Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 PM

21 posts, read 45,605 times

Advertisements

Nice place! Thanks for the listing. Definitely something to consider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks Brian for your suggestions. I really appreciate your point of view. Now I'm thinking we might just rent for a year till we can sort out what to do. It's too hard making a long distance decision and our kids are still very young so we have some time.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
There are some screaming deals out there in the rental market in the price range you'd be looking at. Plus, it's not real likely the prices will spike up appreciably in the near future - might just as likely go down and work in your favor.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennStud View Post
Thanks Brian for your suggestions. I really appreciate your point of view. Now I'm thinking we might just rent for a year till we can sort out what to do. It's too hard making a long distance decision and our kids are still very young so we have some time.
We rented for about 9 months before we purchased our home. We are in an area I would have never considered if we had moved house-to-house and I absolutely love it here. It was the 100% right decision for us and I am glad we waited.

good luck!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Renting for 6+ months is probably your best option. The metro has sooooo many different micro climates that you really need to get here and go out to explore prior to making a purchase decision. It's much easier to eat the fees associated with breaking a lease agreement if you've decided a different area is right for you. Selling to move to a different home is a very expensive proposition. I would fully support your renting short term to make the right long term decision for you and your family.

I would encourage you to interview the different schools while you're in your rental, so you aren't looking at stats to make a decision. When you get into town, send me a PM, I'm happy to give you some suggestions on restaurants/shopping, all near the HP/UP/uptown/knox-hendersen areas close to one of your target areas.

Brian

Old 05-14-2011, 06:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Renting for a year is an outstanding idea. What looks good on paper may not turn out to be your best option and vice versa. The DFW area is incredibly diverse with a burb/neighborhood for everyone. Take your time and explore your maaaaaaaaany options. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
There are quite a few rental properties in HPISD. You can typically find a 3 bedroom duplex (where you live on the bottom floor or top) in the $2,000-2,500 range. You can find these through a realtor, Craig's List, or by driving around the duplex streets (close to the high school & middle school) and jotting down numbers on "for rent" signs.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:54 AM

85 posts, read 158,381 times
only problem with renting first is schooling ... when you want to move after six months or a year ... by then children are too attached to the friends and school so you end up buying in same area ... interest rates are very low but that can change by the time you are in market ... west plano is a good alternative if park cities are out of budget since schools and neighborhood are really good and commute is not as bad as it can be from some other suburbs ... plan a few day trip to dfw and explore your options

Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 PM

24 posts, read 115,184 times
Driving around where I live in Bluffview, I found at least half a dozen [beautiful] homes for rent. I am unsure if they all zone for HPISD, however.

If you go south from Lovers down Armstrong, Lomo Alto, or Douglas you can find some nice places that do zone for HPISD.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the tip! I will be in town next week and will take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas