Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM

25 posts, read 93,457 times

Advertisements

Any Lakewood moms or dads on? Do/did you send your kids to public elementary school? What is the vibe like at Lakewood elementary? More traditional or more progressive in style? I've looked at their website but it's hard to get a feeling from it... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Run a search on this forum..there MANY post about Lakewood and it's public schools.
Also read Lakewooder's posts.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Run a search on this forum..there MANY post about Lakewood and it's public schools.
Also read Lakewooder's posts.
yea, that.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
If you are coming from elite private schools in another part of the country, I think you will be disappointed in any public school in Texas due to the hyper focus on the TAKS test and budget cuts and the large non-English speaking student body in many schools.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:48 PM

114 posts, read 221,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
If you are coming from elite private schools in another part of the country, I think you will be disappointed in any public school in Texas due to the hyper focus on the TAKS test and budget cuts and the large non-English speaking student body in many schools.
Yes, this. We are moving from Nj, which really does have great public schools, and my daughter attends a private, which is even better than the local public. I musr say, after my tour at Lakewood Elementary, we decided against sending our daughter there, at least for next year. She is used to lots of teacher attention and a small school envirnoment. She was very overwhelmed when we visited. I too, was somewhat taken aback by how overcrowded the classes were (mostly in a physical way: in the mods, the kids could barely walk around the desks, and the poor teachers had piles of stuff stacked on the floor). Because of looming budget cuts, I only see this getting worse. I also felt that teaching was very centered on TAKS, which I totally understand, but do not agree with philosphically.

I somehow think I would have liked the other local elementaries more, but the houses we like keep coming up in Lakewood proper, so I never did check them out.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
OP's kids are 4 and 6. Thier school expirence is just begining.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM

256 posts, read 448,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaO View Post
I too, was somewhat taken aback by how overcrowded the classes were (mostly in a physical way: in the mods, the kids could barely walk around the desks, and the poor teachers had piles of stuff stacked on the floor). Because of looming budget cuts, I only see this getting worse. I also felt that teaching was very centered on TAKS, which I totally understand, but do not agree with philosphically.out.
I believe Lakewood is operating at overcapacity; however, to a certain extent this is due to being the victim of their own success. It is a highly desirable school and the area is increasingly filled with young families moving in or opting for Lakewood over private. Did you talk to any parents, hang around the playground after school, call the PTA people, etc?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 AM

114 posts, read 221,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
I believe Lakewood is operating at overcapacity; however, to a certain extent this is due to being the victim of their own success. It is a highly desirable school and the area is increasingly filled with young families moving in or opting for Lakewood over private. Did you talk to any parents, hang around the playground after school, call the PTA people, etc?
I met a few PTA folks, all wonderful people. The parents seem very involved and satisfied with their children's educations. The folks I met are planning on keeping their kids in the public schools through high school, and so I only see Long and Woodrow improving, which is great news whether or not we decide to use them. However, I heard numerous times about how, because of state rules, the number of kids per class won't increase, and I don't believe this. One of the first things Nj did with it's fiscal crisis, was increase the allowable number of kids per class up to 25, and I don't see why Texas wouldn't follow suit, though I don't see how they could stuff more kids in some of those classrooms.

All in all, it looked like a great school, solid academics. But still, it is a large, overcrowded school, which at this point, is not what we are looking for. But I wouldn't say "never". Once we live there, we may change course. For now, i wanted to keep my daughter's school environment as close to what she has now, what with all the changes we are facing.

As someone else pointed out, the op's kids are young. Perhaps the overcrowding won't bother them at all, having nothing to comoare it to.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaO View Post
However, I heard numerous times about how, because of state rules, the number of kids per class won't increase, and I don't believe this.
You are smart to not believe this. It was just on the news a few nights ago about how the ratios are raising due to the budget cuts. I am not sure what was said about the elementary level, but I know it is happening at the middle school and high school levels. (this is an old article. Too lazy to find the current one)

DISD Reductions May Keep Teachers, But Crowd Students « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

If the classrooms are more full now than you are comfortable, I don't see it getting any better any time soon. I think everyone has to make the right decision for THEIR family and THEIR children. As much as some on this board love the local public schools, it isn't the best fit for everyone.
Best of luck to the OP!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
The state-set ratios ARE increasing. Whether districts will be able to hold at current ratios or need to raise depends on their financial situation.

K-5: was 22 students, now 25
6-12: was 25 students, now 35 (!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas