Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 27,363 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 22 years old living in Shreveport, La. I have 3 children ages 4, 3 and 8 months. I am wanting to move to Dallas. I wanted to move last year but my car stopped on me so i decided to stay. I have a new car now and I am getting the urge to move again. Currently my major is criminal justice &i would like to start back going to school; i want to be a police officer or somewhere in that feild that has a good income. Im jus tired of it here!! There is no room for advancement here except for the nursing field and its so boring. Basically, Im just ready want to do something different. I need tips on child care, housing, jobs, etc. I need a 3 bedroom affordable apartment maybe a 2 bedroom for now. I have a lot of experience in customer service and security jobs. I wont be alone; I have immediate family in areas of Dallas &Grand Prarie; also a friend who moved there a year ago in Arlington. My childrens' father is great so taking care of them financially is not a big issue. What places are good for me starting off? Any suggestions, advice, tips for me? ...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM

207 posts, read 504,934 times
U don't necessarily need a degree to be a police officer although I am an advocate for finishing school. U typically need 60 hours. If thats what u really want to do, I would start applying at a bunch of departments and a get a job first, before relocating.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Mom View Post
U don't necessarily need a degree to be a police officer although I am an advocate for finishing school. U typically need 60 hours. If thats what u really want to do, I would start applying at a bunch of departments and a get a job first, before relocating.

thanks, but im getting my bachelors degree because my plans are to go to the F.B.I.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM

469 posts, read 883,888 times
Stay with family here before you actually move. It's not that easy to just up and move to start a new life with no grounding already.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Stay with family here before you actually move. It's not that easy to just up and move to start a new life with no grounding already.
that's good advice too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvs4 View Post
thanks, but im getting my bachelors degree because my plans are to go to the F.B.I.
u r smart! doesn't the FBI require some kind of experience or can u get in with just a bachelor's degree?

Old 06-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post

YES I WOULD but there is this problem: they are my immediate family on my dads side but only see each other on occasion such as graduations, holidays, funerals/weddings etc. although they would be very willing to help me out and give me tips, show me the ropes, I cant just stay with them with my children, i think.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Mom View Post
that's good advice too!

u r smart! doesn't the FBI require some kind of experience or can u get in with just a bachelor's degree?

yes, you have to have 3 years work experience and a bachelors degree.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,634,508 times
is the babies' daddy coming, too?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM

28 posts, read 111,911 times
I support anyone who strive to do better. I just graduated with a B.A. in Criminal Justice also and I have 15 years of correctional experience. I'm really trying my best to move to Dallas by the end the this month. However, I can't get a call back from any job even as DETENTION OFFICER and with my experience I figure that wouldn't be any problem but boy was I wrong!!!! (there are severallllll openingssss). I also put down a Dallas address and I got a Dallas phone number. I'm not trying to discourage you I just want you to know you have to try realllllly hard to get a job in Dallas. But there must be way to survive in the Big D. My advice is to land a job first too like everyone has been posting on all the post about relocating. But don't give up!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howru View Post
I support anyone who strive to do better. I just graduated with a B.A. in Criminal Justice also and I have 15 years of correctional experience. I'm really trying my best to move to Dallas by the end the this month. However, I can't get a call back from any job even as DETENTION OFFICER and with my experience I figure that wouldn't be any problem but boy was I wrong!!!! (there are severallllll openingssss). I also put down a Dallas address and I got a Dallas phone number. I'm not trying to discourage you I just want you to know you have to try realllllly hard to get a job in Dallas. But there must be way to survive in the Big D. My advice is to land a job first too like everyone has been posting on all the post about relocating. But don't give up!!!
have u applied with dallas county sheriff's department? irving pd has a test coming up on june 11th, but it might be too late to register. i would check it out. law enforcement careers don't happen over night. they can take up to 9 months to get through the hiring process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas