Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

Although not "in" Dallas, the photos below are of the Hurst area and there are places like this all over the metroplex. It is not a treeless prairie. The entire thread can be viewed here. Keep in mind this was in the winter when these photos were taken; around Christmas, so everything was dormant.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
So..overgrown bushes?

Hahaha...seriously those can be found in Phoenix if I looked at its local parks.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:50 PM

They're not overgrown bushes; they're deciduous trees that are 30-50 feet tall. Oaks, Maples, Sweet-Gum, mixed in with some pine trees here and there. They're just as tall as the trees on the highway pic you posted earlier in this thread. It's just that it's winter time and they're not all plump and green. And I doubt that you'll see very much of that in Phoenix.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:04 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,769 times
Ummm, yea. Great pic Synopsis, but I grew up in the Houston area. Houston wins on trees, end of story. We're stretching the truth to say otherwise. There are areas of Dallas where bands of trees stretch through it, but by and large we're a prarie metro, and at least half of Houston has lots of thick forests. We have nothing even touching The Woodlands development in the Dallas area in any great scope, certainly not an area the size of Carrollton.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM

I didn't try and say that there were more trees here than in Houston DFWMike. I was simply illustrating that it's not a flat dusty prairie.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Yep someone from Houston said Dallas had no trees, that's what started it..

Old 06-01-2007, 02:22 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,769 times
oh, my apologies, I was just trying to make sure the lady who asked wasn't mislead.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Houston is heavily dominated by pine forests. Dallas is grassland interspersed with heavy belts of forest along watercourses, except for the Cross Timbers area between Dallas and Fort Worth which is heavily timbered everywhere. The areas 30-40 miles west of Dallas is actually an extension of the Central Texas Hill Country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Houston is not dominated by pine trees, they are only in certain areas which are more expensive.

A major difference between Dallas and Houston is that Dallas has very comprehensive zoning buffering businesses, apartments, townhomes and single family homes from each other. Dallas also has probably the most conservation and historic districts in the USA.

Houston has no zoning at all. Technically someone can build a convenience store next door to your home. It doesn't happen often, but it is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Most of the Houston area has pine trees. The far west/southwest/south sides are prairie.
Quote:
I don't remember any pine trees around the refineries and other areas to the southeast, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
In a word, No. Not even close to most. Not even half.
Quote:
You ever been to the west side of Houston, south of I-10 between Highway 6 and Downtown? Full of trees. North side from Downtown on up, full of trees. North of 290 all the way around to Lake Houston is full of trees. I don't know what your talking about.
Quote:
Dallas has trees by the lakes (duh!) and on its southside by Cedar Hill and Duncanville. But this place is dominated by prairie. There are a few pockets (of course), but they aren't in abundance like in Houston. The only other place where you will see trees in Dallas are in established neighborhoods (where they were planted).

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Houston360032.jpg (broken link)
Quote:
Dallas has The Great Trinity Forest. Over 6000 acres in the one of the largest urban forests in the country: Great Trinity Forest (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/html/great_trinity_forest.html - broken link)
Quote:
http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/images/forestmap2.jpg (broken link)

That's a small snippet.
Quote:
Yep someone from Houston said Dallas had no trees, that's what started it..
I don't know who that was. I just reposted everything that had to do with the trees/no trees.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I lived in Houston near Gessner and Westheimer, where the trees start -- so I do know a bit about it...

Old 06-01-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I lived in Houston near Gessner and Westheimer, where the trees start -- so I do know a bit about it...
Alright that's fine, its over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas