Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
EDS_ : aren't you a private school proponent?
I'm a proponent of exceptional schooling public or private. I have paid paid a lot of private school tuition for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Fragilistic View Post
Those are still government-funded jobs, so they're not exactly private. If anybody needs whatever they are producing, private citizens will continue to buy those services or products. If not, then some waste has been eliminated and that cannot be bad. I can't imagine anything that won't work better with fewer bureaucrats, union sweet deals etc.

Support your state government in taking such steps! In contrast, over here they go "oh, crap, we're broke, let's spend even more!". For example, the freeways are crumbling but they cannot fix them ... no funds. When they do "fix" them, they end in pretty much the same condition a few months and several billions later. They also have no problem finding funds to replace all working fluorescent lights on the bridges across the Bay with LED clusters ... so you can see the potholes a bit better.
Coincidentally, a few months ago I was talking to the sales manager at the local Audi dealership and he was telling me about the Audi R8 (V10, mind you) he had just delivered to ... wait for it ... the guy who owns the business that did the LEDs on the bridge.

Cuts are good. The deeper the better.
LOL. So people are going to go out and pay themselves for infrastructure and public services?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
"While the Nation As a Whole Struggles, the Dallas Area Economy Just Keeps Growing" - Dallas News - Unfair Park

Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
the state used to take care of our freeway system--now it has turned a good bit here in DFW area over to private enterprise and we have toll roads strangling us with tolls (that will only get higher) and no way to influence the board of directors--this corporation also has the right to impose eminent domain on landowners--
that is one example of what private enterprise does better than public (lol)

Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
It's a popular sport here to bash the Bush tax cuts, so any talk about tax rate rollbacks is automatically presumed to be about those.
Likely by people who are knee-jerk reactionists and don't read posts attentively...
I understood the poster was referring to the tax cuts done at a state level and that the legislature, the governor, and the public were warned those cuts were going to cause future shortfalls--
and were also ignored by the largely Republican voters and public and certainly by the governor and legislature...
Perry managed to win two elections after those tax cuts--once by enacting those tax cuts and the second time after stealing the Federal money that was supposed to be used ONLY for educational purposes and spreading it around to smooth out the holes in the entire state budget--THIS time he could not get his hands on the Fed's money in time to save this budget under discussion
but since he wants to run for President guess he is not worried about governorship

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
All jobs aren't created equal
Suspect tx's highest income jobs created are in oil&gas, largely in hou and dfw, not commie Austin or gubberment slum of sa

Much like ca's wealth is created by a few 1000 engineers in Palo alto area

And nyc's wealth creation is largely a few 1000 hedge fund guys and Goldman traders

Rest of these multimillion population regions are full of many unskilled economic underachievers who live off the top 1% of taxpayers

Btw, no correlation exists between educational spending or staffing and kids achieving skills relevant to any employers

And NYC and ca each have absurd income/property/sales taxes yet have decrepit infrastructure, crumbling roads, poor public schools, toll roads, etc which are no better or worse than that of tx which has a 0% state income tax..only diffce is NYC and ca have many, many unskilled unionized gvt workers who earn >>$100k/yr and have lavish pensions and job security unimaginable to most private sector workers

And doubt highland park public schools are materially worse/better than Scarsdale ny or short hills nj or Palo alto ca or winnetka il public schools....even if compare top echelon of any major state w comparable amounts of highly educated affluent taxpayers...

Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 PM

55 posts, read 283,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the state used to take care of our freeway system--now it has turned a good bit here in DFW area over to private enterprise and we have toll roads strangling us with tolls (that will only get higher) and no way to influence the board of directors--this corporation also has the right to impose eminent domain on landowners--
that is one example of what private enterprise does better than public (lol)
I'm no lover of toll roads myself. We have them here as well but they are worse than those in Dallas and substantially more expensive ($6 to cross a freakin' bridge or $6+ for 10 miles on i680 in the morning).
Whether public or "private", monopolies are the same and, between the two, I'd go with a public monopoly any day ... so I'm with you on this one.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I wish they'd stop printing stories like this...we already have enough people here, more than our resources can support.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It's a popular sport here to bash the Bush tax cuts, so any talk about tax rate rollbacks is automatically presumed to be about those.
Likely by people who are knee-jerk reactionists and don't read posts attentively...
I understood the poster was referring to the tax cuts done at a state level and that the legislature, the governor, and the public were warned those cuts were going to cause future shortfalls--
and were also ignored by the largely Republican voters and public and certainly by the governor and legislature...
Perry managed to win two elections after those tax cuts--once by enacting those tax cuts and the second time after stealing the Federal money that was supposed to be used ONLY for educational purposes and spreading it around to smooth out the holes in the entire state budget--THIS time he could not get his hands on the Fed's money in time to save this budget under discussion
but since he wants to run for President guess he is not worried about governorship
Decaf, decaf, decaf!
If Perry stole federal money where is the indictment?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Decaf, decaf, decaf!
If Perry stole federal money where is the indictment?

That stimulus money fiasco finally flushed away the last vestige of respect I ever had for Perry. Here was the guy who stood on the table and railed at the top of his lungs against the stimulus funds...even talked of seceding from the nation...heck he wrote a book about "keeping washington out of state business" yet when he needed to balance the budget last year to save his re election bid he gladly took the money without a peep...I dont have a problem with a politician who has different ideas to me...what I do have a problem with is a man without principles...a principled man would have said last year...ok we are in the hole...but we are not taking the stimulus funds because I think they are wrong...so we are going to make the massive cuts now....

I would have disagreed with him strongly on that view...but I would have respected him because he stood by what he believed in...but Perry knew that making those massive cuts last year would have doomed his re election bid so he sold his 'beliefs' for a mess of porridge...That's why the move by Doggett really exposed the emperor as having no clothes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas