Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM

469 posts, read 886,388 times

Advertisements

Denton isn't all grungy

Denton rules for just about any type of young person
Punk, indie, yuppie, hipster, dude brahs, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM

58 posts, read 97,951 times
My trip is this weekend. I am staying in Southlake and will need to work with a realtor Sun or Mon. Any referrals appreciated.

I am looking to lease a studio/1 bedroom with a budget of $1100 max.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevenbridle View Post
Is living in Dallas proper an unreasonable commute and therefore, crazy idea? I've checked google maps.
A key here is what area, near where is the work place? Not sure I've understood that reading the thread though I did pick up on the Westlake preference. If you're looking for urban you're a long way off. Anything not inner Dallas or Fort Worth is going to be suburban by Boston standards.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM

The replies (that sound interesting) from the thread are Grapevine, Fort Worth (if I choose to live where I play) and Southlake (if there are condos for lease available).
My work location is Westlake which is unaffordable and prob too suburban for my tastes at 25.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Yeah, looks like you're SOL in Westlake. I'd highly recommend to take a rental for six months while discovering just where you are and where you'd prefer to be. After a couple of weekends in Fort Worth, it's gonna be a long haul in to Dallas for a broader spectrum of entertainment. And a buzz kill driving to Arlington for live sports.

A temporary compromise might be Las Colinas living. The drive to Westlake will be against traffic and not a bad drive in to Dallas for a weekend night. I used to drive from near Uptown to near Coppell for work, about 20 minutes. But that's just my take. This isn't L.A. or Boston. Most rush hour traffic in the 'burbs is one way, towards town. The real entertainment is looking at the outbound rush hour stacked up while your commute is inbound.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Ideally, I'd prefer to live in Dallas. I've got college buddies there and have really enjoyed my time spent there but it doesn't look like there is a direct route to Westlake.

I realize it's not urban/walkable like Boston, more like LA in terms of traffic and drive time. I've got a lot to cover in a couple of days. All suggestions appreciated.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
There are no condos or apartments for rental in Southlake, only single family homes. Southlake is also a very family-oriented typical suburban town.

As we've said before, downtown Grapevine, Las Colinas, and downtown Fort Worth will be your best bets.

There is no direct route from Dallas to Westlake, and all of the choices have large sections currently under reconstruction. Unless you want to sit in traffic both rush hours, you will do better to live closer to your work and go out on weekends.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Downtown Grapevine sounds best all around while I get situated.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
agree that if you can find something in your price range that downtown Grapevine might very well be best choice
just stay away from apts along Mustang drive

Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
someone posted yesterday on flyertalk forum that all rental cars in DFW were booked for this weekend or else had very high rates (like 100 a day for mid-size)--
did not try to verify for myself--but hope you have your rental car tied up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas