Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
When I'm at an up-north suburb I like to say that I live next to Fair Park. It's almost as much fun as "Candid Camera".
Next to.......... Heck no, I live IN Fair Park Being that I'm on the lighter complexion side, educated, etc it REALLY throws people for a loop.

Now, back to those distinct areas of town/suburbs that people use to designate where they live. When it comes to "West Plano" for some reason the boundry has all of a sudden moved. Not too long ago anything west of say Coit was considered "West Plano". But don't dare say that to anyone that lives FARTHER west nowadays as they will get offended. Therein lies a real problem when people can't even accept the people that live in the same suburb/city as them because they live "on the OTHER side" of a street a few miles away. Then take a look at how many people in "West Plano" put down those that live in Far East Plano............ that is really pathetic when you consider the fact that the larger "estates" and a more "country" atmosphere is on the east side vs the west side. Afterall when the prez of TI lives in Far East Plano how "bad" can it be . In my eyes that is REALLY bad when you can't even accept the people that live in the same city/suburb as you because it is in a different area all because you've been told it is "bad" or somehow beneath you. Just take a look at the one post by maddyzmommy on pg 1 of this thread and she is SURE to point out "West Plano" just as much as other posters have done. You don't see them defending ALL of Plano nor spouting the good virtues that other parts of a city the size of Plano have in ALL areas. Yes, I will admit there are some areas of Garland that are not "nice, neat, clean, etc" but that does not mean that the ONLY good part of the city to live in is the Firewheel area. I've pointed posters to other areas all over the city to look into as I've been deep into them and KNOW firsthand that there are some great neighborhoods in the older sections of town. Sorry that most of Garland is an older suburb and not as "new" as most of Plano, Frisco, etc. That does not by any means make it "bad" because it is older, that our schools are older, etc. The old stereotypes continue to get fed and spread by people that really, honestly don't know the area that well. Sadly some of the most guilty are realtors in the "new" areas of the metroplex that they themselves are clueless on other areas of this vast metroplex and just continue to spill garbage out of their mouths. Sorry to put it that way but I've worked w/ enough of them to know and hear it almost on a weekly basis from many of them.

When I'm traveling out of the state and people ask where I live I respond, "Dallas". If they then proceed to say they once lived here or a friend/relative lives/lived here THEN we might go a little deeper into what part of the metroplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The people I live around are more "stable" in that they have lived in the area for a long time and don't plan on moving (many being natives to the Dallas area and readily admit they grew up in, GASP, Garland ). Just read these boards and look at how many people moving into the Dallas area are looking at the so-called "hot places to be" like West Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc AND THEN point out that they will only be in this region/state for 2-5 years.

EXACTLY. That is why we are often at odds with those who can rightly be called 'nomads'. They have no neighborhood nor school loyalties of generations yet they feel they can attack ours in a drive-by on their way to the next suburb in the next state.

I came to this board because another board to which I belong reported the savaging of my city here...when I have attempted to single out shortcomings in the specious Shangri-las of suburbia as a defense or eye-opener to newcomers seeking advice, I have been similarly savaged.

We who have lived here and watched all this growth since the 1960s are not stupid about the subject. I think we know more about Dallas than the intermittent interlopers!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I have neighbors that I have known since 1967 (when we moved here and I was 3 years old). Our neighborhood is very stable. We have 3 houses on the market now and I think there are about 550 in the whole neighborhood. Rarely do we get out of towners moving here. We get relatives of people already here, Collin County folks tired of commuting and employees of the local schools who realized they are actually pretty good schools close into town. You really have to be "in the know" about this area bec on the face of it it's just a bunch of 1960s houses in Dallas proper and probably not that great sounding.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:13 AM

501 posts, read 1,462,635 times
Now, back to those distinct areas of town/suburbs that people use to designate where they live. When it comes to "West Plano" for some reason the boundry has all of a sudden moved. Not too long ago anything west of say Coit was considered "West Plano". But don't dare say that to anyone that lives FARTHER west nowadays as they will get offended.

I have personally never witnessed that if you say it has happened I will take your word for it. It certain isn’t wide spread.
Therein lies a real problem when people can't even accept the people that live in the same suburb/city as them because they live "on the OTHER side" of a street a few miles away. Then take a look at how many people in "West Plano" put down those that live in Far East Plano............ that is really pathetic when you consider the fact that the larger "estates" and a more "country" atmosphere is on the east side vs the west side. Afterall when the prez of TI lives in Far East Plano how "bad" can it be . In my eyes that is REALLY bad when you can't even accept the people that live in the same city/suburb as you because it is in a different area all because you've been told it is "bad" or somehow beneath you.

There are people in Firewheel who have the same attitude towards other areas of Garland. I have seen it first hand, and it’s wrong no matter who is taking that attitude. It happens in every city to some degree.

Just take a look at the one post by maddyzmommy on pg 1 of this thread and she is SURE to point out "West Plano" just as much as other posters have done. You don't see them defending ALL of Plano nor spouting the good virtues that other parts of a city the size of Plano have in ALL areas.

I assume you aren’t including me in that generalization since I not only live east of Preston but east of Coit as well. I don’t defend Plano in any way. You either like it or you don’t. However the generalizations about the people being snobs looking down upon others, all not being able to afford their homes ect are generally untrue.

Yes, I will admit there are some areas of Garland that are not "nice, neat, clean, etc" but that does not mean that the ONLY good part of the city to live in is the Firewheel area. I've pointed posters to other areas all over the city to look into as I've been deep into them and KNOW firsthand that there are some great neighborhoods in the older sections of town. Sorry that most of Garland is an older suburb and not as "new" as most of Plano, Frisco, etc. That does not by any means make it "bad" because it is older, that our schools are older, etc. The old stereotypes continue to get fed and spread by people that really, honestly don't know the area that well. Sadly some of the most guilty are realtors in the "new" areas of the metroplex that they themselves are clueless on other areas of this vast metroplex and just continue to spill garbage out of their mouths. Sorry to put it that way but I've worked w/ enough of them to know and hear it almost on a weekly basis from many of them.

I have also posted on these boards about areas of Garland that I like. I have also posted things that, having graduated from NGHS and living there for a number of years right out of college that we didn’t like. Again, I speak from personal experience there.

My point here is that just as people making generalizations about the city of Garland, Dallas, whatever the city, is a mistake. It’s equally wrong to characterize all the citizens of entire cities as snobs who can’t afford their homes and they don't talk to their neighbors blah blah blah.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:32 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I never understood what the lines were when talking about East Plano, Central Plano and West Plano. Somebody once told me East Plano is East of Custer, but I always assumed it was Central Expresseway.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 AM

501 posts, read 1,462,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I never understood what the lines were when talking about East Plano, Central Plano and West Plano. Somebody once told me East Plano is East of Custer, but I always assumed it was Central Expresseway.
To ME East Plano is east of Custer, Central Plano between Custer and Coit, and West Plano is west of Coit. Why is that where I consider the lines? Because that is roughly where the lines for the senior highs are.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
It seems like the lines have moved progressively west. When I moved to Plano about 12 years ago, it seemed like everybody considered Highway 75 (Central Expressway) the dividing line between what was considered east and west Plano. Go figure!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It seems like the lines have moved progressively west. When I moved to Plano about 12 years ago, it seemed like everybody considered Highway 75 (Central Expressway) the dividing line between what was considered east and west Plano. Go figure!
That's what we were told around '97. Meh whatever. There are nice houses and nice neighborhoods in my experience in older areas (i.e., apparently that means over 10 nowadays) and there are crappy neighborhoods with shoddily built houses in newer areas. That's why it pays to do your homework. My husband worked in Plano so we liked to be within 30 minutes of that. If he goes back and works somewhere else, we'll look other places as well.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 AM

77 posts, read 341,642 times
I grew up in Plano and we always considered 75 the "line". lol Of course, back then, there wasn't squat west of Preston and Frisco was just where the hor' houses were.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
We mentioned earlier in this thread about cities imposing a building moratorium. Last night on the news they mentioned the city of Little Elm was supposed to decide last night about putting one in place. I'd say that would be a VERY smart thing to do for all of the area cities.

All week the news has been saying that the number of existing homes sold is lower than last year. Would that not naturally happen if less people are putting their homes up for sale? I don't see where that is a bad thing but rather a good thing as it means the area is becoming more stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas