Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Admittedly I don't know much about the man. I know he was CEO of Pizza Hut and I looked at his list of political contributions to try and determine the type of politicians he supports (Barack Obama, Harry Ried, Bill White, and Chet Edwards were all big recipents).

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
He means continued support for big ticket projects like Trinity Tollroad, Convention Center Hotel, etc, etc. This means that we will continue to need to raise money for projects like this, and not be able to fund things we don't fund now like street repair, mowing the parks, etc.

Two quotes of his that sum him up:
"We need to act as a company... excuse me a city."
"Ron (Natinsky) and I are in lockstep on the issues."
Basically he means a continuation of the status quo. He was the DCC's anointed successor to Leppert.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 AM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
According to this article, Mayoral Debate Sways One Voter, At Least | FrontBurner, he actually wasn't CEO of Pizza Hut.

I do hope that he lives up to some of his promises such as improving the schools and increased jobs.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
There is no CEO of Pizza Hut because it's not a stand-alone company. It's a division of Yum! Brands of Louisville, KY, along with Taco Bell, KFC, and Yum! International.

However, Mike Rawlings, was, indeed, the president of Pizza Hut for several years. In that role, he was the #1 person of Pizza Hut, reporting directly to the Yum! CEO (David Novak) and the Yum! board, and the person with whom the buck stopped in Dallas. This was one of the top 5 jobs with the #2 restaurant company in the world.

I'm not even a particular Mike Rawlings fan - this is just more DCC shadow government. But it's incorrect to minimize Rawlings' role at Pizza Hut - this was an extremely high-level position, with salary and stock options piling up to the millions of dollars.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
I do hope that he lives up to some of his promises such as improving the schools and increased jobs.
There is nothing the mayor can do about schools. Well nothing that any prominent citizen cannot do. The mayor and city govenment have no authority over the schools. Zip. It drives me crazy when mayoral candidates try to make DISD an election issue. It is perfect for them though because they can make vague promises about improving schools, then plead their lack of power as an excuse.

This isn't a Rawlings specific issue, they all do it, it just drives me nuts. It is like a mayor running for office telling you they are going to improve State parks.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Tom Leppert 2.0. Good luck Dallas. This guy only won because he had money (and there was a 9.7% voter turnout).

Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Tom Leppert 2.0. Good luck Dallas. This guy only won because he had money (and there was a 9.7% voter turnout).
The only silver lining for me is that he has a history of supporting liberal politicians which Leppert did not. That probably says something about his voting record. Hes also a Democrat.

However I do think he will be like Leppert in a sense. Hes more of a politician than someone who cares for Dallas. I am interested to see if he will keep his campaign promises about South Dallas.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
According to this article, Mayoral Debate Sways One Voter, At Least | FrontBurner, he actually wasn't CEO of Pizza Hut.

He was CEO of Pizza Hut. They just gave it a goofy name of "Chief Concept Officer."

Besides being a former CEO, I don't think he shares many attributes with Leppert. He is the very definition of a limousine liberal. I have faith he won't be Leppert 2.0 because he has shown a genuine interest in the city by being president of the park board and homeless czar. He has also lived here for 40+ years, unlike Leppert.

Being a former CEO must bring him some credibility with the national business community for relocation efforts. Pizza Hut is a household name -- so I would think that would get his foot in the door with a lot of businesspeople.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
It means that the First Lady of Dallas is a Woodrow Wilson Wildcat!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
He was CEO of Pizza Hut. They just gave it a goofy name of "Chief Concept Officer."

Besides being a former CEO, I don't think he shares many attributes with Leppert. He is the very definition of a limousine liberal. I have faith he won't be Leppert 2.0 because he has shown a genuine interest in the city by being president of the park board and homeless czar. He has also lived here for 40+ years, unlike Leppert.

Being a former CEO must bring him some credibility with the national business community for relocation efforts. Pizza Hut is a household name -- so I would think that would get his foot in the door with a lot of businesspeople.
Isnt being a limousine liberal a bad thing? The name implies hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: