Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Depends, if you move every 12-18 months you can get introductory rates. I'm paying $600/mo and I'm very satisfied with my area (north Addison).
North Addision ain't Dallas skipper. So basically you live in Carrollton?

Its just funny I've never heard Addison referred to like that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
North Addision ain't Dallas skipper. So basically you live in Carrollton?

Its just funny I've never heard Addison referred to like that before.
I do live in DALLAS. I say "north Addison" because if I said Dallas, its much more vague. North Addison is tiny. Much more accurate representation of where I live.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:24 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
$20,000 for a family of four is considered poor here no matter which way you look at it. Rent on a 2 bedroom apt will take up just about all of your salary. I am hoping the husband plans on looking for work sometime soon because it's gonna take two incomes to make it in the longterm. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I do live in DALLAS. I say "north Addison" because if I said Dallas, its much more vague. North Addison is tiny. Much more accurate representation of where I live.
I see you live in my old stomping grounds. My old place was in North Dallas off of Rosemeade Parkway. Lived there for 1 year.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,574 times
My definition of poverty is when one doesn't generate sufficient income to afford to (easily) pay for the necessities of life.

Considering what housing, groceries, and gas cost these days, not to mention the other essentials such as insurance, utilities, I'd say the figure to define poverty for a family of four is closer to 40K.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
My definition of poverty is when one doesn't generate sufficient income to afford to (easily) pay for the necessities of life.

Considering what housing, groceries, and gas cost these days, not to mention the other essentials such as insurance, utilities, I'd say the figure to define poverty for a family of four is closer to 40K.

I tend to agree. If you can't pay for the basics (food, shelter, clothing) on your own salary, then yes- you are poor. OP is poor because he/she isn't making enough to cover the cost of food on his/her income. Food stamps, Section 8 housing, etc- if you need them, you are- by the government's definition - poor. If you don't have $2,000 or so in a bank account to cover emergencies (like a trip to the ER or a cavity filling), then you are probably poor and most definitely not in financial good health.

It doesn't mean you're poor in spirit, and op it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and pride in yourself.

Will people consider you "poor" in Texas? It depends on where you live. If you pick a neighborhood where $20k is average income (and there are some neighborhoods in Dallas that fit that bill), then you'd be considered average. If you stretched to get into a nicer neighborhood, then yes, you'd be considered poor for that neighborhood.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,732 times
If you are requiring food stamps to exist, then YES, you are poor.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingme View Post
im a CNA and i make a good living and saving. But i just dont have enough to buy my own food so im on food stamps and my kids have half medicaid( they pay for what my blue cross doesnt). My oldest is in Head start here in michigan, and my youngest and Husband both stay home. I dont think we're POOR not even because my kids never want for anything and i break my back to get them everything they need. We may not be able to go and spend $150 in a restaurant or anything like that. But our bills are paid and our kids are healthy, so i wouldnt call myself POOR EVER! Im not trying to sound upset or nasty im just honestly asking everyones opinion on your definition of POOR?

I dont know if im going to qualify for medicaid and food stamps when we get down there but i know i do here because i make less than $20,000 a year with a family of 4. Like i said before im not sounding nasty im honestly just asking why i would be called poor down there?
I read your post on the relationship forum and you are dealing with a lot and you are definitely doing the best you can. My questions to you would be: why do you want to know what people consider poor? Or is the question you really want answered is would I qualify for govt. assistance as I do here in Michigan?
Also, why do you want to leave Michigan? It sounds like you are making it ok. Your husband would probably still continue to be lazy and you are still going to be working your butt off except just in a new environment.
I can read the stress and despair in your posts. I think your marriage is really adding to all this stress. But I definitely admire how you keep on trying and striving to have a better life for you and your children. Is your youngest still too young? Will she start kindergarten soon so that your husband doesn't have the excuse that he is watching her?

As far as will people consider you poor, why does it matter? YOU know that you are working hard and so long as you are a good example to your children, they will follow your lead and work also to get ahead. I wish I could give you some advice but I think your marital strife is something that you'll have to deal with and hopefully change for the better.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 PM

34 posts, read 87,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I tend to agree. If you can't pay for the basics (food, shelter, clothing) on your own salary, then yes- you are poor. OP is poor because he/she isn't making enough to cover the cost of food on his/her income. Food stamps, Section 8 housing, etc- if you need them, you are- by the government's definition - poor. If you don't have $2,000 or so in a bank account to cover emergencies (like a trip to the ER or a cavity filling), then you are probably poor and most definitely not in financial good health.

It doesn't mean you're poor in spirit, and op it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and pride in yourself.

Will people consider you "poor" in Texas? It depends on where you live. If you pick a neighborhood where $20k is average income (and there are some neighborhoods in Dallas that fit that bill), then you'd be considered average. If you stretched to get into a nicer neighborhood, then yes, you'd be considered poor for that neighborhood.
thank you i greatly appreciate you saying that. Im trying to do the best for me and my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I read your post on the relationship forum and you are dealing with a lot and you are definitely doing the best you can. My questions to you would be: why do you want to know what people consider poor? Or is the question you really want answered is would I qualify for govt. assistance as I do here in Michigan?
Also, why do you want to leave Michigan? It sounds like you are making it ok. Your husband would probably still continue to be lazy and you are still going to be working your butt off except just in a new environment.
I can read the stress and despair in your posts. I think your marriage is really adding to all this stress. But I definitely admire how you keep on trying and striving to have a better life for you and your children. Is your youngest still too young? Will she start kindergarten soon so that your husband doesn't have the excuse that he is watching her?

As far as will people consider you poor, why does it matter? YOU know that you are working hard and so long as you are a good example to your children, they will follow your lead and work also to get ahead. I wish I could give you some advice but I think your marital strife is something that you'll have to deal with and hopefully change for the better.
As you've already stated im doing the best for me and my kids, my husband has nothing to do with my moving because if he doesnt get his shhhh together and once we get down there get a job him and i will have some problems.
but i totally thank you for your vote in confidence and no i was asking why i would be considered poor because i didnt know i even qualified down there because i havent even looked nor do i know whom to talk too to find out any info.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Let me say that anyone who wants to do better will. I work with several people who relocated to Dallas due to Katrina. Every last one of them they say they are doing much better here than they did back home. Every last one of them say there is no way they are going to leave the DFW area. Goodluck to you and keep the faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas