Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,820 times

Advertisements

As in a lot of things, it's really a matter of personal taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sorry about the photos Geek -- it's too late for me to edit -- it's throwing my computer off too and I did pare it down some! You know how effusive I can be about my hometown!

I think the photos show there is more to the Dallas area than freeways, tollways, strip malls, big-box retail and chain restaurants. That's what most people see if they don't take the time to investigate Central Dallas.
Yes I know...which is why I'm surprised you haven't made a slideshow of those images that you can link to.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:16 PM

94 posts, read 285,215 times
For your price range, I would definitely look into Fairview, Lucas, and even Prosper as well as 'burbs already mentioned. You can get much more of a house and property for the money than in Highland/University Park and other areas of Dallas.

Of course, it depends if you want to be close to the downtown type of atmosphere or more in the country.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
Quote:
I also think the OP would be wasting money spending that much on a home in a far flung suburb. Moving to Lakewood or the Park Cities would be a much better investment. The land is actually worth something in those areas, so your value will appreciate instead of depreciate. Also, quality of life would be much higher (which is why the same home in Lakewood or Dallas is 2-3 time the price of a similar home in Collin County).

People from out of state underestimate the "buy new" phenomenon in the northern Dallas suburbs. If it ain't shiny and new, it's a lot harder to move.
Eh...

If we ever have a million dollar budget and my husband works downtown, I'll fulfill my dream of buying a Lakewood Tudor

If we ever have a million dollar budget and my husband works somewhere like Irving/Denton, I'll fulfill my dream of building a home like this on 2 acres of rolling wooded land somewhere like West Flower Mound

Best New Cottage: 2009 Southern Home Awards - Southern Living

Both are great dreams. Have fun picking a house, OP.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Sorry about the photos Geek -- it's too late for me to edit -- it's throwing my computer off too and I did pare it down some! You know how effusive I can be about my hometown!

I think the photos show there is more to the Dallas area than freeways, tollways, strip malls, big-box retail and chain restaurants. That's what most people see if they don't take the time to investigate Central Dallas.
Your hometown is DALLAS ...... Lakewood is a section in the city of Dallas. I never hear anyone referring to Oaklawn, Uptown, Downtown, Oak Cliff as their hometowns, they are all from Dallas.

From Wikepedia:

Lakewood is a neighborhood in East Dallas, Texas (USA). It is adjacent to White Rock Lake, Bryan Place, and downtown Dallas

Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Well many times we put "Lakewood, Texas" on various items.. We are still proud to be from Dallas we just consider Lakewood the real Dallas. Sometimes we also use "East Dallas". Yes we are weird and quirky! I have always heard people from Oak Cliff do the same thing..

Perhaps it is because at one time, there was an East Dallas and Oak Cliff separate from the City of Dallas. We joined later...Preston Hollow, same deal but I haven't heard them doing that much..in the past it was always "North Dallas".

Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Well many times we put "Lakewood, Texas" on various items.. We are still proud to be from Dallas we just consider Lakewood the real Dallas. Sometimes we also use "East Dallas". Yes we are weird and quirky! I have always heard people from Oak Cliff do the same thing..

Perhaps it is because at one time, there was an East Dallas and Oak Cliff separate from the City of Dallas. We joined later...Preston Hollow, same deal but I haven't heard them doing that much..in the past it was always "North Dallas".
True about Oak Cliff, maybe. My late DH went to Kimble HS in the 60's and used to say he was from Oak Cliff until I brow beated him into saying he was from Dallas. Maybe I should have been kinder to him......

Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Darn that Kimball -- they beat us by five points after we were ahead the whole basketballl playoff game this spring - then they won state!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,344 times
With that budget,it would depend on where you will be traveling to work and what type of home/lot size you are looking for....

-Preston Hollow and the Park cities would be the best and safest in town Dallas neighbohoods in that price range

-Southlake and Colleyville would be good options oif you need to travel west of Dallas near Fort Worth

-Prosper or west Plano would be the only northern suburbs I would invest that amount of money in. In that price range I would rule out Frisco,Allen,east Plano & Mc Kinney.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
As in a lot of things, it's really a matter of personal taste.

What he ^^^^^^^^said. The OP did not give us any indication on what type of lifestyle she desires. With a million dollar budget her options are endless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas