Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,577 times

Advertisements

TC -

You're right, 1mil does get you into the Park Cities area and I did not consider the lower tax rate... maybe I should look at a few homes there when I visit.

All -

Job location is not the most important at the moment, I can get a job nearly anywhere so I can almost (with 90% certainty) base my job around my home base.

Edit:
I sent an email to my realtor that we should see a couple of Park Cities homes 2/2 established location/neighborhoods/less prop taxes. Thanks TC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
A little taste of:

LAKEWOOD

In East Dallas, Texas

Mary Ellen's Haunted Swiss Avenue Mansion

The Lady of White Rock Lake

http://a.imageshack.us/img518/2463/4321wlawtherdrive.jpg (broken link)

Woodrow Wilson High School's 52nd annual musical

Historic aerial of White Rock Lake - 100 years old this year

J. L. Long Middle School has applied to offer International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme

J. L. Long show choir peforming at Lipscomb Elementary for Junius Heights Historic District Tour

Lakewood Country Club

"Doc" Harrell, father of Lakewood, opened his drugstore in 1924

Lakewood Shopping Center 1930s

The oldest El Chico was in Lakewood. Other chains which started from the Lakewood area were Wyatt's Cafeterias and Minyard's grocery stores

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2010/01/14/15/SuperBowlHostCommittee102.standalone.prod_affiliat e.58.jpg (broken link)

Davey O'Brien Woodrow class of 1935, Heisman Winner 1938

Tim Brown, Woodrow class of 1984, Heisman Winner 1987

Woodrow is the only high school in Dallas to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma

Aboretum at White Rock Lake

Last edited by Lakewooder; 05-19-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 11:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Lakewooder...maybe you should try making those into thumbnails? Maybe even a link to a slide show? Every time you post that huge series of photos it clobbers my computer, even at work.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Lakewood is an area of Dallas; it is NOT a suburb. Dallas address, Dallas schools.

To the OP. It all depends on what you are looking for in a town. Public transportation important? Close to downtown Dallas? Schools matter? Lots of home for your money? Walkability? Older home? Newer home? Land? Privacy? Views? Golfing/country club community?

Colleyville is one of my favorites if you like more land around your place. I like Southlake a lot. If schools are important, I like Coppell. Plano offers everything but proximity to the airport and has fewer "real" Texans. In the southern section ... Midlothian and Ovilla you can get beautiful estates in rolling hills for your budget. You can also get wonderful lakeview properties on Joe Pool Lake or Lake Ray Hubbard.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Most of Dallas is suburban single-family homes. So don't count Dallas neighborhoods out just because they're a part of the big city municipality.

Check out Lakewood, M-Streets, Lake Highlands and North Dallas. They've got big trees, homes with character, unique shops and restaurants, and better commute times that you'd be missing out on in most of the 'burbs.
I also think the OP would be wasting money spending that much on a home in a far flung suburb. Moving to Lakewood or the Park Cities would be a much better investment. The land is actually worth something in those areas, so your value will appreciate instead of depreciate. Also, quality of life would be much higher (which is why the same home in Lakewood or Dallas is 2-3 time the price of a similar home in Collin County).

People from out of state underestimate the "buy new" phenomenon in the northern Dallas suburbs. If it ain't shiny and new, it's a lot harder to move.

I think this video illustrates how suburban most of Dallas is on this mountain bike video, which was all shot within Dallas City Limits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmUu...layer_embedded

McCommas Bluff, Dallas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-g01...eature=related

Lakewood Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMweqqemgaU

M-Streets Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psfoBl9e1Jg

Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I also think the OP would be wasting money spending that much on a home in a far flung suburb. Moving to Lakewood or the Park Cities would be a much better investment. The land is actually worth something in those areas, so your value will appreciate instead of depreciate. Also, quality of life would be much higher (which is why the same home in Lakewood or Dallas is 2-3 time the price of a similar home in Collin County).

People from out of state underestimate the "buy new" phenomenon in the northern Dallas suburbs. If it ain't shiny and new, it's a lot harder to move.

I think this video illustrates how suburban most of Dallas is on this mountain bike video, which was all shot within Dallas City Limits:

YouTube - ‪Lower White Rock Creek Valley Trail Network Dallas, Texas‬‏

McCommas Bluff, Dallas:

YouTube - ‪Howling Coyotes in Dallas, Texas along Trinity River McCommas Bluff Preserve‬‏

Lakewood Video:

YouTube - ‪Community Video: Lakewood in Dallas, TX‬‏

M-Streets Video:

YouTube - ‪Community Video: M Streets section of Dallas, TX‬‏
That still depends on what type of neighborhood and home he wants for his family. Some prefer the sub divison or newer homes, others want the charm of the older houses and a lot depends on updates. Older homes that have been totally updated can be priceless, those that have not been updated can be pricey!!!!

Nita

Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That still depends on what type of neighborhood and home he wants for his family. Some prefer the sub divison or newer homes, others want the charm of the older houses and a lot depends on updates. Older homes that have been totally updated can be priceless, those that have not been updated can be pricey!!!!

Nita
I found some sub-$1M newish (2004) homes in the Park Cities. The lot is small, but no bigger than Starwood/ West Plano/ etc in the same price range. It doesn't have to be a choice between big/new home vs small/old home for $850-999k these days.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,718 times
Coyotes have been found roaming through the streets of Manhatten too.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
Quote:
Unless you prefer acreage. My parents have started looking at land in West Flower Mound--you can get something really nice and special out there for that amount of money.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Sorry about the photos Geek -- it's too late for me to edit -- it's throwing my computer off too and I did pare it down some! You know how effusive I can be about my hometown!

I think the photos show there is more to the Dallas area than freeways, tollways, strip malls, big-box retail and chain restaurants. That's what most people see if they don't take the time to investigate Central Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas