U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,489 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been lurking in these forums for a few weeks now, I live in West Texas, and am pretty familiar with the DFW area. I am a 44 year old divorced female, empty nest, and am finally looking to escape to the city life I have always wanted.

I love the art and music scene and love all things mid century modern and vintage. I am a laid back type person and want a fun, relaxed lifestyle in an eclectic but safe neighborhood for a middle aged woman by herself. In reading these forums, I am thinking that the Lakewood/Junius Heights or the Bishop Arts District will be the perfect place to live and work. I am looking for a 1 bedroom/1 bath place to lease for around $700.00 a month.

I will be staying at a hotel in Dallas this weekend to check out some neighborhoods, doing a little bit of shopping, walking around, check out some art galleries etc. I would like to go somewhere fun to listen to music, have a few cocktails and hang out where I will not feel out of place being by myself and can feel relatively safe, to get a feel for the people and the culture. I have heard of a bar called The Grapevine....would I like this place or are there any other suggestions? What are some activities that I can do in the arts district area this weekend?

Also, I LOVE antique stores or antique malls to browse around, and I am specifically looking for mid century modern stores. Also, I would enjoy just driving around the neighborhoods to get a feel for the area.

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can give to me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM

12,396 posts, read 23,793,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul67 View Post
I love the art and music scene and love all things mid century modern and vintage. I am a laid back type person and want a fun, relaxed lifestyle in an eclectic but safe neighborhood for a middle aged woman by herself. In reading these forums, I am thinking that the Lakewood/Junius Heights or the Bishop Arts District will be the perfect place to live and work. I am looking for a 1 bedroom/1 bath place to lease for around $700.00 a month.
Sounds like you are definitely focused on the right neighborhoods! Check out Good Space in Bishop Arts & Power Properties in East Dallas for small management companies with well priced rentals in historic buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul67 View Post
I will be staying at a hotel in Dallas this weekend to check out some neighborhoods, doing a little bit of shopping, walking around, check out some art galleries etc. I would like to go somewhere fun to listen to music, have a few cocktails and hang out where I will not feel out of place being by myself and can feel relatively safe, to get a feel for the people and the culture. I have heard of a bar called The Grapevine....would I like this place or are there any other suggestions? What are some activities that I can do in the arts district area this weekend?

Also, I LOVE antique stores or antique malls to browse around, and I am specifically looking for mid century modern stores. Also, I would enjoy just driving around the neighborhoods to get a feel for the area.
I would definitely recommend you check out the Bishop Arts District in Nort Oak Cliff. Also, you may enjoy checking out Jefferson Blvd- lots of Hispanic stores like quincenara dress stores that make up part of the flavor of the North Oak Cliff neighborhood. Have lunch at Bolsa or cocktails at the Belmont Hotel. The Belmont's pool is open on Sundays for non-hotel guests and is a good laid-back scene.

For Lakewood / East Dallas, check out Lakewood Village shopping center at Gaston & Abrams. The Balcony Bar is a great place for live music. Scalini's, Matt's and the **** & Bull are all great neighborhood restaurants. Times Ten Cellars is a good winery & wine bar that is in the area too. These all have a variety of patrons- 20's to 50's. Mostly 30's & 40's. You won't feel out of place!

For shopping, Antiques Moderne is on Industrial (Riverfront) Blvd in the design district and has FABULOUS vintage furniture finds, from 1940's-1980's. Good selection of MCM. Century Modern is on Main Street in Deep Ellum and although their selection is hit or miss, when it's great it's amazing. Lula B's is an antiques mall with locations on Lower Greenville in East Dallas and also on Riverfront in the design district. There are some smaller stores on Henderson Avenue in East Dallas that focus on MCM, like Sputnik. Again & Again Consignment on Henderson carries a lot of "retro glam" furniture but also MCM.

There are some darling streets east of White Rock Lake lined with MCM homes - find the streets around Lake Gardens Way. Also, the "Disney Streets" in north Dallas (Midway & Royal intresection) have fabulous MCM ranches. And there are some amazing MCM homes in Kessler Park (try Kessler Parkway and remember to look up into the hills *& trees!) to check out too.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Thank you so much Turtle Creek, this is just the type of suggestions that I needed! I am hoping to be ready to move by early fall. I have a lot of friends that live in Ft. Worth and in some of the Northern suburbs, but I am wanting a different type of lifestyle, your suggestions are great!

Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,856,483 times
If you look hard enough you can find some decent apts. for $800 around uptown. Well worth the little extra to be near everything.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM

3,464 posts, read 5,577,509 times
You are definitely looking in the right areas, but you are going to have a hard time finding something in that price range in a safe area, even a 1 bed. If you can up your budget to $800 or $850, you may find more. Check out Power Properties--they may have something in your range.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:30 PM

13,402 posts, read 22,410,591 times
Youre on the right track with those areas if thats what you want in a living enviroment. Good luck to you!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM

16,092 posts, read 37,742,515 times
Times Ten Cellars, Balcony Club and C-ck and Bull would be great places to go -- just strike up a conversation, it's very friendly around here--

Other suggestions - go to Legal Grounds Coffee on Abrams Parkway, Gold Rush Diner on Skillman or Garden Cafe on Junius in Junius Heights. Also just talk to people in the shops...

My friend Joe Joes owns Century Modern in Deep Ellum - just tell him I sent you. He should know who I am when you say that I went to kindergarten with him!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,649,883 times
Not sure about the Grapevine. I used to live across the street for the owners...loonng ago. It had a druggie reputation - if that's your thing. I haven't been there in an equally long time.

Windmill Lounge, Lee Harvey's (Le Cure is playing on Sat night), Double Wide are bars you might like to check out. Laidback w/o the Uptown douchery.

You also might like the food and scene at All Good Cafe, Murray St Coffee, Good 2 Go Taco (with Cultivar Coffee inside).

I don't think anyone has mentioned Dolly Python yet (less-none MCM, but still fun to poke around in). On Saturday, psychic readings at 2pm for the afternoon.

Check out music listings on Local Events & News | Dallas/Fort Worth | www.pegasusnews.com.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,649,883 times
Just saw a FB flyer for Dolly Python - they are having an art installation party with Sour Grapes 11am-2pm with a keg!!...but it will surely go on into the evening. This is probably where you want to be.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions, and no drugs are NOT my thing! LOL! I do enjoy wine and cocktails, but drugs no!

Thanks for all the great ideas, I am excited to explore the area this weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or