U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,255 posts, read 2,859,510 times
Reputation: 3779

Advertisements

Whats going on on Lancaster? I read some one bought the public market building, but what else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,729 posts, read 12,564,099 times
Reputation: 3778
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
That's right, we have a legitimate, internationally recognized skyline. One that inspired the creation of films such as Robo-Cop and Surrogates. When the producers of those films wanted a locale that looked like a city of the future, they didn't chose LA, nor Manhattan and they certainly didn't select Austin or San Antonio. See call me crazy, but like most people, I use skyscrapers as a type of visual marker of where DT is in a city. Now granted in the Sun-Belt that can burn you as cities like Dallas and Atlanta have large concentrations of skyscrapers well outside of the CBD, but as a general rule I have found around the world that if you go to the biggest buildings in a town that's what most people in said town call downtown.

What exactly constitutes DT SA? The Tower of the Americans and.....well I guess that's the only thing you can identify from outside the loop so not much of a DT there. San Antonio is it's own creature with it's own vibe and it would be unfair to compare their skyline with that of the bigger cities. I'm happy that Austin woke up and decided to build some skyscrapers, but they have a Long way to go to catch the likes of Big-D or H-Town. Right now Austin would do better to compare themselves to Fort Worth or Richardson as they have about the same sized skyline as Austin.
Richardson has a skyline?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,255 posts, read 2,859,510 times
Reputation: 3779
I guess around the high 5. I didn't know they had one either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,589 posts, read 20,481,621 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Whats going on on Lancaster? I read some one bought the public market building, but what else?
The only thing we know is that Bob Simpson bought it. Other than that, it hasn't been revealed yet.

As for Lancaster itself, there's plans for 2 mixed-use buildings ("Lancaster Place")

Then there's the abandoned T&P Warehouse that was originally planned to be apartments or lofts, but that's on hold.... I think. There's also a want to turn the old Post Office into City Hall, but who know's what's going on with that?

There are some projects going on (mainly ground level) but as someone who works and (planning to) live in DTFW, I can tell ya first hand that WE need to work on ours as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM
 
37 posts, read 62,475 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
That's right, we have a legitimate, internationally recognized skyline. One that inspired the creation of films such as Robo-Cop and Surrogates. When the producers of those films wanted a locale that looked like a city of the future, they didn't chose LA, nor Manhattan and they certainly didn't select Austin or San Antonio. See call me crazy, but like most people, I use skyscrapers as a type of visual marker of where DT is in a city. Now granted in the Sun-Belt that can burn you as cities like Dallas and Atlanta have large concentrations of skyscrapers well outside of the CBD, but as a general rule I have found around the world that if you go to the biggest buildings in a town that's what most people in said town call downtown.

What exactly constitutes DT SA? The Tower of the Americans and.....well I guess that's the only thing you can identify from outside the loop so not much of a DT there. San Antonio is it's own creature with it's own vibe and it would be unfair to compare their skyline with that of the bigger cities. I'm happy that Austin woke up and decided to build some skyscrapers, but they have a Long way to go to catch the likes of Big-D or H-Town. Right now Austin would do better to compare themselves to Fort Worth or Richardson as they have about the same sized skyline as Austin.
Well, I was just talking about stuff to do in those cities downtowns not skylines.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Denton, Texas, Republic of
124 posts, read 229,101 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Richardson has a skyline?
Yes it's called the Telecom Corridor. It's not Dallas, but they have about a dozen high-rises (12+ floors) and dozens of low-rises sprinkled throughout. I'd say 75 in Richardson is at least as built up as Las Colinas, if perhaps not as well planned.

All buildings | Buildings | EMPORIS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Denton, Texas, Republic of
124 posts, read 229,101 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChiller View Post
Well, I was just talking about stuff to do in those cities downtowns not skylines.
Gotcha, my bad. I really did think you were talking about the skylines.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,729 posts, read 12,564,099 times
Reputation: 3778
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
Yes it's called the Telecom Corridor. It's not Dallas, but they have about a dozen high-rises (12+ floors) and dozens of low-rises sprinkled throughout. I'd say 75 in Richardson is at least as built up as Las Colinas, if perhaps not as well planned.

All buildings | Buildings | EMPORIS
That is the only thing I could think of as well. It certainly wouldn't be at old downtown, Beltline and Greenville area. So it is north of Mt. Richardson.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
 
1,318 posts, read 2,350,497 times
Reputation: 761
I think that the City of Dallas is going to do some great things in the next few years...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
 
4,728 posts, read 6,056,072 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I think that the City of Dallas is going to do some great things in the next few years...
I do too...I just cant wait for all the cranes again...This time they should be Downtown with all of the projects waiting to break ground.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top