Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:44 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,814,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Before the Basses, you didn't go into downtown unless you worked there or your parents were taking you ice skating at Tandy.

Either way, you were gone by sundown if you valued your life.
This is what really brought about change in downtown Fort Worth.

YouTube - ‪Fort Worth Tornado-What We Saw‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,529,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
This is what really brought about change in downtown Fort Worth.

YouTube - ‪Fort Worth Tornado-What We Saw‬‏

My memory has downtown Fort Worth and Sundance Square really coming alive around the mid- to late-90's. We went down there a lot in high school to that Barnes&Noble and the movie theater that are right next to each other. Occasionally, we'd see concerts at the convention center and Bass Hall. We weren't old enough to do much else down there. All of this was around 1997-1999 for me. A lot more restaurants, bars, and things have continued to move downtown since the Tornado, it's certainly picked up even more, but I don't remember that really being a catalyst for much else other than the high-end condos that occupy the space now. The Basses have dumped millions and millions of dollars into downtown. I think they deserve a little more credit than you are giving them.

Quote:
The revitalization of downtown Fort Worth is done. The only substantial addition to Fort Worth skyline was the Omni Hotel. Austin on the other hand has seen a complete transformation in its skyline. We are still waiting on the TRV and uptown to get rolling with some substantial development. The only new we keep hearing about the project is the city messing with the river and its levees itself but the development around the river has yet to happen.
Personally, I'm not worried about a ton of new skyscrapers in Fort Worth. They did a great job of refurbishing the older art-deco buildings and putting them to use, which I'd choose any day over demolishing historic buildings and building from scratch. Downtown is amazing on the street level and that's good enough for me. And I don't think DT or Sundance has peaked yet either.

Losing the street car was terrible, and I wasn't aware of the Basses' involvement in that. Bad decision on their part. I don't think that diminishes all of their accomplishments in the city.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:40 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,159,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Also Near Southside is growing rapidly too in Fort Worth....
yeah, Magnolia Avenue is on the Near Southside and is part of all that revitalization

Old 07-25-2011, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 52,246 times
No city is ever done if the population is going up. Detroit, done for now, population dropping. Fort Worth constant downtown construction and renovation. Plus the Trinity River Vision which will double the size of downtown. Fort Worth just doent allow many super tall structures to be built. But is still always getting better.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM

990 posts, read 2,297,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastitan123 View Post
No city is ever done if the population is going up. Detroit, done for now, population dropping. Fort Worth constant downtown construction and renovation. Plus the Trinity River Vision which will double the size of downtown. Fort Worth just doent allow many super tall structures to be built. But is still always getting better.
DT simply isn't getting the demand to build tall. Seems weird because its a popular hangout that had the benefit of a single family's vision, but it seems to sit on what it is. The downtown Dallas area is the opposite. Because prices have remained low for a downtown due to owners sitting on land and disconnectivity, its still very feasible to do large single projects, so you still see larger developments built. Its an organic being. Since its not a single developer choosing a single area in DT Dallas, it will take some of these projects eventually running into each other to create a populous. But it has to be a mix, not just one type of development to create that type of cynergy.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,417,809 times
Why isn't Downtown Dallas nice like Downtown Fort Worth?
Quote:
Just Curious? Why can't Downtown Dallas get it together? Downtown Fort Worth is so nice, clean, cultured, pretty, well maintained, shops, apartments, Art, businesses, etc, it seems to be progressing more than Dallas? Why?

[+] Rate this post positively
....It has gotten it together.....DT dallas is progressing more right now.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM

36 posts, read 67,784 times
Downtown Dallas is no Downtown Austin..... or even Downtown San Antonio....

Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM

6,670 posts, read 9,890,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaHubba1 View Post
Just Curious? Why can't Downtown Dallas get it together? Downtown Fort Worth is so nice, clean, cultured, pretty, well maintained, shops, apartments, Art, businesses, etc, it seems to be progressing more than Dallas? Why?
Downtown Fort Worth is smaller than Downtown Dallas. It's nearly impossible for every area of Downtown to be vibrant and clean.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,417,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChiller View Post
Downtown Dallas is no Downtown Austin..... or even Downtown San Antonio....
I know...Dallas is bigger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas