Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 AM

17 posts, read 128,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yeah, that one guy ruined your entire thread with a bunch of nonsense. He did change up and respond though.

Actually, Houston's crime rate is the lowest it has been in a decades. It's the lowest crime rate many generations have seen actually. And the Fondren area is only really bad around the apartments. The single family homes aren't (getting closer to Sharpstown), especially around the Catholic high schools (Strake and St. Agnes). I was just in Houston last weekend, and the city has been fixing up these areas. A lot of new landscaping, repaved roads with asphalt, increased police presence, etc.

Can't really go wrong with either city. Both have their pluses and minuses.
Yeah, the moderator closed the Houston thread I posted, and I got no helpful information. That's really put an extra points in the Dallas direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM

662 posts, read 1,442,137 times
Default Much less expensive in far north Dallas eruv

To the OP: Shaare Tefillah isn't in the eruv of North Dallas. Houses in ND will be over 500k. The Far North Dallas/Richardson eruv has a Chabad shul, Ohev Shalom, a shul "which welcomes people of all backgrounds" and Toras Chaim a popular shul (synagogue) for young families and mature adults in Far North Dallas eruv area. The houses here will be in the 200-500k range depending on the home. You might even find some smaller houses for less. The public schools are excellent in this part of Richardson/Dallas. The nearest elementary is about 30% Jewish--very unusual for Texas. There are also two private Jewish schools within walking distance--Levine Academy, a Solomon Shecter school, and Torah Day School, an ultraorthodox school.

I lived in a neighborhood with a large Jewish presence in Plano, a suburb just to the north of Richardson. Most of us were Reform or Conservative, but we were within walking distance of the Chabad shul and I had several South African friends who were semi-Orthodox who went there. By semi, I mean they wore pants and didn't cover their hair; their kids went to public schools; they kept kosher at home but ate fish or veggies at non-kosher restaurants and at friends' houses. In Plano, you can get even more house than in Far North Dallas for the money.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:40 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,248,479 times
Those numbers seem about right. I heard that metro Denver has nearly 80,000 jews in it. Whats up with that? Denver is a metro area less than half the size of either Dallas or Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
North Dallas, Richardson, and Plano have huge Jewish communities. Its very common to see places of worship, schools, kosher food stores, etc. in those neighborhoods.

As for which is better, Dallas or Houston, I dont know what kind of difference there is:

Jewish population in the Dallas area: 57,800
Jewish population in the Houston area: 48,400

Its pretty similar I would guess.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,139,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Those numbers seem about right. I heard that metro Denver has nearly 80,000 jews in it. Whats up with that? Denver is a metro area less than half the size of either Dallas or Houston.
Yep, that's about right.

2007 Jewish Community Study Points to Growth, Diversity, Emerging Needs

My guess is that, with the exception of Miami, Southern cities might historically have had trouble attracting large numbers of Jewish people. Though even Atlanta has a much larger Jewish community than Dallas.

Highlights of Jewish Community Centennial Study 2006

When I moved here, I knew the Jewish community wasn't as large as, say, LA or Miami, but I was a little surprised at how relatively small it is -- and it's tough to find a good deli or, more importantly, good Jewish bakeries.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM

17 posts, read 128,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
To the OP: Shaare Tefillah isn't in the eruv of North Dallas. Houses in ND will be over 500k. The Far North Dallas/Richardson eruv has a Chabad shul, Ohev Shalom, a shul "which welcomes people of all backgrounds" and Toras Chaim a popular shul (synagogue) for young families and mature adults in Far North Dallas eruv area. The houses here will be in the 200-500k range depending on the home. You might even find some smaller houses for less. The public schools are excellent in this part of Richardson/Dallas. The nearest elementary is about 30% Jewish--very unusual for Texas. There are also two private Jewish schools within walking distance--Levine Academy, a Solomon Shecter school, and Torah Day School, an ultraorthodox school.

I lived in a neighborhood with a large Jewish presence in Plano, a suburb just to the north of Richardson. Most of us were Reform or Conservative, but we were within walking distance of the Chabad shul and I had several South African friends who were semi-Orthodox who went there. By semi, I mean they wore pants and didn't cover their hair; their kids went to public schools; they kept kosher at home but ate fish or veggies at non-kosher restaurants and at friends' houses. In Plano, you can get even more house than in Far North Dallas for the money.
So which Eruv is Shaare Tefilla in then?

Old 06-25-2011, 03:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,025,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliextrm View Post
So which Eruv is Shaare Tefilla in then?
It's in the north Dallas eruv. Nonexpat is not correct in stating that it's not in the eruv. He/she may be thinking of the far north Dallas eruv, which runs along the Coit corridor near J.J. Pearce north of LBJ.

http://www.shaaretefilla.org/PDF/Dallas_Eruv.pdf

Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 AM

14 posts, read 13,882 times
Okay well I might as well just plunge in. My family and I will be returning to the states from Israel after living here for some time. We are considering Dallas as a possible return site, I am originally from North Texas and havent lived in the area since we became observant. We are Modern Orthodox and blue collar. We would prefer small town living but know thats pretty much unheard of as far as any type of small town Shuls these days. Anyway any update on the more affordable Jewish sections of Dallas or greater dallas area..or if there is that one small town with a orthodox shul or community let me know! We will be homeschooling our children so thats not a part of the equation. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,542,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Dallas and Houston are two of the only metro areas in the US (another notable one being Detroit) where Muslims far outnumber Jews. I read something recently that put the Muslim populations of both almost at 200,000. Places like Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Miami, etc. have more Jews but less Muslims. I don't think there is a correlation, just a statistical observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Yep, that's about right.

2007 Jewish Community Study Points to Growth, Diversity, Emerging Needs

My guess is that, with the exception of Miami, Southern cities might historically have had trouble attracting large numbers of Jewish people. Though even Atlanta has a much larger Jewish community than Dallas.

Highlights of Jewish Community Centennial Study 2006

When I moved here, I knew the Jewish community wasn't as large as, say, LA or Miami, but I was a little surprised at how relatively small it is -- and it's tough to find a good deli or, more importantly, good Jewish bakeries.
Have you tried Deli News? Love that place! Its far better than Cindi's in my opinion. There corned beef is the best in the state to me.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 AM

954 posts, read 1,539,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseIT View Post
Okay well I might as well just plunge in. My family and I will be returning to the states from Israel after living here for some time. We are considering Dallas as a possible return site, I am originally from North Texas and havent lived in the area since we became observant. We are Modern Orthodox and blue collar. We would prefer small town living but know thats pretty much unheard of as far as any type of small town Shuls these days. Anyway any update on the more affordable Jewish sections of Dallas or greater dallas area..or if there is that one small town with a orthodox shul or community let me know! We will be homeschooling our children so thats not a part of the equation. Thanks!
Jewish and Blue Collar ?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM

616 posts, read 1,030,828 times
Quick question, hopefully not too off-topic - I looked at the lengthy Wikipedia article and dallaseruv.org but couldn't figure it out... Is the north Dallas eruv actually a physical structure of some kind? Or is it more like a border on a map? Just curious. Shalom, y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: