Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,986 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My fiance and I will be moving from Boston to Dallas in a couple of months for work. I'm in my late 20's (he's in early 30's). We've been to Dallas a couple of times and started visiting apt complexes and have been overwhelmed with the choices. We really liked a place in "uptown" (on McKinnon) but then i researched reviews & police reports on it and it had tons of reported car break-ins, theft, vandalism in the apartment garage. Is that a common thing in Dallas or are there areas more prone to it than others? I'm asking as i am planning on getting a fairly nice car for my long commute to fort worth. we previously lived in seattle (before boston) so we are used to fairly safe cities, so not quite sure what to expect in the different areas in dallas.

What neighborhood or even specific apartment complexes would you guys recommend for the following:

1. Low noise levels ( i cannot sleep with any background noise ), but still close (walking distance) to restaurants, bars, venues.
2. 2bedroom, 2 bathroom
3. Area with other young couples (without children) - trying to stay away from the party-intensive early 20's crowd.
4. Preferably hardwood floors, granite counter tops, nice big kitchen with good appliances.
5. Preferably tall ceilings

Budget is not really an issue, but I am curious what would be the expected rent: $2.000-2,500?

thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
post in the Fort Worth forum. There are great apartments in Sundance Square in Fort Worth. Makes no sense to commute from Dallas if you will work there.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Absolutely no reason to live and Dallas and slug through the I-30 commute twice daily. Fort Worth is a great city with lots of young professionals. Look near TCU's campus or around the Arts District near West 7th. Look south of I-30 between Hulen & University- very pretty neighborhood, near nighlife and flood shopping (Central Market, Neiman's, etc), the museums & gardens, and the young professional nighlife (vs TCU kids....who really don't seem to be very wild anyway). The FW forum will have lots more info for you!

$1500 is probably a good estimate for a luxury 2/2 apartment. You could also rent a cute house near TCU for around the same amount of money.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks guys - i may look into FW as well, but really my job is near the DFW airport so i won't be going all the way into FW. Everyone my age at work apparently lives in the dallas uptown area and they swear by it - they reported the traffic is pretty easy - hmmm.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Oh, if you work at DFW then live in Uptown or Knox-Henderson parts of Dallas. It's about a 25 minute drive to DFW.

There are a lot of car break-ins in Uptown, but mainly because people are stupid and leave iPods, handbags, golf clubs etc in plain sight. I've lived in the area for 5 years and never had one break in. The only person I know of who got his car stolen left it running while he ran back inside his apartment to get something....

The State-Thomas part of Uptown is quieter and a little older crowd than the apartments on McKinney. atmAndy is a regular poster who lives in the Manchester apartments. They are very nice and I believe have private garages for each unit. The Monterrey is brand new and a bit north of the West Village- it's expensive for Dallas and appears to have drawn an older crowd than the SMU kiddos that do tend to take over some uptown complexes. There is also a high rise on Knox Street that you may want to look into. Think it's called the Travis.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpantera View Post
Thanks guys - i may look into FW as well, but really my job is near the DFW airport so i won't be going all the way into FW. Everyone my age at work apparently lives in the dallas uptown area and they swear by it - they reported the traffic is pretty easy - hmmm.

Then why did you write you were driving to Fort Worth? The DFW Airport is closer to Dallas than Fort Worth.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Oh sorry for the confusion! I am not that familiar with the area. My work is technically in FW but it is also right next to the airport. I guess we will stick with Dallas - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas