Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 15,473 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Here is my predicament. I am in the hunt for a job, I am in Marketing with Graphic & Web design skills. I have just over 4 yrs experience. I am currently in Austin, TX, I have been sending out resumes non-stop for about 5-6 weeks now & I haven't been able to so much as wrangle an interview. I have enough $$ to feel safe for a few more months & if I have to resort to the food & beverage industry to survive longer I will do what I have to do to make ends meet.

So here is the variable... I have an "30 day no questions asked" option to void my lease coming this Tuesday. I have located a 1bdr. apartment for $695 in Irving, TX 75038 (Which is about $100 less than what I am paying now in ATX). Hidden Ridge on the Canal is the name of the place just in case it is pertinent. If I don't take the option then I am stuck in my lease in ATX for 5 more months. If I leave, then really the only cost I am loosing is about $500 in moving costs which will be equated with the lower rent.

Here is the main question... My main focus is getting a decent job for someone in my work experience bracket. I love the life in Austin, but if there is no money coming in the door, it isn't that great. I want to work. What is the safer bet in regards to finding a job? Do I roll the dice and move to Dallas (Irving) this week, or do I hunker down and keep searching in ATX?

Also, Is Irving an okay spot, it seems to be close to most of the jobs I am about to apply to. But I don't want to end up in a bad part of town. The apartment complex looks good online but that is online. It also allows me to bring my 45lb dog.

Thanks for your help & sorry for all the detail. I see most threads are asking for more info... Hopefully I got everything in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
I would look for a job in the DFW area before just up and moving. There is no guarantee the job market here is better then in ATX. In fact I'm a little surprised that you're having so much of a problem finding a job down there.

I'm in the advertising industry and got lucky that I found a job 3 months out of college, but that was 3 months without income. I would put your feelers out here first before making the move.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:02 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithiopian View Post
Hey All,

Here is my predicament. I am in the hunt for a job, I am in Marketing with Graphic & Web design skills. I have just over 4 yrs experience. I am currently in Austin, TX, I have been sending out resumes non-stop for about 5-6 weeks now & I haven't been able to so much as wrangle an interview. I have enough $$ to feel safe for a few more months & if I have to resort to the food & beverage industry to survive longer I will do what I have to do to make ends meet.

So here is the variable... I have an "30 day no questions asked" option to void my lease coming this Tuesday. I have located a 1bdr. apartment for $695 in Irving, TX 75038 (Which is about $100 less than what I am paying now in ATX). Hidden Ridge on the Canal is the name of the place just in case it is pertinent. If I don't take the option then I am stuck in my lease in ATX for 5 more months. If I leave, then really the only cost I am loosing is about $500 in moving costs which will be equated with the lower rent.

Here is the main question... My main focus is getting a decent job for someone in my work experience bracket. I love the life in Austin, but if there is no money coming in the door, it isn't that great. I want to work. What is the safer bet in regards to finding a job? Do I roll the dice and move to Dallas (Irving) this week, or do I hunker down and keep searching in ATX?

Also, Is Irving an okay spot, it seems to be close to most of the jobs I am about to apply to. But I don't want to end up in a bad part of town. The apartment complex looks good online but that is online. It also allows me to bring my 45lb dog.

Thanks for your help & sorry for all the detail. I see most threads are asking for more info... Hopefully I got everything in.
I'd really make an all out push for job hunting in DFW, bigger market probably equates to better job prospect. I'm not too surprised about Austin, when we lived there 2007 - 2009, my husband had a heck of a time as an Environmental type guy and ended up taking one of the contractor positions overseas (Iraq).
Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
You might have better luck in DFW, but I wouldn't expect a miracle. Austin's job market is not that great, it's highly overrated.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I know several people with your skills and work experience here in Dallas that are unemployed. One is doing some free lance and I believe one has moved out of state. I wouldn't come up here without a job (hate to say that but just being honest).

Old 05-29-2011, 04:48 PM

That all makes sense, and if I was currently working I wouldn't think about leaving without having a job lined up. But I guess the way I am looking at this is I am unemployed here & I am unemployed there. But there rent is $100 cheaper & granted the population is larger, the dynamics of the 2 cities would offer more potential for finding employment.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
based on that equation moving does seem like better option
but in Austin you at least have network of friends to fall back on
you don't know anything about DFW area
are you getting UEB

Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 PM

heh he... had to look up what UEB was... No living off the savings right now.

I am not apposed to serving some tables for a few months either if it comes to it. I anticipate having to do so before I burn all my savings. I haven't lived in Austin very long, so I don't really have a networking scene here either. But through all my research & word of mouth here in Austin, I am beginning to believe that an opportunity is more likely to come my way in DFW than Austin.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithiopian View Post
heh he... had to look up what UEB was... No living off the savings right now.

I am not apposed to serving some tables for a few months either if it comes to it. I anticipate having to do so before I burn all my savings. I haven't lived in Austin very long, so I don't really have a networking scene here either. But through all my research & word of mouth here in Austin, I am beginning to believe that an opportunity is more likely to come my way in DFW than Austin.
One of my sons is in your exact situation. I'll be picking him up in LA and he'll stay with my younger son in Austin for a few weeks then join me in DFW. I'll be helping him look for a place and job as well. He wants to live in Austin, but I don't think its a good fit for him; and he's a big city kid anyways, so I think he'll love Dallas.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:53 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,550 times
If it was me I would move to DFW and try and find any job while you're looking for what you really want. There are a lot of basic kinds of jobs around and it's always been my experience that finding a job while you're working is easier..........Plus if you're already here employers would probably prefer that too...........

I came to DFW in 1994 and took a second shift job 3pm to 11pm to leave my days free while I did my real job search..Might work for you too??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas