Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,253,145 times

Advertisements

It's a couple years old, but the North Dallas/Richardson area was named as one of the top ten Jewish neighborhoods in the United States.
Lisa Alcalay Klug » Top Ten Jewish Neighborhoods (http://www.lisaklug.com/?page_id=3 - broken link). It's not uncommon to see Kosher signs on the grocery stores and the Jewish Community Center is pretty big in the North Dallas area. Also, driving along in that area, you'll see quite a few synagogues.

I don't know how Houston would rank, but it is certainly closer to the ocean. In reality though, you'd still have to travel 45 minutes - 1 hour down to Galveston in order to go to the beach. It isn't a pretty beach like Florida by any stretch. But it is a beach nonetheless. Dallas has a city park, White Rock Lake, that has great jogging trails and it does have a lot of lakes.

A friend of mine's Grandfather was the Rabbi at Temple Emmanu-El for 50 years. It's supposed to be the largest Temple west of the Mississippi (or at least it was at one time) and was founded in 1875, which is ancient for Dallas. http://www.tedallas.org/

Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas www.jfgd.org www.jewishdallas.org
Jewish Family Service: www.jfsdallas.org
Dallas Virtual Jewish Community www.dvjc.org www.dallaskosher.org

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 06-15-2011 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,093,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
It's a couple years old, but the North Dallas/Richardson area was named as one of the top ten jewish neighborhoods in the United States.
Lisa Alcalay Klug » Top Ten Jewish Neighborhoods (http://www.lisaklug.com/?page_id=3 - broken link)

I don't know how Houston would rank, but it is certainly closer to the ocean. In reality though, you'd still have to travel 45 minutes - 1 hour down to Galveston in order to go to the beach. It isn't a pretty beach like Florida by any stretch. But it is a beach nonetheless.

A friend at my firm's Grandfather was the Rabbi at Temple Emmanu-el for 50 years. It's supposed to be the largest Temple west of the Mississippi (or at least it was at one time) and was founded in 1875, which is ancient for Dallas. HISTORY
Emanu-El is a wonderful temple but it's Reform so I don't think the OP would be comfortable there.

That top Jewish neighborhoods link is correct that there are many young Orthodox families around the Coit & Campbell area though they tend to live on the Dallas side rather than the Richardson side since the eruv is in Dallas proper. I think a lot of them are families who were priced out of the older eruv further south around Melshire Estates. I see Orthodox women at the Coit & Campbell Super Target all the time, and the Tom Thumb there has a fairly large Kosher selection though IMHO it's not as good as the Preston & Forest Tom Thumb.

When I still ate meat I used to loooooove the shawarmas at Natalie's Kitchen at Hillcrest & Campbell. They have a decent-sized Israeli market there and the cafe is all kosher. There's quite an interesting crowd there on late Sunday afternoon/early Sunday evening. Obviously, it's closed on Saturdays. There's also a kosher cafe on Coit near Belt Line called Milk & Honey though it's not as big as Natalie's and IMHO nowhere near as good.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:16 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,253,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Emanu-El is a wonderful temple but it's Reform so I don't think the OP would be comfortable there.
I should have been more clear. Since Emanu-El is so old and so large, I simply meant that the OP should find that the Jewish population is an important part of the Dallas community and has been so for years.

I'm not Jewish, so I don't mean to step on any toes. Sometimes perspective from outside the group can help!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,871,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
North Dallas, Richardson, and Plano have huge Jewish communities. Its very common to see places of worship, schools, kosher food stores, etc. in those neighborhoods.

As for which is better, Dallas or Houston, I dont know what kind of difference there is:

Jewish population in the Dallas area: 57,800
Jewish population in the Houston area: 48,400

Its pretty similar I would guess.
Yeah, except DFW is bigger than Houston, so Houston would have a higher percentage. OP, you should probably post this same thread in the Houston section if you want to get more information about the Jewish community in Houston. I know Meyerland (close in neighborhood in Houston near the Galleria area) and areas Southwest have the largest Jewish population in the Houston area.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,600,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yeah, except DFW is bigger than Houston, so Houston would have a higher percentage.
Nope:

DFW percentage: .91%
Houston percentage: .80%

Either way, the presence in both is tiny compared to most other areas in the country.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 12,457 times
I have lived in Jewish neighborhoods in both Houston and Dallas, although we are not Jewish. We do patronize businesses and community establishments from time to time that cater to the Jewish population but I can't help with finding the right fit for your family religiously speaking. But I can say that I think you could find suitable communities in either city. There are many differences between Houston and Dallas though. Have you considered any of the other needs you have besides religion that might make the choice easier?

I am a huge fan of Houston and I loved it while I lived there (12 years). The people are so genuine and friendly. But after having spent the last two years in Dallas I'm not sure I would be willing to go back. I feel our overall quality of living in Dallas is better. In addition we love our new neighborhood and I seriously doubt that we could find a neighborhood in Houston that we like as much as where we are now for the same amount of money we spent.

I do miss Beldens in Meyerland for grocery shopping, but we are really looking forward to the Natural Playground that is being installed at the Jewish Community Center in Dallas. We only have one son right now but hope to have another child in the next year. I can see the Natural Playground becoming a huge part of our children's future.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 PM

662 posts, read 1,444,598 times
The eruv in Far North Dallas/Richardson caters to black hat synagogues associated with Chabad and other ultra-orthodox. I don't think there is a modern orthodox synagogue near that eruv. The Conservative shul--Beth Torah does not have an eruv. I don't know if that is a problem for the OP. Plano has a conservative synagogue which has just completed a beautiful new addition, and there is a newer traditional synagogue in Plano as well with the true mensch Rabbi Yitzah Cohen. The housing around that synagogue would be much less expensive, but you wouldn't have the feeling of community that you would in an eruv.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 AM

954 posts, read 1,541,894 times
Quote:
I don't know how Houston would rank, but it is certainly closer to the ocean. In reality though, you'd still have to travel 45 minutes - 1 hour down to Galveston in order to go to the beach. It isn't a pretty beach like Florida by any stretch. But it is a beach nonetheless.
That's a bit misleading and here's why. Back in the day when I lived in Houston, we had a home in an area called "Clear Lake" which was actually in Houston proper, yet we were only minutes (maybe 4-5 miles), from Galveston Bay which opens right into the Gulf of Mexico. I think the Clear Lake area ranked among the top half dozen locations in the whole nation for boat slips, which were used for sail boats down there. So from the slip, one could go into Galveston Bay and then directly into the Gulf of Mexico, and from there then the whole world.
Houston should really promote this because it's truly a coastal city which many don't realize but for whatever reason that city, unlike Dallas by comparison, is very ineffective in self-promotion ?
BTW speaking of Dallas and Jewish communities isn't Mark Cuban, the guy who owns the Mavericks, a Jew ?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 AM

17 posts, read 128,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If you're less orthodox and more conservative you might want to check out Congregation Beth Torah in Richardson, where you can easily find housing to fit your budget. It's a Conservative congregation; I have no experience with it but I hear it's fairly conservative...more so than Shearith Israel, which is probably the most popular Conservative congregation in Dallas. (The most popular reform is Emanu-El.)

Beth Torah is located in the Canyon Creek neighborhood in Richardson where you can easily find a lovely home in the sub-$300k price range but there is also the Waterview neighborhood, The Reservation, Heights Park, etc. Your budget gives you lots of options in 75080, and the schools are terrific.
When you say fairly conservative, what do you mean? I've grown up going to a Young Israel for most of my life, one that was open and had people that went there that were on the more right end of orthodox and people who were more on the conservative end. In all honesty, I'm not sure I would be comfortable going to a shul with mixed seating or a Rabbi who used a microphone or services that were not traditional. Does Beth Torah fit into the more liberal category of conservative like that or more traditional conservative where the traditional services are given and things like that? I know there are conservative shuls that are old world conservative. If it was the right fit, I would be able to adjust to certain things like the mixed seating, but the congregation would really have to fit what we're looking for in order to compromise on things that I'm not used to. You know what I mean?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:27 AM

17 posts, read 128,824 times
Quote:
It's a couple years old, but the North Dallas/Richardson area was named as one of the top ten Jewish neighborhoods in the United States.
Lisa Alcalay Klug » Top Ten Jewish Neighborhoods (http://www.lisaklug.com/?page_id=3 - broken link). It's not uncommon to see Kosher signs on the grocery stores and the Jewish Community Center is pretty big in the North Dallas area. Also, driving along in that area, you'll see quite a few synagogues.

I don't know how Houston would rank, but it is certainly closer to the ocean. In reality though, you'd still have to travel 45 minutes - 1 hour down to Galveston in order to go to the beach. It isn't a pretty beach like Florida by any stretch. But it is a beach nonetheless. Dallas has a city park, White Rock Lake, that has great jogging trails and it does have a lot of lakes.

A friend of mine's Grandfather was the Rabbi at Temple Emmanu-El for 50 years. It's supposed to be the largest Temple west of the Mississippi (or at least it was at one time) and was founded in 1875, which is ancient for Dallas. Temple Emanu-El Welcomes You!

Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas www.jfgd.org www.jewishdallas.org
Jewish Family Service: www.jfsdallas.org
Dallas Virtual Jewish Community www.dvjc.org www.dallaskosher.org
Thanks for the great links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: