Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,802,942 times

Advertisements

The Regional Transportation Council took the first step Thursday toward a new model in North Texas for how commuter rail could be financed and built.
The 43-member council voted unanimously to give itself the lead role in finding private firms to partner with local transit agencies to build - and pay for - what could be a 62-mile long Cotton Belt commuter rail line from Fort Worth to McKinney.
Such a public-private partnership for rail would be the first in Texas, and one of the very few in America.

What are your thoughts on the Fort Worth-McKinney rail line?

Planned Fort Worth-McKinney rail line to seek private partner | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM

51 posts, read 104,703 times
I would love that if it comes to fruition...I live in McKinney and would enjoy being able to take a train out to Ft Worth on the weekends. But there is already a train in Grapevine that goes to Ft Worth - would the McKinney one connect to that rail line? Also, I wonder how much demand there would be for people to travel back and forth between the two cities? I would think it would be mostly for recreational travel on the weekends, not really high demand for daily connection between the two. But sounds like it would be a nice addition to the public transportation in the area. Would love to hear more about it...

Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 PM

124 posts, read 258,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX>NM View Post
I would love that if it comes to fruition...I live in McKinney and would enjoy being able to take a train out to Ft Worth on the weekends. But there is already a train in Grapevine that goes to Ft Worth - would the McKinney one connect to that rail line? Also, I wonder how much demand there would be for people to travel back and forth between the two cities? I would think it would be mostly for recreational travel on the weekends, not really high demand for daily connection between the two. But sounds like it would be a nice addition to the public transportation in the area. Would love to hear more about it...
Well the train from Grapevine to Fort Worth is the Tarantula Train :

https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Th...FcpR2godRniqgg

That's a vintage train ride and it is designed to bring back the feel of years gone past. That includes the travel times of the olden days...you know...back when scientists and doctors were convinced that humans would die at speeds above 50 MPH. That's where the name for the train line comes from; tarantulas are many things, but fast isn't one of them.

It sounds like the Fort Worth McKinney line will be more of a Commuter rail, but who commutes from McKinney to Fort Worth and vice versa?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,595,110 times
the Tarantula runs on the old Cotton Belt line that DART bought--
Tarrant county tried to get group of towns together to fund a tax to work toward using that rail bed for commuter line from DFW airport into Stockyards were the Tarantual goes now then downtown FTW and then south to TCU area
but many of the necessary towns would not agree to the tax and DART would not give a long term lease to the that group

the success of that rail venture depends so much on how the ownership of the line is designed and how responsive the people who actually control the decision making/fee-setting authority are to the will of the people

this is the same system that is controlling the toll road system in TX now to certain extent--
privaate parties using roads that were paid for with tax payers money/bonds--to build their own toll lanes now partially with money from Federal grants and local bonds and take over control--
that board is totally non-responsive to TX voters since we have NO SAY in the tolls and other actions the board can vote for
and if you don't own significant amount of stock in that privately held company then you don't have a voice anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas