Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times

Advertisements

So I'm headed to DFW in 2 weeks and looking around with a realtor who I found here on CD.

Just to make sure I don't miss any good suburb, what are your top 5 or 6 suburbs in the area?

Housing budget under 1mil... don't think we can afford Park Cities.

I was thinking Southlake, Frisco, Flowermound, Keller...?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 AM

35 posts, read 100,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
So I'm headed to DFW in 2 weeks and looking around with a realtor who I found here on CD.

Just to make sure I don't miss any good suburb, what are your top 5 or 6 suburbs in the area?

Thanks!
What are you looking for specifically and in what area? Where will you be commuting to for work, etc.? Frisco is a pretty long ways away from Keller, so it's hard to say what the "top suburbs" are unless I know where you're looking.

West Plano is nice, and there are plenty of homes in the Park Cities under $1mil, it just depends what you're looking for.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Do you have a job you'll commute to, or any other "needs" that you want to be close to? What is your ideal commute? Are schools needed? What size lot do you expect to have?

Btw, I'm sure the realtor you've connected with is great (all of our C-D realtors are!), but rarely is someone an expert in both Keller's market and Frisco's- they are 30 miles apart and don't share much of a home-buyer base. You should figure out what burb you prefer when visiting, THEN find a realtor whose an expert in that market.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
agree with TC--you would not be doing yourself a favor if you use the same realtor for such disparate locations--and while I guess I should not be surprised that realtor would offer to show you listings in such different towns I am kind of disappointed that the realtor did not explain why it might not be in your best interests...

just because you are searching in specific price point--you can't assume that all 700K+ homes/neighborhoods are so similar that it makes no difference who shows you a house

and again--unless you are working from home you need to consider your commute--
there is no public transportation here like in the east or SF or ATL areas that might make commuting far distances bearable--

Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
There should be a new list coming out for this year soon.
D Magazine : The 10 Best Dallas Suburbs

Interestingly enough, the article was written by someone who lives in East Dallas - I think she lives in M-Streets or Vickery Place.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I would pay some attention to the article in "Big D" magazine even though all such articles are opinion only. Depending on what you want, University Park and places like that in Dallas proper can be good places to live. If the suburban vibe is more what you want, a little newer home and more for your money: Flower Mound< Highland Shores, Southlake, Keller, colleyville would all be good choices. Of course it depends on where you will be working and what kind of a commute you are expecting.

Nita

Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 AM

419 posts, read 998,185 times
Most of Dallas is suburban single-family homes. So don't count Dallas neighborhoods out just because they're a part of the big city municipality.

Check out Lakewood, M-Streets, Lake Highlands and North Dallas. They've got big trees, homes with character, unique shops and restaurants, and better commute times that you'd be missing out on in most of the 'burbs.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
I'd base it off commute--there are plenty to choose from. If you were working downtown, I'd say check out Lakewood. If you were working in Irving, Southlake or Flower Mound all the way.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
DMag's list is biannual. Even years. I'm hopeful that the next list will be far more accurate as far as population, income, education breakdowns. They've had to pull from the 2000 census info and guesstimates from NCTCOG. And as we saw when the 2010 census info came out, the guesstimates were way off base in many cases.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:

Thanks!
If you can go up to $1M, you should DEFINITELY consider the Park Cities. Not knowing what you're looking for, here are some great family sized homes in HPISD for under $1M list price-->

2820 Mcfarlin Blvd Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11550168 - Realtor.com®
Home built in 2004- 4 bedrooms/ 3.5 baths/ 4,376sf on rare cul-de-sac block in HPISD.

3015 Milton Ave Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11549282 - Realtor.com®
4/4.5 built in 1986/ 4,231sf
Needs a little cosmetic updating (wallpaper in kitchen & bath), but nice floor plan/flow with a traditional center hall plan.

3121 Westminster Ave Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11578699 - Realtor.com®4/5.5 built in 1990/ 3,363sf/ pool

4554 Westway Ave Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11563162 - Realtor.com®
Perfectly updated 1940's traditional 4/4 home with 3,362 with a nice 80' lot (.23 acre)

Remember that HPISD property taxe rate are the VERY lowest in DFW and homestead exemptions (lowering your home's taxable value) are the most beneficial at a full 20%. If you bought the $850k house I posted last and paid list price (unlikely), your total tax bill would be $13,670 per year. If you bought another $850k home in the Lakewood part of Dallas, your total tax bill would be $19,125 - nearly $5,500 higher due to higher tax rates and less competitive homestead exemptions (20% on city & county portions, but only 10% on DISD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas