Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
It must be awful to live around all of bad people and be unable to really just move to a higher SES lake. Do you think it is like being tapped in Detroit or Camden NJ. An area with too many renters, an abandonment problem too! From what I can see your lake area is relatively new. Not so many people go back for generations to when the place was wilderness.
Maybe people that are transients?

Much of the area you have chosen does not really date back to founders of Texas, but rather is a product of the post WW2 boom. Cheap oil, good jobs and some really great fun with boats, fishing and water skis. Mom and the kids can stay there too while Dad is Dallas working!

Your also fighting economic trends that may be a powerful as an ocean tide.

Sure there some really bad people. Why do you stay there if things are that difficult?

You are describing a declining transitional area. The abandoned property point is a good one speaks volumes.

I live in the nice area and it is far from "awful". If you will read what I wrote I said I "see" them. I drive past those areas. I'm not "trapped" in a bad area at all.

Um, most lakes in Texas were built post WW2. You must not be from Texas to not know that. Nor are you familiar w/ how lakeside living was developed in Texas. For many years it was not seen as an "exclusive" thing to have a lake house. Most were just weekend getaways and very modest and many were trailers. Now the older run down trailers that the lower incomes and poverty level renters live in. Those that lived there full time were usually low income and many below poverty. It's only been in recent years in newer areas that were not previously developed that the nicer "subdivisions" started popping up. For someone to be in a "new" area of a lakes development they are typically in the higher price ranges and FAR FROM "low income" or such. Many of the newer areas have HOA's that actually forbid trailers or any kind of manufactured housing as well as other codes in order to keep the property values up and the area nice. Such as the one I have a house in.

You should get out more. It is so not what you are envisioning at all. Maybe read a book or two on the history of the lakes in Texas and when they came about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 AM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default Texas Educational System......

[quote=momof2dfw;19893609]

Um, most lakes in Texas were built post WW2. You must not be from Texas to not know that. Nor are you familiar w/ how lakeside living was developed in Texas. For many years it was not seen as an "exclusive" thing to have a lake house. Most were just weekend getaways and very modest and many were trailers. Now the older run down trailers that the lower incomes and poverty level renters live in. Those that lived there full time were usually low income and many below poverty. It's only been in recent years in newer areas that were not previously developed that the nicer "subdivisions" started popping up. For someone to be in a "new" area of a lakes development they are typically in the higher price ranges and FAR FROM "low income" or such. Many of the newer areas have HOA's that actually forbid trailers or any kind of manufactured housing as well as other codes in order to keep the property values up and the area nice. Such as the one I have a house in.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Much of the area you have chosen does not really date back to founders of Texas, but rather is a product of the post WW2 boom. Cheap oil, good jobs and some really great fun with boats, fishing and water skis. Mom and the kids can stay there too while Dad is Dallas working!

Thats is what I wrote! WHo doe not know most of the lakes were made to supply water to the cities after WW2? There is a lack of reading comprehension in Dallas. Just check the government stats.

Durante degli Alighieri (May/June c.1265 – September 14, 1321, if this man was around today likely some of the local conflicts could have been included in his book and could have had a section of people at the lake.

Some of the way people of poor and moderate means have been described
is what the Holllywood Liberal Elites would do in movies.

Tell me about the Hospital situation in Hunt county? as well as what kind of retail is supported? Many of the social problems can be traced to LBJ.
With root in FDR, Texas was one of the key states for FDR's support.

You have to be able to connect the dots like historian James Burke. I take the long view like Edmund Burke. Society is an organic entitiy. Going after poor people people out of meaness and spite, is wrong and counterproductive. It just amounts to an auto immune decease.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Many of the social problems can be traced to LBJ.

Inaccurate on many levels--

and the content of this thread is definitely drifting off-course

Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Many of the social problems can be traced to LBJ.

Inaccurate on many levels--

and the content of this thread is definitely drifting off-course
I totally agree w/ your comment earlier. LOL!

Me's thinks somebody has been doing a little organic farming of their own and consuming too much of their home grown herbs. It's gone more than "drifting off-course". Babble might be a more accurate word to describe the context.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
Hey there are squatters, renters and Meth heads everywhere. Even in the Nice Neighborhoods.

I have seen them in Corinth and when I lived in McKinney too.....Not just trailer parks.....
Yeah, but at least when they live in a house, it wont fall down around them after they've torn off all the metal to sell for more drugs.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Yeah, but at least when they live in a house, it wont fall down around them after they've torn off all the metal to sell for more drugs.
They still have all of the tires that were holding the roof down.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Dude! Stop bogarting that joint, my friend.

Ronnie

Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default Other then the Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Dude! Stop bogarting that joint, my friend.

Ronnie
I would take offense, from someone other then The Court Jester!

I am fine with other people smoking weed, but don't imbibe myself.

It can be rather shocking to listen when people sometimes talk about all of the scrips there on. I just don't chime in being extremely deviant since I tend to mirror Dr Savage on big Pharma.

Some simpletons were giving me crap over looking at property where there are no HOA's and not much in the way of code enforcement past reasonable health and safety. But I did get some very good advice both on the thread and off thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,040 times
One hour north east of Dallas is some very nice places to look at for living.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,139 times
I played golf at Texas Star, one of the best courses in DFW, in Euless.
Next to the tee box on, I think 13, there is a large property adjacent to the course, with old Nash cars, old wringer washing machines, all sitting out in the yard, rusting for no good reason. Our regular group would get there and yell out, "hey buddy, do you have a bumper for a 52 Studebaker?"

"I have a pond, and a pool. The pond would be good for you."-Caddyshack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas