U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 PM

77 posts, read 122,310 times

Advertisements

Hi, all... I am considering a relocation to Dallas in the near future, so I wanted to start this thread (I am bookmarking it for easy reference) so that I may pose any questions that come into my mind from time to time, so that I can be as educated as possible on things before I make my move. First, allow me to begin by describing my basic situation...

At the moment, I am unfortunate enough to be living in Los Angeles County, California, where the cost of living is obscene, the jobs nonexistent for a U.S. Citizen, the traffic a horrid nightmare, the people fake, and the air colored Mars red, and rain an unknown phenomenon. I have been out of work here for over two years, and I have exhausted my unemployment. I am at my wit's end... I am a U.S. Citizen, born and raised, I speak PERFECT English, I am a high school graduate, I am extremely computer proficient, and I have over SIX years of supermarket and customer experience, yet NONE of the supermarkets in this wretched wasteland of a state will hire me, no matter how much I apply. I kid you not... I have applied to both McDonalds and Carl's Jr. and both of those places wouldn't even hire me!

So I have had it... I am sick and tired of being screwed over by this fake and useless hippie state, and having jobs I am MORE than qualified for going to illegal aliens who can't even speak the language of this country, and am sick of paying 10% sales tax. I have had it, and I am out... I hope this toilet of a state quakes and burns itself into oblivion... the USA will be better without California. So with that rant, I have heard that Texas is a "right-to-work" state...

I would like to know firstly, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean that U.S. Citizens get priority when applying for jobs? I want to know exactly what that term means, so if someone could explain it, I'd appreciate it.

Also, as indicated in my rant above, I have a lot of supermarket experience, as well as customer service experience... what is the job market like for the grocery stores in the Dallas area? My first choices for work would be in the grocery stores, or as a retail cashier, or in the security field. I would also very much like to be trained to work as an Apartment Manager, so if anyone can tell me what the markets are like for those fields, again, I'd appreciate it.

Speaking of apartments... I would like to know what a "decent" apartment would cost me with the following criteria:

- 1 bedroom
- on-site laundry
- air conditioning

Is it at all realistic to find something like that for less than $600 a month rent? If not, please tell me what is realistic, and what I can expect to pay.

Also, I really love rainy weather... I would like to know just how much it rains out of the year in the Dallas area, if possible. I have considered Oregon, but Oregon is not a right-to-work state, and it's also a bit too liberal for my tastes. So if someone could clue me in on the rain stats pertaining to Dallas, that'd be cool.

I have more questions, but these will be good to start for now. PLEASE... do not try to suggest I should stay in CA... I have NO desire to... in two years, nobody, McDonalds included, would hire me, so this whole damn waste of American real estate can kiss me arse, and when I leave, I'll be flippin' the whole state the bird from the plane's window. I have made up my mind that Dallas is my first choice, so I would just like answers to my questions, please. Again, I apologize for my rant, but you can understand how frustrated I am... I want out. Thank you kindly, for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 PM

8,563 posts, read 10,498,185 times
Quote:
Right-to-work laws are statutes enforced in twenty-two U.S. states, mostly in the southern or western U.S., allowed under provisions of the Taft-Hartley Act, which prohibit agreements between labor unions and employers that make membership or payment of union dues or fees a condition of employment, either before or after hiring, thus requiring the workplace to be an open shop.
Sometimes it rains a lot, sometimes it doesn't. Summers tend to be dry but... and hot. Don't make plans that require rain unless it's raining. Sometimes when it rains... it pours. Sometimes it just sprinkles then clears up. It's not L.A. dry but it's not Seattle wet.

You should be able to find an apartment in your price range though it's not likely to be in the really cool area. Though if you find a lady who'll split that cost with you then you can move on up. You'll probably be more interested in the area of Dallas that is >north< of I-30. Much of Dallas >south< of I-30, until you get far enough south isn't necessarily desirable. Though that is open to one's own judgement. Most decent apartments will have on site laundry.

Air conditioning is fairly standard and built in unless it's an old place with a window unit. You will pay for the electricity to run that AC unit so when you find that apartment take into consideration your exposure to the sun. Downstairs on an east or north side won't require as much AC but may require more AC in the winter for heat. That is, most AC in modern apartments is HVAC... a single unit for heat and AC, all electric.

Good luck

Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 PM

^

Oh, awesome! Thanks for that reply! I am so glad to hear that an employer cannot force you to join a union in TX... when I worked for the supermarkets here in CA, we had to join the union, or be fired, so I am SO happy to hear that's what right-to-work means!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM

24,567 posts, read 36,947,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam McCord View Post
^

Oh, awesome! Thanks for that reply! I am so glad to hear that an employer cannot force you to join a union in TX... when I worked for the supermarkets here in CA, we had to join the union, or be fired, so I am SO happy to hear that's what right-to-work means!
If you're looking to get away from illegals though you will be disappointed. They're like a plague in DFW; they are everywhere.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:23 AM

687 posts, read 1,475,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam McCord View Post
At the moment, I am unfortunate enough to be living in Los Angeles County, California, where the cost of living is obscene, the jobs nonexistent for a U.S. Citizen, the traffic a horrid nightmare, the people fake, and the air colored Mars red, and rain an unknown phenomenon. I have been out of work here for over two years, and I have exhausted my unemployment. I am at my wit's end... I am a U.S. Citizen, born and raised, I speak PERFECT English, I am a high school graduate, I am extremely computer proficient, and I have over SIX years of supermarket and customer experience, yet NONE of the supermarkets in this wretched wasteland of a state will hire me, no matter how much I apply. I kid you not... I have applied to both McDonalds and Carl's Jr. and both of those places wouldn't even hire me!

So I have had it... I am sick and tired of being screwed over by this fake and useless hippie state, and having jobs I am MORE than qualified for going to illegal aliens who can't even speak the language of this country, and am sick of paying 10% sales tax. I have had it, and I am out... I hope this toilet of a state quakes and burns itself into oblivion... the USA will be better without California.
Based upon your complaints above, I really have my doubts that you would be happy here. I think maybe someplace like Montana or North Dakota would be more to your liking. Good luck to you, but I serously doubt Dallas will meet your expectations based upon your gripes listed.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 21,330,058 times
You can find an apartment for $600 a month.
Dallas is a minority city and we have a very, very large Hispanic population with Spanish (Mexican, South American) as first language. I have no idea how large the undocumented population is but believe it is very large.
It really rains a lot in the Spring. Summers are long and pretty dry.
You would hate it here.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,300,733 times
I don't know why this myth of Texas as a uni-cultural haven for xenophobes persists -- ?? (Maybe the governor, who knows??) Texas, and its larger cities especially, is very diverse and multi-cultural. You won't escape that here.

Traffic in Dallas is only marginally better than LA. Which do you prefer -- horrendous or merely terrible?

Taxes are high too -- sales tax exceeds 8 percent, property taxes are ridiculous. True, we don't have an income tax -- but still!

You mentioned you don't have a college degree. That could be a problem. I'm no expert in the supermarket industry, but I do know that the job market is veeerrrry competitive here. Don't let the headlines about the "robust Texas economy" fool you. Unemployment is lower but not that much lower -- and good jobs are hard to come by here.

Oh, here's a tidbit of info about our demographics:

Census: Whites make up minority of babies in U.S. - USATODAY.com

Last edited by Brookside; 06-23-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Well, for one thing... I don't like being called a xenophobe or it being implied that I am a racist... I have no problem with Hispanics or any ethnic group... but what bothers me is that fact that people are always saying "Oh, the illegals do the jobs Americans won't do", when here I am in this economy, ready and willing to work at places like McDonalds, and they do not hire me, and I am a proud U.S. Citizen, born and raised, with a high school diploma. Is it because I am white, and speak English? My point is, I AM an American willing to do that job, and they would rather hire someone else to do it... that is what I resent. But do not imply or assert that I dislike a given ethnic group, because that's not the case.

And yes, I know the Hispanic and illegal population is huge all over the southwest... but Texas IS a more conservative state than California, as that right-to-work policy indicates... at least if I work for Albertsons in TX, I can keep a lot more of my weekly paycheck than I could in CA, where it's the law that the Moderator cut: not allowed unions can take part of it, or else I'll be fired. That's all the more money that can go towards gas in my car, or my month's rent or my food budget. Sure, not that much more, but every little bit helps.

As for Montana and North Dakota... for one, they're both too rural for my tastes... I would at least like to be close to a big city like Dallas, and two, if I wanted to go that far north, I'd go to NYC. I know things are not always better elsewhere, but California IS the place in the worst condition now, and I'm not about to waste another two years in this craphole hoping things will get better... every day that I am not employed is a day that I cannot further my life, and I won't let that happen.

I long for the days of 8% sales tax... much better than the 10% we have to pay here!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-23-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM

11,990 posts, read 19,573,350 times
I didn't get anything from the OP that makes me think he wouldn't like Texas.

I made the move from southern California myself, and love it here, but we came with college degrees so are in a different job market. I do have 4 friends working in the grocery industry though. They all happen to be white with high school diplomas.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,092,647 times
I don't believe Albertson's here hires full time employess, only part time. They don't want to pay benefits. It was in the news when they got rid of their full time employees or reduced them to part-time workers to save money. Did that happen in California, too?

I also thought the Kroger employees were union here - which is rare.

If you work at Wal-Mart, you won't get full time hours either. Not sure about Tom Thumb (Randall's). I only know part-time workers there.

Our fast food places are mostly staffed with bilingual employees. Not all, but mostly.

We don't get a lot of rain, but more than Southern California. It gets wicked hot. I don't think apartments without air conditioning even exist. You have to have at least a window unit or else you just won't make it. The city has "cooling stations" where you can hang out if you don't have air conditioning. It's just not safe staying in an un-air conditioned place. Don't bring a car without air conditioning either.

Texas is conservative, but the major cities are not.

"Right to work" means you can quit or your boss can fire you without cause or reason. If you are unhappy with your job, you find a new one.

Texas is a border state just like California. We have plenty of illegals, but it's hard to tell who is legal and who isn't. It's not like they are colored green or anything. We have legal citizens who don't know a word of English. I personally know several such people. They became legal under Ronald Reagan's amnesty program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: