Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 AM

65 posts, read 186,559 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm visiting Dallas from 5/26 to 5/30 to check Dallas, SMU campus and surrounding area.

I have some questions I need help with:

1-Where do people hang out in Dallas? Downtown ?

2- Which area is good for SMU student?

3- if I live on Downtown, can I go to SMU by using DART?

4- What should I see or visit on my staying in Dallas?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Expect the city to feel quieter than normal due to the holiday weekend.

If your budget allows, you should check out Uptown to live & play. It is the neighborhood just north of downtown and just south of the Park Cities where SMU is. There are tons of posts on the forum about Uptown so you can read up. McKinney Avenue is one long strip of bars & restaurants popular with the 20 & 30-somethings who live, work, and play in the area. A 1-br in a newer building will run about $1000-1300. Some older buildings that aren't updated will have 1 br's in the $750-900 range.

Things to check out & do/see:
-the Mavs-OKC series should still be going on. If you can't snag tickets to see it live at American Airlines Center in Uptown, then park yourself at one of these sports bars in Uptown, buy a Mavs shirt, and make new friends: Nodding Donkey, Frankie's, State & Allen, McKinney Avenue Tavern (MAT)

-For nighlife, some great casual bars in Uptown & nearby Knox-Henderson area are the Gingerman, TABC, Katy Trail Icehouse, Barcadia, The Old Monk. Some more upscale/lounge type places are Lotus and the bars at Hotel Zaza and the Ritz Carlton

-Some "must eats" are steak at Nick & Sam's or Bob's, takeout from Eatzi's, sushi from Tei Tei or Sushi Axiom, brunch at Capitol Pub or Breadwinner's, Tex-Mex at Mia's or Mi Cocina, burgers at Twisted Root (by SMU), fried chicken & biscuits at Bubba's (by SMU).

-Other things to see/do, not knowing your interests:
Walk/Run/cycle on the Katy Trail in Uptown
Nasher Sculpture Garden & Museum in the Arts District downtown
Check out White Rock Lake- pick up Eatzi's and go picnic.
Drive around some of the pretty neighborhoods like the Park Cities (surrounds SMU), Lakewood (west of White Rock Lake), and Kessler Park (southwest of downtown).
Take a stroll though the Bishop Arts District near Kessler Park- funky shops, indie restaurants, etc
Good Records on Lower Greenville- best indie record store left in Dallas. Sometimes live music on Saturdays
Society Bakery on Lower Greenville- best cupcakes, cookies, etc!

You mentioned public transit. Dallas REALLY is a driving city- you may be able to find an apartment on the DART rail (would leave you with living in the West Village part of Uptown and walking across 75 to catch the cityplace stop), but you'll need a car to get around- for instance to go to Costco or Whole Foods or the doctor or to White Rock Lake or a part time job, etc. But yea, if you lived within a few blocks of the CityPlace station you could take it up to Mockingbird and there's a SMU shuttle to get you to campus.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks TurtleCreek80 for your ideas,

I'll have my car for sure, but the idea of living near DART station is not using the car to go to school every day.

I'm very excited to see Dallas.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMazyad View Post
Thanks TurtleCreek80 for your ideas,

I'll have my car for sure, but the idea of living near DART station is not using the car to go to school every day.

I'm very excited to see Dallas.
Gotcha. If you lived around the Knox Street area, just north of Uptown running along Highland Park's east border, you could hop on the Katy Trail and walk / cycle about 2 miles to the graduate school part of campus. Knox Street has a lot of restaurants, bars, etc there too.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Which grad school?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Which grad school?
Lyle School of Engineering at SMU.

I'll study master of Since in Information Engineering and Management.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,991 times
I'll be headed to Dallas this weekend as well. Fall 2011 Incoming Grad Student. Have you thought of any apartments you want to look at when you get there?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadebiyi View Post
I'll be headed to Dallas this weekend as well. Fall 2011 Incoming Grad Student. Have you thought of any apartments you want to look at when you get there?
Not yet. but I'll check Uptown area it has many apartments. I so also the Village which is really close to SMU.

Which school are you going for?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,991 times
Meadows School of Arts/ Temerlin Advertising Institute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas