Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 PM

219 posts, read 333,989 times

Advertisements

do you think it would be cheaper for my family and i to drive down there to dallas from michigan or to catch a plane, get a hotel, and rent a car? its going to be my hubs, me, our two kids(3yrs old, and 9months), my sister and her boyfriend making a trip down there for a vacation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
just add up the plane fares for that many people

you have to balance your trip down/back for gas/food/hotel room if you stop

plus cost of car rental for that many people and two car seats--that means minivan
why are you coming here on vacation--most people would not see the attraction

Old 05-28-2011, 06:56 AM

509 posts, read 1,262,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
do you think it would be cheaper for my family and i to drive down there to dallas from michigan or to catch a plane, get a hotel, and rent a car? its going to be my hubs, me, our two kids(3yrs old, and 9months), my sister and her boyfriend making a trip down there for a vacation...
I imagine it would be cheaper to drive but really why I'm posting is because I know how it is to travel (by car) with young children like yours and it is very, very, very hard. Although I would say that I probably would rather drive than take a plane with young children. We usually travel somewhere else that takes us about 5 to 6 hours and we would have to stop about twice because our babies would get tired of being in the car seat and that kind of thing. This kind of trip is very hard on them and therefore you too. You will have cranky, crying babies every now and then and hopefully your sister and her boyfriend don't give you a hard time about that. I just wanted to let you know that traveling with such young children is going to be VERY HARD.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
I can't imagine driving all that distance with kids that young. I travel to Dallas often enough, this last time out we went with all our kids on a plane. 3 of them, all under the age of 4. To be completely honest it had ir'a awful moments, a few people were leering at us on the flight out. On the way back we were seated near a family with a baby so it was easier.

With that said, I personally can't say one would be better than the other. The plane ride is at least over and done with in a few hours. The car ride will drag on and on and on, but at least you have the option to stop and take a break and won't inconvenience anyone with cranky kids.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
I visit my family in Michigan often - although I am very budget conscience, I have never chosen to drive - it's far and you will probably spend more than you think to stop at hotels, meals, etc.
You can get a direct flight on American from Grand Rapids - 2 1/2 hours. EASY!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 19,266 times
It would be to expensive driving with gas prices, time, food, lodging, I would fly.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas