Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,895,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
lakewood, is sherbet and candy canes flowing down the creeks....and everyday is sunshine and rainbows, while everyone holds hands and sings "kumbaya". It truly is paradise!
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,188,484 times
According to City Data detailed profile for 75214:

Private vs. public school enrollment:
Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school): 757

27.5%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 236

18.5%

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/zips/75214.html#ixzz1QV1UP6qX

Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 PM

307 posts, read 477,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
According to City Data detailed profile for 75214:

Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school): 757

27.5%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 236

18.5%

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/zips/75214.html#ixzz1QV1UP6qX
As you well know, 75214 encompasses a fair bit more than just Lakewood.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,060,170 times
SchoolSearchMom - have you checked into the Park Cities area and their schools? I grew up there, and then moved to Lakewood in my mid-teens. I actually attended Highland Park High School (in the park cities), Woodrow Wilson High School (in Lakewood) and Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts A.K.A. "Arts Magnet" (which is located downtown, but is an opportunity for all qualified students who audition and make it in). Arts and HP were wonderful schools. They both regularly make the the list of America's best high schools (US World Report lists). I didn't like the Lakewood schools for myself or my children. My younger siblings stuck it out with Lakewood schools, but then they joined the military. A lot of those kids seem to do that, or they go to community college or state school. It just seems like Lakewood, or DISD rather, doesn't really have the resources to truly prepare kids for life after high school. And some schools are downright scary. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-11-2011 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: unneccesary racial profiling

Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,638,750 times
[quote=haggardhouseelf;19785713]. My younger siblings stuck it out with Lakewood schools, but then they joined the military. A lot of those kids seem to do that, or they go to community college or state school. It just seems like Lakewood, or DISD rather, doesn't really have the resources to truly prepare kids for life after high school. And some schools are downright scary. Moderator cut: see comment

Do you have recent experience with Woodrow? I am sure some kids to into the military, but with the new IB program, it sounds like they Do have resources to prepare kids for life after high school. My view may be very small, but my neighbor's kids who graduate from Woodrow are off to great schools.

I agree that some DISD schools are scary, but I am not sure that includes all schools in East Dallas.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-11-2011 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: updated quoted post

Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Woodrow's record of putting kids into top colleges is well-documented. Last year the top two went to Northwestern and Yale. This year it's Duke and Wellesley. Four years ago it was Yale and Princeton. Please do a little homework before you make such statements.

I certainly don't think going into the military should be denigrated. Maybe that's 'not good enough' for someone from Highland Park. Woodrow has a very respected and storied ROTC program. It was the largest in the nation for about 30 years. Sgts Bacon and Freeman ran the program for three decades and now the LTC is Edwin Dumas. JROTC

The WW JROTC these days is largely lower-income hispanics and the military provides a good way for them to step up in life and to serve our country.

Maybe Woodrow is scary for someone used to Highland Park. If so, that is very revealing. Moderator cut: orphaned I've never been afraid during my days as a student or in many years of alumni volunteering and attending athletic, music and theater events.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: post comment referred to has been removed

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
As you well know, 75214 encompasses a fair bit more than just Lakewood.
Most of 75214 is in the Lakewood Elementary attendance zone:

http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/eszones2011/Lakewood2011.pdf (broken link)

Some is in Dan D. Rogers which would arguably have a large number of students attending private schools, as the zone is mostly white but has few whites in the school - 5% - also it's a solidly middle to upper middle class area and the school is 90% economically disadvantaged. 75214 also covers part of Lipscomb Elementary which as many posters on here will tell you is quite a success story. I live in that community and I think you could count the private school students very easily. I personally only know of one family who has kids attending Zion and many Zion kids go on to Woodrow (as does this family's kids).

Part of 75223 is also in Lakewood Elementary and the city data numbers for that zip code are:

Students in private schools in grades 1 to 8 (elementary and middle school):

4.3%

Students in private schools in grades 9 to 12 (high school): 28

2.8%

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/zips/75223.html#ixzz1QaONvUSx

Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I certainly don't think going into the military should be denigrated.
Totally agree
Esp since our country has 3 top Academy's that are very hard to get in.

Also, lots of young men and women who can't get inot the Academy's or want a more traditional college expirence will get into the ROTC scholarship program. It's a fantastic way to pay for college.
There is also those who just don't know what they want to do for the rest of lives at 18, (wow really). The military offers a chance to make a living and earn marketable skills and have a GI bill foir college later.

Woodrow is a very good HS and the rest of DISD should be stepping up as well. I love seeing "city" public high schools shine. Just like Paschel in Ft Worth, just wish the others could rise to the occasion.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,060,170 times
I agree that for a lot of kids the military can be a good thing for them. I'm sorry if that came off wrong. It just seemed to me that a lot of kids felt like that was pretty much their only option. My siblings felt that way. They got messed up with a bad crowd at Woodrow. We moved out of Park Cities due to our parents falling out and eventual divorce. Mom didn't have any money so we moved to what we called "the ghetto" (Lakewood at the time) and went to Woodrow. You have to remember, though, that all we had known up to that point was the Park Cities. Woodrow/Lakewood was a far cry from that.

My experience as a student at Woodrow was quite awhile agp - 1991-1992'ish. My siblings were five to ten years younger than me, so I watched them go through their experiences with the school from 1997 - 2002'ish. It didn't seem like much had changed. I'm happy to hear that things might have improved in the last 5 years or so.

It was a very odd school. I remember a science teacher giving out answers to tests because she didn't want her football players (she LOVED the football team) missing any games or practices or anything because of poor grades. I remember a tennis coach who requested backrubs from all the girls on the tennis team. I remember kids selling pickles and sausages in the halls, and kids skipping class and just walking around or spray painting lockers. The bathrooms were always filled with smoke - cigarettes and pot. I was certainly in culture shock for the first few weeks I attended the school. It's almost divided right down the middle between the social classes, On one side you have the poor, the gang members (there was a really scary girl gang when I attended and another boy gang called the East Side Loco's but they weren't as scary), the kids of undocumented workers, the druggies, etc. On the other side you had the rich kids who drove the nice cars and were on the drill team and played football and sang in the choir and did the musicals and lived in nice big houses near White Rock Lake. Those are probably the ones you hear about who go on to the better colleges. And in my experience who had the worst behavior and drinking problems. They had huge parties and the adults seemed to turn a blind eye or respond with "kids will be kids". I don't think it would have mattered what school they attended, though - kids with money and parents who support them will be successful regardless of what school they go to. I was immediately accepted into this crowd because my cousin was on the football team and when they learned I had transferred in from Highland Park I guess they thought I was OK. It was surreal.

It does seem like since we left Texas in 2003 that the area around East Dallas and Lakewood has been rapidly going through the process of urban gentrification. Just as the "M" Streets did in the 80's and 90's. When I've returned to Texas to visit it's really surprising how fast neighborhoods have changed. Areas I used to avoid are now hotbeds for overvalued soulless developments and trendy boutiques and restaraunts. Some might be happy about it and call it progress, but I don't think I'm alone in waxing nostalgic for the old Lakewood magic and East Dallas charm.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Sorry but... there is a "BAD crowd" at every school. Some "bad crowds" just have alot more $$$ and live in alot nice houses etc...

Horrible story last year about a girl from HP who was found dead in a Dallas club from Alcohol poisioning. She was there with 4 boys from HP as well. ALL had fake ID's (very professional ones estimated at about 300.00 each)

Southlake.. I am sure if you have teens you've heard about the incident at a house party involving a 15 year old from Plano.

so BAD is everywhere, it just might be prettier in HP etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas