range but certainly do appreciate both your and TurtleCreek's input. Are the home prices in HPISD rising quickly...or can I wait a 9 months to a year. Anybody know at what % prices are increasing?? (or decreasing if I'm lucky)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennStud View Post
Hmmm...Alot of difference of opinion here on price range but certainly do appreciate both your and TurtleCreek's input. Are the home prices in HPISD rising quickly...or can I wait a 9 months to a year. Anybody know at what % prices are increasing?? (or decreasing if I'm lucky)
They are actually down about 2% from last year. But the number of sales is up significantly, showing that realistically-priced homes are being snapped up.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Debt-to-income ratios for banks are done with pre-tax income, not take-home. So you'd need to pump up your calc from 10,800 to 20,000. By the way, how did you come up with a person making 20,833/month pretax would only have $10,800 take home?

Regardless of the calculation, I would personally not recommend going up to that limit from the banks - you'll be working and spending everything you have just to make ends meet. With $200K down and $250K income, I'd personally spend a max of $500-550K, so while I don't agree with the math of TC80, I agree with the outcome.

Brian
You are probably right.. but I'll be working and barely making ends meet as well if I send 3 kids to private school. We are in our late 30's and hopefully not at our peak incomes ...(plus I had a vasectomy)

Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
...I had a vasectomy...

You might want to rethink your user name, in that case. Just sayin'.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM

93 posts, read 244,843 times
25% of net pay is really conservative. I think It is more like 25 to 30 percent of gross pay (or even a little more) for some lenders.

If you figured 25% of net pay when I refinanced about a year ago,that would have come out to $1250 a month. My mortgage including taxes and insurance is just over $1900 a month (almost 40% of net pay including taxes and insurance). I am married now, but this was before I was married and had the dual income to calculate.

My guess is they would qualify for about a million or so with the 250k down payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Sorry, my bad. I read the OP as $200k income & $200k down. $200k income with 35% taxes/ maxed out 401k/ health insurance deductions nets down to $10,800/mo.

I arrived at a $325k mortgage based on the rule of thumb that PITI is 25% of net pay. Mortgage companies actually look at your front-end (gross) as well as back-end (net) incomes to determine loan qualificiation.

OP could probably go up to low $600k's safely. Which gets a little bit better housing inventory in HPISD, but not much. You need to get up to $800-900k to really start finding "liveable" family homes with decent floor plans and 3-4 bedrooms.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,116 times
You might also consider some other very good school districts, if you want to get more for your money. Plano ISD is very well regarded in these parts.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelf View Post
25% of net pay is really conservative. I think It is more like 25 to 30 percent of gross pay (or even a little more) for some lenders.

If you figured 25% of net pay when I refinanced about a year ago,that would have come out to $1250 a month. My mortgage including taxes and insurance is just over $1900 a month (almost 40% of net pay including taxes and insurance). I am married now, but this was before I was married and had the dual income to calculate.

My guess is they would qualify for about a million or so with the 250k down payment.
This discussion has moved from "What can I afford" -- which was the OP's first question to "What should I spend." I agree he will likely qualify for up to $1M and certainly can spend (depending on what other obligations he has) $700K to $800K as I have said 3x now. I know I am right, having done about 30 deals in the past and sold properties and helped my buyers go thru the loan process. But, again, the discussion has changed.......

Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

You might want to rethink your user name, in that case. Just sayin'.
Yep, 'fraid my username is no longer relevant.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
This discussion has moved from "What can I afford" -- which was the OP's first question to "What should I spend." I agree he will likely qualify for up to $1M and certainly can spend (depending on what other obligations he has) $700K to $800K as I have said 3x now. I know I am right, having done about 30 deals in the past and sold properties and helped my buyers go thru the loan process. But, again, the discussion has changed.......
Hope your right Squril...I'll report back after I get prequalified. Thanks for your help

Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,278 times
Quote:
I've been transferred to Dallas and will soon be looking for a home. We have 3 children and have decided that the Highland Park School District might make more sense than paying for private tuition for 3 children. Just not sure we can afford the home prices. Our income is around 250K per year and we have around 200K as down payment. We haven't bought a house in about 15 years so can't remember all of the qualification requirements. Also does anyone have any creative tricks to finding homes in the HPSID school district before they hit the market or are listed??
TennStud,

I wanted to post because I really feel that you have received some misleading information regarding how much of a mortgage you can afford.

There are many "rules of thumb" out there, plus many other more credible methods. In all of the scenarios that I am going to go over with you, I will assume that you have relatively little to no debt. Additionally, I am assuming $200k down with a 2.5% local property tax and a very high interest rate of 7%.

Scenario 1:
General rule of thumb is that you can afford 3 times your annual gross income.

$250,000 salary x 3 = $750k mortgage

Scenario 2:
General rule of thumb is that you can conservatively afford 28% of your montly gross income.

$250,000 salary / 12 = $20,833.33 * 28% = $5,833.33 monthly mortgage payment

This translates roughly to a $800k to $850k home with $200k down.

Scenario 3:
General rule of thumb is that you can aggressively afford 45% of your montly gross income.

$250,000 salary / 12 = $20,833.33 * 45% = $9,375.00 monthly mortgage payment

This translates roughly to a $1.2M to $1.3M home with $200k down.

In scenarios 2 and 3, it really depends on your means of living. The cost of living in Texas is comparably very cheap vs. many other states. You will need to factor in your style of life (cars, eating, shopping, children, etc). You also need to factor in other costs such as retirement, health/life insurance, etc. With that being said, I am sure you have excellent credit and that any bank would be more than happy to loan you even more than the scenarios listed above; however, the higher you go, the more risk you take. You never want to over extend yourself.

If you are willing to make the drive, Frisco (great schools) or the Las Colinas (not so great schools) area have some very large and beautiful homes. You will definately get a bigger bang for the buck. If city life is a must, then the Univ. Park area is the way to go.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me or respond to this post if you have any questions and welcome to Dallas!

Thanks,
Malik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas